Forums > Advanced Poi Moves > Help with Spiral Wrap variation

Login/Join to Participate

_Poiboy_PLATINUM Member
bastard child of satan
1,113 posts

Posted:
I've been trying to figure out a move Nevisoul does on this video:

it's the spiral wrap at 3:03-3:08, I just can't figure it out, any tips?

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Its just continuous spiral wraps. Try it in horizontal plane, above your head, its much easier.

hug

TaraMythrasDrama Queen
20 posts

Posted:
What an awsome video!

Signature: (up to 225 characters) you may use UBBCode in your signature.

16.15.8GOLD Member
I can´t think therefore I´m not
291 posts

Posted:
It depends what you consider as "normal", you can do spiralwraps on many different ways like palm to palm, top of hand to palm or, around fingers and more.
Here I let the poi spin one time each around my wrists and the put my hands together and cross my fingers so they cant separate when the poi is pulling them out before they go in again.
Try it out, feels very addictive grin

"I don´t like shoes, definitely not spinning with shoes, they make my feet feel flat, my feet are not flat...."

_Poiboy_PLATINUM Member
bastard child of satan
1,113 posts

Posted:
thanks dude, awesome videos btw smile
one question though, any tips on making them keep momentum when unwrapping?

16.15.8GOLD Member
291 posts

Posted:
It will come automatically if you let them wrap up once around your wrists and put your hands together, give your arms/poi a little flick and they change direction when they unwrap, just keep holding your hands together.
Spiiiirals tongue2

"I don´t like shoes, definitely not spinning with shoes, they make my feet feel flat, my feet are not flat...."

johndhaiveGOLD Member
Kebab Embalmer
316 posts

Posted:
Spinning in silence thingy! That spiral wraps overload... huh! tried that one and got my wrists burnt! hehehehe!

Tam tam tam cheketitamtam, ketumpantam, ketumpan kete kete kete, tam tam tam ketumpanketey!

JayKittyGOLD Member
Mission: Ignition
534 posts

Posted:
Keep wraps to the beginning portion of your burn so the metal doesn't get you. I found that our the hard way. First set of wicks I made were oldschool towel wicks wrapped in wire. It took be a few minutes to get the courage to do a few forarm wraps... Three years later I still had the proof it was a bad idea, lol.

Don't mind me, just passing through.

16.15.8GOLD Member
291 posts

Posted:
No pain no gain grin

I made a video the other day, if you jump to 4:28 in this video, there is the first spiral which is done with palm to top of hand, I let it unwrap and then let the chains spin up once on each wrist and maybe you can see how the fingers are locked together and how the chains is wrapping around my wrists instead?

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Different rigs react differently to heat...

Mine will lose heat toward the end of the burn if I'm giving them a reasonably paced swing... obviously if I'd doing a lot of slow, pendulummy stuff its not time for a spiral wrap, though.

The momentum is essentially the same as the regular spiral wrap just with that motion isolated and repeated.

Focus on 'catching' the poi very slightly as they wrap up (that is to absorb their motion so they come to a stop) Then flick back in the opposite direction.

Spiral wraps with fire are in general a fairly dangerous move... if you do them you WILL get burned at some point. Its inevitable... if you're smart about when you actually do the spiral wraps then it won't happen so often and it might not be severe... but it will happen, of that there is no doubt.

hug

_Poiboy_PLATINUM Member
bastard child of satan
1,113 posts

Posted:
thanks for the help, one last thing, I've seen Thomas and AlienJon using gloves when doing spiral wraps with fire, what exactly are you using? the plain gloves I know don't seem too fire resistant.

16.15.8GOLD Member
291 posts

Posted:
Don´t know what people usually use but I guess it´s more or less like a cotton glove but without fingers? I use it as well but the downside is that so far I only found protections made in synthetics which is very bad cos it melts instead of burn.
But use something to protect your wrists and soak them in hot water, your wrist and hands will stay warm along the spinning session, although it´s very bad cos the water may vaporize when you do spirals and you burn yourself on the steams :-/
Safety can never be perfect frown

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Mmm... variation to change which hand is on top(fingers unlocked) to get one extra beat in the middle, but its still rotating around a fixed handlepoint so it feels like the movement lasts forever... done slowly it feels lush.
grin
This would feel fantastic with long poi.

hug

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: _Poiboy_thanks for the help, one last thing, I've seen Thomas and AlienJon using gloves when doing spiral wraps with fire, what exactly are you using? the plain gloves I know don't seem too fire resistant.

Leather gloves can work. Just check how they fasten....

MNS: Not getting it. Probably because I never really got into spiral wraps much....

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

JayKittyGOLD Member
534 posts

Posted:
They also make you feel hardcore when you wear them around and then people ask you why you are wearing leather gloves and you can be all like "cuz I'm awesome and I spinz da firez!!!1" and they they'll be all like that's so cool! can we see and you will have an amazing group of followers.... all becasue of the gloves.

That was a long sentance and I don't know why you started talking like a cat.

Yeah... gloves are a good idea ^_^
I can haz cheezburger?

16.15.8GOLD Member
291 posts

Posted:
It´s like you read my mind cos that is the only and true reason to why I wear these gloves or toe-socks, that´s what they actually are, but toe-socks is respect grin

poifull_spiritGOLD Member
journeyman
64 posts

Posted:
if your gonna use gloves just make sure it's 100% natural materials ans synthetics will melt to your skin. leather is best but doesn't breath well, otherwise wool closely followed by cotten are also good. I use cotton currently and i've never burned myself since i've started using them.

16.15.8GOLD Member
291 posts

Posted:
I just watched a video of me spinning some firepoi which a friend of mine did this summer and there is two times where he makes a close up on my hands while doing these spiralwraps and one of the times you can clearly see how to do and enter it....

#t=0m44s

chemairoSILVER Member
person who like to spin all gears
62 posts

Posted:
Okay now I got the way how to get into the wrap - but my biggest problem at the moment is to get them back in a nice split time - because actually most of the time I just get them back in a really bad timing.

Any tips on that?

JayKittyGOLD Member
534 posts

Posted:
My biggest problem when I was learning was I was putting my hands into a praying position, palm to palm, if you give youself a few inches of space in between your hand you can move around a bit. Put outward pressure on the poi chains and at the same time give them a little push. Keep applying pressure as they keep unwinding and TA DA! spiral unwrap. Its just practice until you get the feeling.

RivesGOLD Member
Nothing but circles and smiles...
118 posts

Posted:
HA! I just tried my spiral with one wrap around my wrist first and it was fantastic! that is addicting. smile thank you for the tip.

81LLBRONZE Member
pant crafting
97 posts

Posted:
thanks thomas!
you taught me this move at clonakilty, but i only really tried to learn it today.
nailed it finally - i found it was timing when to let each poi wrap onto the wrist that was the problem, but i eventually got it.
clockwise - right wraps first, anticlockwise - left
sweet move smile

No air drumming - Bruford could change the timing up so fast you could snap your wrist!

AllToreUpSILVER Member
the large print giveth, and the small print taketh away...
19 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: 16.15.8Try it out, feels very addictive grin

So true... Just got these, thanks for the tips. Love the ability to shift planes and speeds while wrapped up.

As for keeping momentum and maintaining split time... Rotate your arms the direction the poi are wrapping around your hands just a bit as they get close. This prevents them from bouncing when they fully wrap. Just flick in the other direction and repeat.

I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

DaGGOLD Member
Golf buggie driving instructor
156 posts

Posted:
I found another way to do continuous spiral wraps.

Instead of going straight over your wrist like a regular spiral wrap you let the poi wrap once over themselves, like a hyperloop right at the handles, then you spiral wrap like normal.

An interesting thing is when exiting one side you come out normally (if you do 1,3 or 5 wraps) but if you come out the other side (2, 4, 6 wraps) you can go straight into hyperloops/orbitals.

I think its the same technique, in that the center of the wrap is inbetween your hands, but i cant do this other one yet so IDK.

grin

RivesGOLD Member
Nothing but circles and smiles...
118 posts

Posted:
i have played with that alittle, but never with fire, I will give it a try, thanks.

JayKittyGOLD Member
534 posts

Posted:
DaG that's genius! That would look amazing! I put down spirals for a while in favor of working on my overall flow and dance aspect, but I think I need to work on my tech a bit more now. Snap.

AllToreUpSILVER Member
the large print giveth, and the small print taketh away...
19 posts

Posted:
Oooh... I just got one of those air/spiral wrap variations and dropped into a horizontal orbital. Definitely genius!

I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?