Forums > Videos > Drews Poi and Stick Video Blog

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
clap wow

You'll find more posts to more links to video clips in every post I make in this thread - Look out for 3 angels angel angel angel

smile

Todays video for your pleasure:

Baton twirling - Sheryl Welykholowa, Jill Ford, Stacy Singer - Triple Threat

Linky linky

Details: On stage probably 2002 . A super tight performances from world champion standard baton twirlers.

Amazingly talented trio including Stacy Singer doing monster rolls - a move apparently invented for her and remamed matrix by the edinburgh staff twirlers.

See Glitzy stuff, 3 baton juggling, contact sequence and some qualilty strutting about.

If you like this, make a post below. If you have any requests, I can post them too. biggrin

Dr Ew rolleyes

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Written by: Glåss

angel angel angel
Magic on tuesday
I am indebted to Mr Coleman for sending me this link, its a good un.... he wrote:

Click this for some easy-to-get-to videos of my current favourite performer, cyril takayama.
the shadow trick and the briefcase illusion are pretty good if you are pressed for time and can't be bothered to trawl through the lot of them).
even though the presentation is in japanese, the quality of his work is still obvious."

Ok its manipulation/ magic not poi and staff but I've spent a whole day in front of CAD and I have to get away from my computer fast biggrin

Unfortunately, after watching some special on Fox basically taking apart all of David Blane's tricks (but without saying his name) it was suggested that all "Street Magic" is staged and reedited to look like it was actually done with regular folks. He does a "levitation" one where he literally brings in a crane and wires to lift him up for the camera and then does a completely DIFFERENT levitation trick for the actual street audience. The show then edits the two together showing him doing a very impressive trick.

One of those "If I had a TV budget and all the 'onlookers' were paid, could I do the same thing?" Probably.

Some of his slight of hand is still impressive.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

TheApprovingNinjaFrom the Ashes of a Ninja Rise THE HIPS OF RAGE
371 posts

Posted:
thanks for the ninja cartoon drew everyone needs to have a horse with a ninja mask

Viva UGLY STAFF

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
Written by: NYC

Unfortunately, after watching some special on Fox basically taking apart all of David Blane's tricks (but without saying his name) it was suggested that all "Street Magic" is staged and reedited to look like it was actually done with regular folks. He does a "levitation" one where he literally brings in a crane and wires to lift him up for the camera and then does a completely DIFFERENT levitation trick for the actual street audience. The show then edits the two together showing him doing a very impressive trick.

I havent seen that special, but I've seen some like it.. basically they pay the audiences to 'wow' even though no trick is actually performed.. that way they get the 'reaction' look.. but the levitation thing was never explained by crane... my firend's martial arts teacher can use shadows and the land around him to make it look like he's levitating like an inch off the ground, but he's really standing on the toes of one foot.. its hard to explain but it really does create this optical illusion..

that being said.. all magic works the exact same way.. so when you watch a magic show, its just like watching a movie or play... its called 'suspension of disbelief' or something similar.. and its an understood part of the show.. whether done like 'reality tv' (real peple, fake 'real' plot) or done hollywood style.. so does it really make you think any less of it? I mean did it actually make a disbeliever out of you or were you that way to begin with NYC?

it sounds like it just made you jaded and now you need a hug.. hug ubblol

More useless information courtesy of Rev...
Confusing the masses, one post at a time...
"Obviously, you're not a golfer.."- The Dude
"Buy the ticket... Take the ride..." -Raoul Duke
"FEMA has never done catastrophe planning..."-Michael Brown

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
No, no hug needed. (But I'll always take one hug )

I think there are some amazing magicians. Using camera tricks, edits, and special effects when you're "supposed" to be just showing street magic is dishonest. I do think it's a different level of dishonesty than regular magic.

I mean, you can CGI a world of aliens and sci fi... how hard can it be to special effect a card trick?

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
hey! that was MY link to the ninja horse *silk*

wink

drew, do you want other vids posted in here? or hould we have copycat threads?

hug

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Other videos here.

This way it makes it easier for me.

Which is really all that matters.

biggrin

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
yeah, cos fox are well-known as a reliable source of accurate information... rolleyes

the levitation audience cuts from his first series are indeed camera tricks - he did the balducci levitation on the street and then they cut in the 4-5 foot wire levitation for the tv show frown

that lost blaine a lot of credibility.

still, using that one example to discredit the whole street magic genre is a bit weak don't you think?

have you seen criss angel's show at all?
it is variable quality but he still has some great tricks dotted through the series - the razor blades combined with needles from stomach trick completely blew me away.

still, if it ain't your bag, its not going to impress, no matter how high quality it is - cyril's 'amazing prediction' is about as high quality as it gets imho smile

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I was actually referring to that 'levitation' one among the ones you posted. The camera angles are very suspisious as are the audience participation. There are some clear helpers in the audience as well. I forget which one they are but it's kinda obvious when you see it.

Using camera tricks and plants completely discredits the idea of "street magic" and your boy is using camera tricks and plants.

Slight of hand is fantastic. Close up magic is difficult and takes years. SAYING you're doing close up magic or street magic when you're really just using camra tricks is stupid.

I'd be easy to spend some money to make a CGI video showing me juggling 14 balls. But if I posted it as real on a juggling site, I'd be a fraud.

Same with "street magic".

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
if suspicious camera angles spoil a trick for you then i guess stage illusions just aren't for you.

most stage illusions wouldn't work if the viewing angles were not carefully controlled by the performer.

the aim of street magic is to take stage illusion and turn it into close-up - those suspicious angles you mentioned can be reduced but they are always going to involved somewhere shrug

Written by: nyc

It would be easy to spend some money to make a CGI video showing me juggling 14 balls. But if I posted it as real on a juggling site, I'd be a fraud. Same with "street magic".

that's a silly comparison dude - the point of magic is to make impossible things happen -

magicians are frauds by definition.

the idea is to fool you into believing that the impossible thing that just happened, actually did happen.

i have a feeling that anything you see on tv, you will dismiss since it could just be a special effect shrug

as long as the performer can perform the effect live, i'm happy to watch a video of it - the audience reaction (staged or no) doesn't come into it.

i personally don't think cyril uses any camera tricks (i.e. cuts, heavily omitted sections of the stage or special effects) and i'm far from sure that there is a plant in that levitation (spotting a plant on a japanese tv show is quite a skill! wink) - i guess you just don't dig this kind of entertainment.

of course, seeing magic performed live is generally a million times better since misdirection is far more powerful in person than it can ever be on a tv screen smile

hug

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
Written by: coleman

"I't would be easy to spend some money to make a CGI video showing me juggling 14 balls. But if I posted it as real on a juggling site, I'd be a fraud. Same with "street magic".

YES! YES! biggrin:D:D:D

i finaly get to correct cole! wink

THE FIRST TIME EVER!

cole you either need one more or one less of these >> "

sorry dude wink

i know you could throw a stone and find one of mine, but you know, im a stupid git wink

hug

Step (el-nombrie)

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
don't know what you're on about mech... ubbangel wink

since this is drew's video thread and i've contributed towards its rapid descent into chatty discussion in his absence (redface spank), i'll offer up this little robotic-funk-induced-eye-nugget:

sony's qrio dancing like a crazy little bitch

so, who wants to go teach it to spin poi with me then...?

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
ahh to hell with that.. I already have a gay snowman that spins poi...

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Naa... you're missing my point Cole.

I'm all for camera angles when doing magic. It's specific editing and camera tricks that are specific to cameras that I find hypocritical when suggesting "street magic". I know it may sound arbitrary but I don't think using post-production editing is fair when shooting something as "street magic"... the same way I'm annoyed when those "reality shows" edit scenes together to make it appear that things have happened that really haven't. I don't think picking a random volunteer from the audience who's actually working with the magician says much for their slight of hand skills.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
And I think that this video will serve to get Drew's video thread back on track and away from pesky Cole and his contrarification of my senseless critiques. wink

There's been quite an outbreak of artsy flash mobs in New York... I like it. biggrin

It's an obvious tip of the hat to the bouncyball commercial that you all seem to like so much.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

GlåssDIAMOND Member
2,523 posts

Posted:
angel angel angel

Hmmm Well I've been a little bit bust with work over here in london land, and it just started hailing really hard, so the birds in the c-anal are looking a little bit bedraggled.

Part of why I haven't posted is because there have been an incredible flurry of videos posted in the last 2 weeks and I aven't felt a need for

Rob you asked if it was ok to poast links, I say yes please, BUT Only post a video/link that is brilliant or highly innovative in some way, and:

1) I haven't seen it before

2) and I haven't seen something in the same genre but better before.

3) Or it makes me laugh.

So If you're unsure wbout what or when to post here then PM me the link and I will decide, thats what quite a fel people have been doing, and hence I am very grateful to them for the links, the've been awesome - I don't reply to to PM's but I do reply when I post them here.

Coleman: Huge thankies, I love robots, I love dancing, I love dancing robots.

Although I do think seriously that Sony are loosing thier cool, theres something about the brand I really don't like nowdays, and Qrio is starting to look a bit out of date too

Dance battle I would love to see:

Who would win - Sony qrio (colmans link above) Vs

Ringtone dancer: https://ringtonedancer.contagiousmedia.org/

(this is not a good video clip - it will not enhance your life in any way, it is very very bad, so bad that its kind of good again, but I think that Ring tone dancer and sony qrio have similar dance styles!)

And NYC thatnks for the light graffiti artsy flash mob brilliance

I love that too, theres gotta be some burners in that crowd, although, really don't like the use of the ball bouncing advert music - its really too strong a reference which makes me suspicious that they are viral advertising for whatever that ball video was for! Damn cool.

Magic:The magician debate above I have been following with great interest, and I'm busy writting a lovely reply to it, I'm also hunting down a good video link to post today. as above ring tone dancer doesn't really count.

Smiles Dr Ew
EDITED_BY: Glåss (1140097028)

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:

Dance battle I would love to see:
Who would win - Sony qrio (colmans link above) Vs
Ringtone dancer: https://ringtonedancer.contagiousmedia.org/
(this is not a good video clip - it will not enhance your life in any way, it is very very bad, so bad that its kind of good again, but I think that Ring tone dancer and sony qrio have similar dance styles!)

the ringtone dancer would win hands down as qrio is now dead defunked and otherwise kaput frown

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Dear Drew,

My 4th period class is now completely addicted to the JCB song. As it was the last day before a week's vacation I said if they balanced all their equations we could watch the video during the last 5 minute of class. They were great and we all got to leave with a smile on our faces.

Thank you for making my day and the days of 26 hard working kids you'll never meet.

hug

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Suibomaddict
577 posts

Posted:
Rofl.. I finally relented to my 5yo and let him use a messenger program so I can help him with his reading and writing while at work.. and every morning for the last week, I get a message from him asking for the link to the JCB song :P.. It's just disgustingly cute.

Such a great vid..

Definition of poi- A Hawaiian food made from the tuber of the taro that is cooked, pounded to a paste, and fermented.

Ahnold discussing poi - "It is naht a toober!"

GlåssDIAMOND Member
2,523 posts

Posted:
angel angel angel
I don't know if this is real, or he is a magician (ie its faked)
https://www.pistolwimp.com/media/41516/
Expect to see: a video of an old man appearing to support himself upside down on one finger while leaning against a wall

I think its a dodgy fake, I suspect that theres a support up in the wall, or perhaps there are wires.
Note: that you do not see the top of his feet!
That finger arm and hand don't look like they are under much strain. If you press with your index finger you will tend to see tighter definition in the tendons around the wrist

But I thought that this would be topical after the debate about magicians and David Blaine fakes.

Does it devalue the shaolin monks if we know that they fake some of their "spectacular feats of chi?"
smile
its fun to watch anyway

Suibomaddict
577 posts

Posted:
Crazy.. I don't see any obvious indications of fakery.. You *do* see the top of his feet. Also, I thought he might be holding onto a wire with his other hand and that it might be obscured by the angle and the meeting of the two walls, but the angle changes further in the video and there is no wire. Also, his finger has obviously gone through strengthening, on both hands in fact... And I think you're seeing about as much stress to the wrist as you might see with that kind of feat and training.

Interesting find smile Thanks for sharing, as usual biggrin.

Definition of poi- A Hawaiian food made from the tuber of the taro that is cooked, pounded to a paste, and fermented.

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
Mmm... I can't believe thats real, his finger would be at least bent back under the weight. I wonder if he's even upside-down at all, he could be standing on a platform we don't see and be the right way up, just touching the ceiling with his finger.

What makes me really suspicious is the fact we don't see him get up there or down, yet they show him stretching...

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
hai-tank (aka 'hai deng') was a great master but was not shaolin - he was a monk from another region, brought in to shaolin at a time when interest in the monks was being revived by the government and he was one of the first 'touring monks', visiting america in the 60's.

i think some fabrication crept in around that time regarding what the monks could make possible through harnessing qi frown

it is very possible that he could perform that skill when he was younger but that was filmed when he was in his 80's - i think they faked it frown

here is some footage of some 'normal' high-level kung fu finger skill: clickit

and here's a photo of someone demonstrating the two fingered technique:

Non-Https Image Link

cool ? shrug

and drew, what happened to your lovely reply...?

("The magician debate above I have been following with great interest, and I'm busy writting a lovely reply to it")

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
i dunno, i've seen convincing film of that old dude doing finger stands... on the old docu-movie with jet li as a kid maybe?

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

GlåssDIAMOND Member
2,523 posts

Posted:
angel angel angel

POI POI POI today Watch these if you like poi:

https://www.loveandfire.de/index.htm

go to the gallery, there are 3 poi videos from Hamburg.

The're Nice videos of a poi community that I think is up and coming, Not overly technical or any thing like that, just nice and smilie, good attitude and great editing, expect to see a dog digging and "oh yeah".

I think that we will see some awesome videos to be coming out of hamburg soon.

smile

Also Strugz Sent me this video of Yuta ....

edit:

Suibom adds a better link: if you don't want the silliness that is YouTube, then you can get the file directly here:

https://poicommunity.poke1.jp/net/bonenkai.html

It is fire6, and take a look at the rest of the community there as well:

https://poicommunity.nobody.jp/

/edit

...on You tube:

Some of the filming is not so good (classic overly dark filming of firespinning,) But being Yuta, the spinning is awesome mix of techinical and movement biggrin

Big thanks StrugZ and thanks to Yuta for all his videos, Always a joy to watch.

Coleman and NYC: about Magic this is not brillaintly worded - sorry, but have a lot of work to do today, and I'm running late, so Youll have to have it like this:

With reference to camera/ editing trickery used by David Blaine

No matter what they say:

A magician is not a liar.

A magician is not a fraud.

A magician is not dishonest.

also

Never trust anything a professional magician says about their work.

Magic is deception, but its not a Lie nor is it dishonest, because in watching magician,

in esscence you, the audience, enter into a non-verbal agreement which goes something like this:

"The magician will deceive me (the audience) for the purpose of my entertainment."

This is reminicent of the debate around the movie "Fargo" by the Coen Brothers.

Fargo opens with: "This is a true story. The events depicted in this film took place in Minnesota in 1987. At the request of the survivors, the names have been changed. Out of respect for the dead, the rest has been told exactly as it occurred."

Thats not true. The film is fiction dressed up as fact,

and so, in a way, is a magic performance.

With up close street magic, you stage is moved into the street, the realm of real life, but it is still a "stage".

and the magican is still a performer - for your entertainment.

I had a big discussion with a magician friend - Karl from Sweden about this:

Magic gains a lot of audience from being on telly, but magic also suffers heavilly from being able to rewind and watch it repeatedly in slow motion!!! (And magicians really don't like TV and internet exposes.)

Karl presented David Blaines arguements that, when people were interviewed after watching the levitation trick in the street, and asked what they saw, they would say,

"Maaaan it was like totally incredible he levitated like a foot* off the ground." (*30cm)

Always they would remember it much higher than he actually went (less than 10cm!)

So in the fake with wires, he is showing it to the TV audience in the way that the people who were there remember actually seeing it.

Magicians are manipulating peoples perception of reality, rather than reality.

But in the now era, Technology can create for us, better magic than a magician

Therefore to complain that David Blaine use of editing of up close magic was "cheating" is incorrect,

he is a magician, and that goes with the terratory.

That being said, I whole heartedly agree with you Mr NYC, that it sucks, in the way that is leaves a bad taste in your mouth.

And knowing that DB is (untruthful) heavilly devalues his publicity stunt tricks like the box over the thames "with only water" for 40 days.

Because of this i rarely bother watching magic on screen anymore, for anything other that the quaility of the presentation. and certainly not DB.

Its rare that i can get that excited feeling of disbelief with magic on telly.

All TV magic: I know there are wires, I know they are "cheating", I know that the audience can all be plants and I know that it is edited afterwards. where's the entertaiment in that - only in the skill of the performer to tell a story.

Smiles

Drew
EDITED_BY: Glåss (1140618494)

Suibomaddict
577 posts

Posted:
That Yuta vid is definitely fun.. if you don't want the silliness that is YouTube, then you can get the file directly here:
https://poicommunity.poke1.jp/net/bonenkai.html

It is fire6, and take a look at the rest of the community there as well:
https://poicommunity.nobody.jp/

Yuta's done a damn fine job (there's also an english translation of the site, look at the bottom of the menu column).

GlåssDIAMOND Member
2,523 posts

Posted:
Ah, thanks Suibom - you rock always good to have a propper souce link smile
I'll update the post above.

Also, I forgot the PS on the post above: the Hamburg crew are using my orange poi, I've Just sent them a package of another 20 pairs of super orange poi, and even some super white poi!!
So more lovely orange poi happiness will be spread soon.
:Hugs:

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
white? ubbcrying

i dreamt about owning a pair of those once but that dream died long, long ago...

wink

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
smile

Thanks drew

hug

xx

Getting to the other side smile

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:

Magic is deception, but its not a Lie nor is it dishonest, because in watching magician,
in esscence you, the audience, enter into a non-verbal agreement which goes something like this:
"The magician will deceive me (the audience) for the purpose of my entertainment."

exactly what I was getting at when I used the theater term 'suspension of disbelief.' What's even more interesting is when you get into stuff that requires the 'suspension of suspension of disbelief.' Professional wrestling for instance.. where you have to know that its fake to appreciate the storylines. Another example of something that people moan about being 'fake'... professional wrestling is not fake.. its about entertainment, and like most entertainment, it has premeditated outcomes.. which helps to push the story and actually get more people 'into' the story..
see https://www.projectbraintrust.com/
for more info on that.. specifically the philosophical project section.. haha..

anyway.. enough of my ramblings.. nice post drew..

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Drew; I think we completely agree. I was just saying it sucks is all. I agree it's magic and it's legal and lies and deception are all part of the show.

But if I have to naturally assume that every 'volunteer' is a paid actor and every trick on TV is digitally altered then it becomes no fun.

I think it also COMPLETELY discredits actual slight of hand artists (who are truely artists) if I pretend to do the same thing but with digital effects.

OBVIOUSLY every magic trick is a trick.

I think there's a big difference between FILMING a magic show, and having the camera be integral to the show.

When I'm watching Penn and Teller on TV, I'm certain that the card tricks they're doing look just as good in person. That'd be an example of having a show flimed. Stupidass David Blane using camera tricks is a different story.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Page: ......