Page:
DerwynLightworker
88 posts

Posted:
Hello Everybody! My name is Derwyn and I am 22 years old and I am female. My birthday is July 25 1986. I live in Albuquerque, New Mexico and spend most of my time on Earth.

Favorite Color: Purple and Blue

Hobbies other than the obvious: Being out in nature, reading all the time, dancing, learning my harp, singing and most recently working my booty off learning the art of poi. I'm new to it and I suck but I'm in love!

Education: I am in school to become a nurse so I can travel the world and help others.

Favorite Book(s): Well... all time favorites are The Belgariad by David Eddings and The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan may he rest in peace. Recently I have enjoyed Conversations with God, Twilight and The Elenium.

Godzilla vs. a Star Wars Star Destroyer. Who wins? Why? Star Wars Destroyer. Reason... Destroyer

Plans for life in general: (i.e. what you want to do when you grow up) Heal and love. Change the World, Save the World! Have a family and travel.

Marmite, Vegemite, or Nutella?* Though I don't quite understand it I'll have to go with Vegemite because my mommy is from Australia and loves it.

Extra: I'm new to poi and I WILL become good at it. I love tattoos though at the moment I only have two... that will change. I am happy to meet you all and look forward to learning and making friends.

EDITED_BY: Derwyn (1231538399)

"When we dance with the faeries, we dance with the reflections of our true selves and the true inner self of the world."

"If you keep thinking like that, you'll never get to meet a Unicorn."

shpongledSILVER Member
Mr. IWantYouToGetDown
86 posts

Posted:
well shoot Derwyn I'm working on it! haha so I tried the finger thing on fire yesterday...ha lets just say that hurt haha. the video when i do that trick probably wont be on fire! ha

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Charles Ludwig Dodgeson (Lewis Carroll) was a very interesting man.

Have you read the Annotate Alice by any chance?

Sort of fantasy in the sense that it is a (not-so-)subtle parody of the archtypes in most fantasy.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

DerwynLightworker
88 posts

Posted:
I have not read it but I agree he was a very interesting man. Those that are a little off sometimes provide us with great insight into genius.
EDITED_BY: Derwyn (1233007623)

"When we dance with the faeries, we dance with the reflections of our true selves and the true inner self of the world."

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
The Annotated Alice just explains (via foot/margin notes) more about some of the stuff that influenced him, some cultural references and so on.

If you like Alice in Wonderland and Through The Looking-Glass, it is well worth it.

A Spike Milligan quote works quite well too: "Blessed are the cracked, for they let in the light."

DerwynLightworker
88 posts

Posted:
Aww, that's beautiful! I hope I'm cracked. lol!

PuffSILVER Member
The Magic Dragon
134 posts

Posted:
A good buddy and fellow spinner (I introduced him to poi about a year ago and he got better than me in a few weeks *grumble grumble*) has an incredible book collection of which the Annotated Alice is next on my list to steal.

Let my words, dear friends, be treasures. Weightless golden butterflies that hang before your eyes for seconds, then are gone. But the dust of truth and beauty that their wingbeats leave behind will settle on your soul and make you happy. - Edward Monkton

willworkforfoodjnrSILVER Member
Hunting robot foxes
1,046 posts

Posted:
Just thought I'd run in and hug you!

grin grin
EDITED_BY: willworkforfoodjnr (1233736373)

Working hard to be a wandering hippie layabout. Ten years down, five to go!

DerwynLightworker
88 posts

Posted:
<---- me??? thankx

hug you too!! Made my day!

shpongledSILVER Member
Mr. IWantYouToGetDown
86 posts

Posted:
Just dropping by to see how the poi progress is coming there Derwyn?

My bad on the total LACK of videos I have throw up...been real real busy lately. I promise you...I will do it though!

DerwynLightworker
88 posts

Posted:
It's going good I think. I've been playing with the buzzsaw and trying to thread the needle. I still haven't learned 5 beat but I haven't really tried yet either. I'm not really sure what to work on next. I've been having fun though!

I can understand being busy so don't even worry about it, do your thing.

shpongledSILVER Member
Mr. IWantYouToGetDown
86 posts

Posted:
I just ordered my new glow poi off of HoP tonight! I can't wait for them to come in! Hopefully sometime this week.

That would make my world brighter smile

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
TTN just clicked one day for me. Had tried it, failed repeatedly and forgot about it for months....

DerwynLightworker
88 posts

Posted:
Yay! I'm gonna get some in April for myself for graduating from the NA program!

That's how I feel about TTN! It hasn't clicked just yet though. I'm working on behind the back weaves now which make me feel like a new baby learning 2 beat forward. It's hilarious but it's gonna look so freaking cool!

I really like the buzzsaw cause it's super sexy!

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
All that TTN is is finding that little gap where you can slot through.

BTB weaves are fun. grin

Isolated butterfly buzzsaws are my favourite when the isos work. tongue2

DerwynLightworker
88 posts

Posted:
I love isolations, I just started messing with them and it's lovely.

shpongledSILVER Member
Mr. IWantYouToGetDown
86 posts

Posted:
Isolations are lovely....I have been working on some different hybrids recently with an isolation and just a regular pinwheel motion. I have also been working on instead of a regular buzzsaw...one turned to the side so that it makes a "t" shape. I'm sure it has a name...not sure as to what it is.

The BTB weave is killing me as I'm not able to do it yet, but I've been working a lot lately on the reverse 5 beat.

I also like stalling from the buzzsaw and going into a reverse butterfly I guess it would be.

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
T shape?

shpongledSILVER Member
Mr. IWantYouToGetDown
86 posts

Posted:
yeah...my bad aston...did a HORRIBLE job of explaining that last night. no longer will I be on HoP after a few drinks ha.

Well just imagine that you are doing a buzzsaw...and then as you are spinning that, move your left hand so that it is no longer following your right hand in the buzzsaw, but so that it is going perpendicular to your right hand. Then just be careful the poi doesn't hit your arm as it will come real close. It makes more of a "plus" sign than a t shape I guess.

Still haven't had my glow poi delivered yet...it said they anticipated them being delivered on the 23rd...I was just hoping for an early christmas!

DerwynLightworker
88 posts

Posted:
See that just sounds like I'd have to see it to know what you're talking about. I'm very visual I think I've said before.

I haven't got the BTB yet either but I keep working on it.

fireelfburner
23 posts

Posted:
another thing that is fun?? throwing your poi. i just recently started to throw my poi around. got good at throwing it between my legs and catching it. and throwing my right poi over my left arm from a 3 beet weave.

DerwynLightworker
88 posts

Posted:
oooh ya! That's freakin cool.

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
Ronan shows some interesting throws in the Feuershow.de tuts....

And I get what you mean with the +. I get it when I isolate wrong. tongue2

shpongledSILVER Member
Mr. IWantYouToGetDown
86 posts

Posted:
oh good aston...hope is not completely lost ha.

and good call on that Ronan video...he is obviously one of my favorites...real nice. and yeah throwing them is real cool...wish i could throw mine as high as CB does in his "f'in around with fire" video on youtube...redic.

and i got my glow poi smile so so happy

joffjkDIAMOND Member
147 posts

Posted:
Nice one aston those tuts that roland shows have giving me some excellent food for thought the reverse butterfly one's are sick cheers for sending me in that direction.

I love thinking in circles

DerwynLightworker
88 posts

Posted:
Hey guys! I havent been around for a long time. I just wanted to update you all on what's been happening.

I've been spinning fire now for three months, I am addicted, I love it! The fire is my life!

Other than that things have been pretty good. Learning magic tricks, sewing, learning spanish. I work everyday on my poi skills and I finally have a group here in New Mexico to spin with. Life is savory.
EDITED_BY: Derwyn (1251571958)

Page: