Page:
PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I practiced last night more than I should've which made me think...wonder...What are your practice guidelines? Is it by mood and emotion or do you all have a regime that you follow?I try to practice an average of an hour a night, alternating toys on a nightly basis.Sometimes, if I feel I am on a roll (like last night) or if I am upset then I usually go for hours.I was just curious if I am masochistic or just insane right along with the rest of you! tongue------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Jeff Duncanmember
140 posts

Posted:
i practice 4 hours a day everydaythen i take a break for a little while, then i practice like mad again.on a rave night i practice 4 hours in the morning have lunch, 2 more hours a bit later and 1 hour just before the rave and roughly 10 hours at the rave cause im usially high.

dangerboyoriginal member
205 posts

Posted:
Well. Considering the sick moves you describe to us, it's no wonder you practice so much. Do you have alternate employment, or is this it? I usually practice about 5 times a week or an hour or two each time. I need to set a regime as to what toys to play with. When it was just single staff and poi, i'd bring both and alternate. Now that I have at least 5 things I can play with with a degree of proficiency, I can't lug everything out every night. I definitely need to play with cross, flags, and double staff more, though they are coming along well. After all, double staff and chains are pretty similar. I digress. My ideal training regime would be to do yoga and stretching for an hour or two every day, and do three or four hours of practice at least 5 days a week. Unfortunately, I need to feedmyself, and work takes time. Feh.

Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath, fire my spirit

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Do you do anything other than poi? SOunds like it fills your day? Man, that might be nice! I have those pesky business end of the performance job things to do as well as being a responsible parent! Holy cow! shockedOr do you just forgo sleep?------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele

Jeff Duncanmember
140 posts

Posted:
well i dopoi, bit o staff, rope spear, and multiple poi (the most i have done at once is 8 with all different colour glow sticks.... trippy)

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Good question! I try to practice unlit at least an hour a day. That's between torches, poi, transfer/eating routines. I do more if I'm inspired or really want to get something down. I've recently taken up a practice that my teacher recommended and I poo-pooed at the time. I've made a list of all the tricks I do. Then I break it down to all the variations that are possible (or at least those I think as possible) and practice those. I also rank on a three point system them according to how well I have them down. This keeps me working on the things I need to work on, rather than goofing off with the tricks I already do well (as I am inclined to do). It's also real easy for me to see how I improve over time. It's a great morale booster. Diana

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
That's an awesome idea Diana!!! I have a "logue" book of the moves we do and the possible variations/combinations I can come up with, and that list is always growing but I have the same problem as you. I like to rehearse the ones I know well because it feeds my confidence and kind-of lax off on the ones I don't do as well. It seems that your point system would be really great motivation. Do you treat yourself once you get three stars for ten tricks type thing? A new costume piece or expansion for a toy? That kind-of bribery works with my son, I imagine it'd work for me too!!!! Sometimes my mentality isn't so far from his 5 yo mind! winkThanks for the suggestion!------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele

jessejamesmember
22 posts

Posted:
shityall make me feel like a slackerive got to say that between staffs and juggling i can only seem to find an hour or so every couple days i used to practice with more disciplne(sp) when there was another to practice with i find that i am more motivated to work on stuff is there is someone else learning withthough ive got to say that finding this site has inspired to learn new stuffthanks alotjessejames

burnin down the house

moonglowBRONZE Member
32 posts

Posted:
I like Dianna's idea - mostly as a motivational thing. I started out living and breathing poi - but now that Ive got most of the basics down, only hit myself occasionally and have a reasonable flow when freestylin Ive slipped a bit to just occasional practice - the actual challenge of improving was a bit part of the original attraction, so that should work well smilethanks Dianna smile

I wish I could jump like that, he thought. Some can and some can't. That's how it is.
Winne-the-Pooh.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
I love this board!One of my new years resolutions was to dedicate more time to improving my body skills. I've been studying martial arts for over 6 years now, but last year I slacked a bit. I'm going to get back into that, but my true love is twirling. However, my martial arts background has given me some ideas on improving my twirling. Basically, I'm going to write down all of the moves I know with staff and Poi, and make up a series of Katas (otherwise known as Patterns or Forms) ranging from Blue Belt (simple moves and transitions which form the basis for more complex techniques) through to Black Belt (highly complex and stylised poi moves, combined with difficult stances and body movement). Once I have the moves mapped, I will be able to practice the Katas, and thus work them into a form of meditation...a state I have been striving for with my twirling ever since I got over the faster is better twirling thing I used to do :)If I do this - It will be easy to 'Grade' myself in the same way I'd grade one of my students (using a video camera).and to warm up for a night of poiing? just run through all the Katas from blue to Black. Not only will it look impressive to anyone watching, but it will put me in the right state of mind for the twirling to come :)Josh.

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
JoshWhat type of karate do you do. I am styudying kyokushin and was studying Gojyu ryu for a couple of months. I would imagine you are doing Go gyu ryuu as the kata are very stylised and have a beautiful flow. Poi is wonderful on its own but also a great way of getting your hands moving. I know people had trouble getting used to co-ordinating their hands when they first started using Poi. Me too using nun-chunks - couldn't get the same flow using my left hand. Poi has helped the dexterity of my left hand without a doubt..rambling and mixing up topics again. Anyhow..Be interested to know what karate you are doing!Kat------------------"London is a city coming down from its trip and there's going to be a lot of refugees" - Danny,Withnail & I

Come faeries, take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame.

- W B Yeats

Purple Dragonmember
23 posts

Posted:
Wow! I feel so slack now. I always thought I wasn't that good at poi cos I had only be doing for awhile but I think maybe some (or a lot) more practice would hlep.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Thanks Pele and Lurkapup. I'm glad to have contributed something that helps. You know, I do reward myself in a way, geek-girl that I am. When I get down some new tricks, I redo the list (I keep it on the computer) to reflect the new "ratings" and then add new tricks I want to learn. It's so rewarding to see the list grow. And adding new tricks. It's so cool to try a trick and not be ready for it and then work on other stuff and then add the trick that was too hard before and get it down. Wu-hoooooooo!!Josh, thanks so much for reminding me of the martial arts aspect. When I first started fire I was playing t'ai chi as well. I ended up applying at lot of the movements to my fire work and using chan-ssu chi gung to warm up. I've slacked off as well in the last year, but I've started up again and hope to keep at it. I find a great meditative connection between fire and martial arts as well. Thanks for reminding me. DianaBoth fire and martial

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
I've been studying Kim Bushi Ryu for almost 7 years...It's a freestyle Karate, taking the best bits from Judo, Aikido, Thai boxing, and Western Kick boxing styles...with a sprinkling of moves from more Tranditional forms....We also have a discipline and respect style which is similar to more traditional styles (Bowing, Belts, etc)...I've also been doing Ninjitsu for about 5 months...The weapons part of the Karate training gave me my first entry to twirling...Josh

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Practice Practice Practice. It doesnt make perfect, but it certainly helps you to get closer to perfect.I try to practice at least three times a week, but am having the problem previously mentioned, where I have about ten different toys I should be practicing with.Going to both the Monday and Friday juggling clubs as often as possible helps, as does using my unicycle for transport as much as poss (I must look silly riding home from work in my suit!).But as I live in an apartment in town, staff, poi, unicycling and all the other not-so-safe-indoors stuff can be hard when it rains or the weather is rotten.My biggest problem/advantage is that the only places nearby to prcatice all have high foot traffic, so I end up putting a hat out, even when I practice, this means I get plenty of crowd control time and sometimes a lot more money than paid gigs, but it does tend to make me concentrate on the same tried-and-true tricks, and not so much on the harder things, such as spinning the staff on my feet as mentioned in another thread.Yes, I'd love to do this full time, but when you can work 40 hrs a week and then double that income at nights and on the weekend, it seems there are definite financial advantages to doing both!Cheers------------------Charleshttps://juggling.co.nz

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Knagimember
397 posts

Posted:
Wow no one has dropped this in yet. I began poi for many reason's one was because I couldn't find a good enteratining workout. Poi has been changing my life from the moment I had 3in glowsticks. My whole upperbody is becoming refined and It's so nice to watch my stomach deflate :P I Power spin for about 2 hours a day 5 days a week and always break a sweet or I don't stop till I do. When going to these wonderful festivals that I also didn't know about till poi. I spin from the time to sun goes down till it comes back up. Burning Corn was a one night deal so I did some daytime spinning too however I just went to a two night campout if it wasn't for the girl on the beach rolling offering backrubs I'd still be a knot. I dunno just how much I'm looking forward to this next festival with three nights to spin!P.S Jeff I thought I was obsessed.. But you my friend need some help :P------------------We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonMost Memerable crowd saying "Hey look that dude's gonna set himself on fire again!"

We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonIt's going to come from a direction you didn't predict at a moment of chaos which you didn't see coming. -- NYC

mikeybmember
93 posts

Posted:
My practice regime depends a lot on the weather. And Autumn's drawing in now.In the summer, as long as I'm not too knacked from work, I like to get at least an hour in with the poi of an evening, watching the sunset, walkman blasting. Weekends, again, aim for the hour.Sometimes I do it, sometimes not. What I have noticed recently is that I don't learn new stuff in the first hour. New stuff happens in the second hour, by which time I'm loose, warmed up, tranced-out a bit, and either tired or slightly bored enough to start doing things differently. And then if something new does appear, I'll tend to stick with it for a good 1/2 hour just to get the body memory started.And if the rain comes, well, I don't have the ceilings for indoor practice so, nowt.And I like to light up once a week even if it's only for a couple of short burns.mikeyB

LillacSILVER Member
10 posts

Posted:
How do you guys practice sooo long? OMG I feel so outa shape right now. I guess my practice poi are just really heavy, but it starts to hurt after about ten minutes. I try to space it out through the day, but I have trouble trying to go from move to move. However, the more moves I learn the easier it becomes. I guess I should try to at least go for an hour practice. Thanks for the advice!

~ I spin to be dance, when I dance I am free...and freedom is one step closer to home!

Lillacmess @ Deviant Art

SkattoGOLD Member
Walking on whims...
687 posts

Posted:
I want to practice with my staff more, but the socks I tied over the wicks keep splitting. So I can't practice on concrete without it ruining my wicks.

And its been peeing down with rain, so I don't really wanna practice on the damp grass, because I always slip when I try and do a Jesus or something. tongue ubblol

I seem to practice on-and-off. Depending on my mood and the weather.
Ideally, I'd like to practice everyday - but due to the weather I resort to indoor juggling. frown

Skatto

"Fly like a mouse,
Run like a cushion,
Be the small bookcase."

For goodness sake, don't aggravate the otters!!!

mparkerSILVER Member
70 posts

Posted:
I just spin for my own personal enjoyment, not a performer, but I practice for at least an hour 4 -6 nights a week. I have to deliberately force myself to take a day or two off. I do staff, poi, I have a set of fans that I just don't seem to be getting the hang of, and I started hooping on Tuesday.

I usually focus on only one toy at a time, a month of poi, a month or two of staff, with some fans tossed in here and there. So it'll be hooping for a while. Depending on weather and how into the flow I get, I can be out for about an hour, or go on to two or more.

It's getting tough, though with the Texas summer building. We've been getting a lot of rain lately, too so it's a muggy, steaming-hot, slippery-grass, mosquitos eating you alive kind of weather system about to go into the 90% humidity and you might as well spin in a sauna weather system.

Funny thing about spinning. A couple of years ago I would get miserable around May, when the temp rose above 75F. Wouldn't even be able to go outside without being miserable - let alone excercise and, honest to goodness, I didn't know how to sweat. My body thought it was dying when I'd get a little moisture going.

Now I'm out there, it's almost July with temps of 90F "feels like 100", I end up drippingly soaked everytime I go out to play and it seems the most natural thing in the world. I'm HAPPY doing it. And I'm miserable when I'm not.

I'm wondering if I should buy a water-sprinkler and put on some goggles and just spin in the sprinkler when the heat gets completely out of hand this coming month.

Uhhhh...what were we talking about again??? I am Tangent-Girl.

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
i would think wet toys would be hard to twirl.

when i first started i was outside every weekday, i would put some music on and practise until the cd ended, then if i wasnt satisfied i would put on a new cd and spin til i got too hot.

Im in AZ and the temp is an average of 100+ each day, now that the school i work at is out i can practise in the A/Ced gym and thats pretty nice, watch some of megs vid then go try that stuff, stop and re-analize her vids and try again. i try to spin my staff at least 30 mins everyday but offen its more then that. i dont do fire much, i need to start doing that more to get more comfortable with the strobing and fire in general.

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

jarleGOLD Member
Lv15 Ranger
1,489 posts

Posted:
Damn, I feel like a recovering slacker now.

I used to twirl for half an hour a day, which was all I could manage with uni, work etc. Now that my holidays have started though (yay!) I've bumped that up to an hour whenever I can, and I find myself more motivated to work on a technique that I nearly have, even if 'times up' and the sun is going down.

Kupo!

janatheGOLD Member
18 posts

Posted:
I usually like to play with my poi about an hour or so in the evening. I am lucky cause I can do it indoors when its hot. I went a little too long after a lesson the other night, 1.5 hours for the lesson, came home and played for almost 2 hours, went to bed and when I woke I started again. I was learning how to really move around with my poi, so now my legs hurt so bad I can hardly move. It's been 2 days since I really spun and I am mad at myself!!! I guess another day and I'll be back to "normal".
I guess you have to kind of gadge what your practing and how much each time to work on that specific move. Maybe I've learned my lesson?

brittleGOLD Member
131 posts

Posted:
practise whenever the mood takes me rearly, find it is great when i am feeling lathargic that i can go out and have a spin and feel energised. also weve just hd a thunderstorm so i thought id have some fun and go out and spin in it with my socks, was great fun

find aswell if i cant do a new move after many mulitple tries to move on to something else and try it again the next day after some sleep and it usually clicks into place, the mind is a wonderfull thing =D

What to do in case of fire??? LET IT BURN!

Silver_BlazeSILVER Member
7 posts

Posted:
Well I feel like a slacker.
I think I'm gonna go spin some more now.

TribalBeatsSiouxSILVER Member
72 posts

Posted:
I try to practice a hour or two a day, but I have to practice at work in the stairwell of the car park because I have a chaotic schedule.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Being a beginner, I practice for about an hour a day, 7 days a week. I do it to lose weight and center myself. I also picked up yoga for stretching excersizes before poi.

As far as my moves go, I find one thing to work on and keep going until I get it.

72 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Anuebunnie

Being a beginner, I practice for about an hour a day, 7 days a week. I do it to lose weight and center myself. I also picked up yoga for stretching excersizes before poi.

As far as my moves go, I find one thing to work on and keep going until I get it.

I have always wanted to take on yoga.

I NEED to just stay with one move until I have it down, but being new and all, I get excited to try different things.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
So far yoga is nice. I'm finding my legs are not falling asleep as easily anymore, which is great since I always had that problem kayaking. For me its all about centering right now.

72 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Anuebunnie

So far yoga is nice. I'm finding my legs are not falling asleep as easily anymore, which is great since I always had that problem kayaking. For me its all about centering right now.

I need to be more centered in my life right now due to my chaotic work schedule and yoga would help me to be more flexible too biggrin

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
LOL indeed it would. Yoga would definitely help you center but your Poi can also do the same. Its all about meditation..... thats bull.... its about feeling healthy...... no...... I mean its about...... Oh heck.... for me its about getting myself at a better weight and just doing something before I waste away.

Page: