Forums > Social Chat > The difficult transition back to nonspinny people

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
TheApprovingNinjaFrom the Ashes of a Ninja Rise THE HIPS OF RAGE
371 posts

Posted:
This is going to sound really stuck up and I'll probably get flamed but it's something that's been on my mind for a while.

After spending a weekend at clapham or even just a day down in brixton I find that when I go back to my non juggling/spinny friends that things sometimes get a little strained. Jokes that would have gone on for hours with juggly people get a giggle then drop to the ground, people can't catch (not that jugglers can catch things anyway), if I go to turn the key in someone to make them work again I just get a weird look, and the energy and vitality that I get from the whole scene is missing, and they have green rizzla which is just terrible.
I still love my friends and love to hang out with them but sometimes it's a bit of a struggle for the first day back in "normal" life.
and althougth I know it's sacralige to try and do ping/pong outside of the scene I've tried to teach some friends of mine becuase it just makes life easier and no one gets it.

I know this sounds really moany and no I don't think I'm somehow better than my friends now. I just feel that I've met so many cool people not one of whom I don't like since becoming a fire spinner that it's weird meeting people who don't have the same kind of outlook.
there's not really a point to this but it's been kind of freaking me out that it takes a while to connect with my other friends now.

Viva UGLY STAFF

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:

:laughs manically: hahaHAAAA!! another one that can never go back - don't even try captain, we have you now...

ping?

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
PONG!!

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
never mind captain, my non spoin mates say that i embarase them, when i do it, and that i should put them away cos i look like a t**l!

i just say i dont care, i can do it, and you just hit yourself in teh nuts!

happy days

Ping/Pong

Step (el-nombrie)

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
Oh dear, another person sucked in by the poi cult.

You do know at the end of every summer you all combust spontaneously into flame if you attend every week, either that or you are driven quite insane - Look at Coleman and Jon

It can be hard to juggle (yes, a poor pun but not intentional) different groups of friends, at the moment you have met a set of friends that you relate to and that is cool, but try and not neglect your other friends. As time passes you may drift away from groups of friends as you discover you really have nothing in common anymore or get together less frequently as life fills up with new people and experiences.

Enjoy - but remember to flee when the madness starts

Come faeries, take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame.

- W B Yeats

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
You have civilian friends?

Isn't that a bit weird?

i tend to find normal people hardly ever talk about spinning or the new move that they've just got. And they never ever smell of paraffin or are covered wiht soot marks.

Weirdos....

Meh

telicI don't want a title.
940 posts

Posted:
Not fair.

I don't have any poi friends to ditch my old bunch for.

E pluribus unum, baby.

King Of Bongoaddict
522 posts

Posted:
the worst is when you are watching what is actually a really interesting film but instantly notice someone juggling fireclubs in the background and ignore the plot for the next five minutes going "ooooh..."
doh!
aint seen too many normal people lately...

Your life is ending one minute at a time...
So live it.

TheApprovingNinjaFrom the Ashes of a Ninja Rise THE HIPS OF RAGE
371 posts

Posted:
I am slowly converting my normal friends by teaching them how to juggle when they're not looking. I'll just toss them a set of balls and do the ol' juggle monkey. Most aren't to interested in spinning though and when I explain how much fun it is to nearly set yourself on fire I get weird looks.
ah well I like juggly people better anyway
skin up cole!!!!!!!!!!!

Viva UGLY STAFF

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

Pink...?BRONZE Member
Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured
6,140 posts

Posted:
All my non-spinning friends have slowly drifted away. The only people i actually see anymore are poi people.

But i don't mind

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

AlienfoxSILVER Member
130 posts

Posted:
I’ve got some weird poi friends that could really do with some help.
I mean they started way too weird, and then loads of weird poi peeps from all over kept sleeping there (and some truly scary staff folk, and unfortunately some of those odd juggling types)
And now, well, they’re obsessed.
They were talking about trying to fly over the Hyde Park with some poi at the weekend!
Honestly!
They need some normal people going and staying at their flat. So attach all your normal friends to a postcard and send them to Hells’n’Bambam Flat, Essex, England, Earth.

Non-Https Image Link

- Alienfox -

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
whats so wrong about green rizla?

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
*ahem*
Green Rizla are exactly the same as Red Rizla, but the corners are cut off, so that you can tell which end is sticky without looking (but not which side. Which could be remedied by only cutting off one corner, but that'd just be too clever)
King Size green rizla do not have the corners cut off for a reason totally unknown to me. This means that Green King Size Rizla are exactly the same as King Size Red Rizla, but just come in a different colour packet. Which is just plain confusing and wrong.
Oh, and they're thick and taste of burny paper.
Blue Rizla kick ass.
Silver Rizla kick two asses.
Liquorice Rizla make you go:
"hmm do i like this? i can't tell. how strange."
well, thats what they do to me anyhoo.

my non-spinny friends are also strange. its not like we've got the monopoly on oddness you know. although we may well have the trivial pursuit.

ooh, that was nearly funny. Quick! Someone pat me on the head so i develop a positive association and do it again.

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
*starts patting Si's head like the bongo that it is*

TIMMY!

triple wordscoremember
75 posts

Posted:
My mates that dont spin think its quite cool, but most of them are used to it from Jon and Chris.

My mates at work just think its strange. They dont get why i want to swing balls around!!

Some people will just never understand!!

Cant Sleep Or The Clowns Will Get Me!!!!

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
I think I know what you mean. The interaction & energy within the juggling community is very different to other groups of people. Different is good but you've got to strike a balance or in a while you'll be wondering what 'normal' people do with their lives.

If anyone knows what they do do, please let me know!

brodiemanold hand
1,024 posts

Posted:
i came down to the common for the first time (so i guess im a common virgin) ive only just got in to the juggling thing and i have to say im hooked started on poi (got my fire ones too but im too scared to use them) got devil sticks 4 my birthday no im hooked on them too, tried to explain why all all this stuff is fantastic to work colleagues all i get back from them is blank faces, i guess you are a juggle person or your not. anoter thing is that everybody dodn there was insanley nice which was a real breath of fresh air too.

brodiemanold hand
1,024 posts

Posted:
i came down to the common for the first time (so i guess im a common virgin) ive only just got in to the juggling thing and i have to say im hooked started on poi (got my fire ones too but im too scared to use them) got devil sticks 4 my birthday no im hooked on them too, tried to explain why all all this stuff is fantastic to work colleagues all i get back from them is blank faces, i guess you are a juggle person or your not. anoter thing is that everybody dodn there was insanley nice which was a real breath of fresh air too.

a verrrrrrrryyyyyyyy happy mike

SmallBoy - xCarpal \'Tunnel
2,737 posts

Posted:
People (the normals) can either share in what I hold important, or I end up losing interest in their lives in return.
I'm happy to say that all the spinny people I know fall into the first category, and I'm in the process of converting the masses into acceptance.

.....and the common has mystical powers that ensnare the weird, gifted, and friendly alike but we can't talk about that - shhhhh.....

Small Lardy Person In Disguise

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
welcome to the dark side....there's no turning back now. if your normal friends think you are wierd, you should try unicycling....then they think you are insane and should be locked up

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

soldaribusy-tofu!
133 posts

Posted:
Gee, that happens to me when I sever from my gaming sessions and hang out with my 'mundane' friends... they don't seem to get it when I say I had to make a save vs boredom, state the DC level of an action, or say 'sneak-attack!'. they all think I'm a freak, but they love me for it (something about me being unique and it being o-kay)...

I guess in the juggling/spinning/community you get the same sort of 'insides' that others don't get. So far I've only gotten good reactions from my friends and family (I had my big-brother say: "yeah! That's my sister!!!).

Eventually your friends (the mondane ones) will get used to your 'strangeness' and everything should be cool again... Just don't run off with the traveling-circus (yet).

/soldari

there is no better way to say I love you than with the gift of a spatula!

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Dom had a non-spinny girlfriend. So he must know what he's talking about.....

Meh

cosmic_circusmember
10 posts

Posted:
tis a difficult one as if you can twirl juggle whatever and you are not the best the insiders think your average and then the outsiders think you have extra 'coolnes' as you do something a bit wacky and don't love you for who you are. hmmm, life tis a bit odd

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Actually today I got half way through the story of how i lost a nipple piercing to my electroglo poi when i realised i was talking to a pair of civilians (whom I haven't told I spin cos I'm not sure if their intellect can cope with the concept of fire arts).

So I kind of let the story drift and they went back to talking about boys and holidays n frivolous stuff like that.

I keep trying to "come out" at work. Hold up my hand and say "my name is C@ntus Fraggle and I spin poi/staff for fun and profit".

Not plucked up the courage yet though.....

Meh

Boneyardmember
22 posts

Posted:
I have nothing in common with most poi people except poi, so this one is easy. I am fortunate enough to have a great group of friends that I have known for years (some 3-4, some 20+), and all of them are genius-geeks who understand all-consuming obsessions. One day it's network security, the next it's fire dancing. You know how it goes.

A witty saying proves nothing.- Voltaire (1694-1778)

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by simian:
*ahem*
Green Rizla are exactly the same as Red Rizla, but the corners are cut off, so that you can tell which end is sticky without looking (but not which side. Which could be remedied by only cutting off one corner, but that'd just be too clever)
King Size green rizla do not have the corners cut off for a reason totally unknown to me. This means that Green King Size Rizla are exactly the same as King Size Red Rizla, but just come in a different colour packet. Which is just plain confusing and wrong.
Oh, and they're thick and taste of burny paper.
Blue Rizla kick ass.
Silver Rizla kick two asses.
Liquorice Rizla make you go:
"hmm do i like this? i can't tell. how strange."
well, thats what they do to me anyhoo.

my non-spinny friends are also strange. its not like we've got the monopoly on oddness you know. although we may well have the trivial pursuit.

ooh, that was nearly funny. Quick! Someone pat me on the head so i develop a positive association and do it again.

thanks for that insight and for all these years id been told that red ones were heavier than green...
although personally i cant detetet the difference, when smoked between, blue/red/swans/green/envelopes...etc

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

telicI don't want a title.
940 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by C@ntus:
I keep trying to "come out" at work. Hold up my hand and say "my name is C@ntus Fraggle and I spin poi/staff for fun and profit".

Not plucked up the courage yet though.....

Just do it, man! It'll be okay.

I came out at work last week, and it was fine. My boss has decided that it counts as dancing and is acceptable, our secretary is enthralled, and the wardens who were guarding our client (I work at a criminal defense firm) promised to tell all their cop friends to cheer fire spinners on instead of arresting us, should the chance arise.

E pluribus unum, baby.

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
yo!

totally understand where your comming from, Id do some kick ass move infront of my civilian freids and theyd just go 'ug, yes, very nice.' and Id be left sayinf 'Dont you see what this MEANS?', They also get very tired of me goin 'oohohohoh, you gotta see this new move...'

Spinny peaple are execptionly nice and funny, I think because as mentioned above they have more in common than just thier species. However I have some Kick Ass civilian friends who really respect what I do so I aint ever gonna leave em for the clapam crew!

thats not to say I wont move to london and spen the next year playing Ping!

T

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
This is a great thread. Thanks Capn Polyester!

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
quote:
Id do some kick ass move infront of my civilian freids and theyd just go 'ug, yes, very nice.' and Id be left sayinf 'Dont you see what this MEANS?', They also get very tired of me goin 'oohohohoh, you gotta see this new move...'

annoying isn't it.

I heard the same, that green are between red and blue. I think they just plain suck, green Swan is the way forward.

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

Page: