Forums > Social Discussion > I think I may be teaching somebody

Login/Join to Participate

Okay_Trulystranger
3 posts

Posted:
Okay, at my school (collage) we just had a rave so I took my stardass with me and after a bit I noticed this other kid (who is still in high school) spinning glow sticks. So after a bit we talked a bit and I gave him my phone number so that if he ever whats lessons he can call me. Im jumping from joy but Im kinda of nervous of teaching this random guy I just meet. Any teachers out there who can give me some pointers on how to teach? Please and thank you!

Only the smart people admit that they are dumb.

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
you'll develop your own teaching style as your own spinning style and skill develops, perhaps watch some tutorials from hop of things you already know and incorporate the same methods in your own demonstrations.

and positive reinforcement but not kissing butt is good too.

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
i usually stick with....

"Yer doing it wrong"
"no, you gotta __________"
"see ya gotta __________"
"Yer not __________"

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

MikefromGlosSILVER Member
Hitman
985 posts

Posted:
i remember my first lesson devilsticks at play festival talk about jumping in at the deep end of it all lol... got though it just dont panic to much and set small aims to get across

he he i am mike the amazing gloscircus person who is mike.

Officaly an exception to the Poi Boys are Girls Thing

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
I go with:

Do it like this: boom boom boom boom, boom boom, boom.

Yeah!

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

hazephaseSILVER Member
stranger
20 posts

Posted:
where I live in India, no one has heard of poi and I am good. People come up to me all da time asking me to teach them and I do it as a sharing

poivideos.com

JayKittyGOLD Member
Mission: Ignition
534 posts

Posted:
Be patient. Try and remember back when you were learning and what you had to work on and how you overcame your problems. Also, give him drills to work on when he goes home. Just because you dont think anything of a foward spin, I learned recently that some people really need to start from point zero and work on everything.

Don't mind me, just passing through.

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Also, people learn at different rates. A couple friends and I had an impromptu juggling workshop for passersby on campus yesterday (we were actually just practicing and people kept trying to tell us it was hard. Which we argued with. By teaching them). Some people clicked immediately, others took a *lot* longer.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Seaspraystranger by the day
924 posts

Posted:
Yeah, I'd agree with that. I was once explaining to someone how I was trying (and failing) to teach myself isolations and he picked up the ability to almost immediately.

Makes me jealous. I still find 'em impossible

Just a dancer in the dark

Chloe'GOLD Member
enthusiast
324 posts

Posted:
Just remember if they are willing to learn, be patient with them. =)

Listen to Your heartbeat and dance...

JayKittyGOLD Member
Mission: Ignition
534 posts

Posted:
Try different move sets too. I tended to pick up tricks in the weave family faster than my girlfriend who picked up butterfly style move quicker. If one set of tricks isn't working, move on to something else and it might click when you go back to it.

Don't mind me, just passing through.

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
I tend to give them about a million things to think about in the first lesson and then the next lesson, see what they come back to me with. I'll use a few different approaches to learning when I do it, I'll use "tricks" which are things that arent specifically teaching the movement... kinda like... ok, do this (which you can already do) and then make it go kinda like this. And they might end up doing it.

Like just turning with a 3 beat. You can break down the turn, teach the turn and the rev 3 beat might just fall into place without any work at all.

I'll also break down some stuff into building block pieces, or even just teach the ideas behind something, as I would do with stalls.

I tend to go into MUCH more advanced stuff when talking about concepts than I would expect them to be able to do, I'll reassure them that I wouldn't expect them to be able to do it, I'm just showing them to demonstrate that the concepts are the same but with more precise parameters.

Next time I see them I'll see what they remember, they'll probably have a few questions, too. It starts to help me build up a bit of information about them as a learner. (not just as a student)

hug