Forums > Social Chat > American drama obsession

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
sketchGOLD Member
Empirically random...
431 posts

Posted:
Hi, im sketch and i'm a dramaholic. It's been 2 days since my last drama.

I work from home and in the afternoons, half watch T.V. while im working. It helps speed up the day and occasionally sparks some extra creativity. Lately i've been watching american drama's online as it's the only stuff i really get into.

If you watch 3-4 hours a day over 6 months or so (remember it's while im working, not T.V. bingeing(sp?)), you get through them pretty quick, and i find myself in the horrifying situation of being up to date on pretty much all of them! eek
I refuse to watch random boring T.V. and after 2 days of listening to the radio, you've heard every song 5 times.

I call upon you lovely people to help me find undiscovered drama's to make my working life more interesting!

Here is my (incredibly shocking) drama resume.
Prison Break
Lost
Heroes
The Wire
Californacation
Entourage
House
Life on Mars
Dexter (easily the best ever)
Greys anatomy
Weeds
Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles

There must be some equally epic series floating around that i have not discovered yet, bearing in mind im not so interested in the sitcoms... any suggestions??

"This dark place planet Earth, orbits one star,
Come from afar, far away state of mind,
open up your third eye, black helicopters in the sky"

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Wow!

I'm an American and I've never seen any of those! lol

Let's see,

Oz -it's a prison show. I saw two episodes and they were both really good.

I personally love

The Closer
Saving Grace

I'm more of a sci-fi person so the rest I'll not get into unless you really like talking to ghosts and/or watching vampire dramas. lol

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Saving Grace was an english movie about a widow growing a big ganja crop. THAT made it to US TV!?!?!?!!

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
 Written by :newgabe

Saving Grace was an english movie about a widow growing a big ganja crop. THAT made it to US TV!?!?!?!!

ubblol

This one is about a slutty, drunk detective who sees a middle aged, jeans wearin angel named Earl.
So maybe next season it'll meet up with the movie and she'll be growin a bumper crop and get god stoned. wink

Pele

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
ubblol when you said you were addicted to American dramas I thought you means Days of our Lives and the Bold and the Beautiful! ubblol

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
Basu gasu bakuhatsu - because sometimes buses explode
1,584 posts

Posted:
Earlier Scrubs. biggrin

To do: More Firedrums 08 video?

Wildfire/US East coast fire footage

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
Lost, House, CSIs, Eli Stone, NCIS, and I missed Dexter last night

(I just have network tv, I'd never come out the house if I had cable)

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

Sambo_FluxGOLD Member
Introverted
833 posts

Posted:
It's a few years old, and they only ever made 14 episodes, but Firefly is totally amazing. They made a movie of it too, Serenity, which also rocks completely.

My Mind is a Ship
Emotions become the Waves
Soul is the Ocean

If a quizz is quizzical, what is a test?

Silk_the_ElfGOLD Member
37 posts

Posted:
Firefly - Shiney!

I loved that show! I keep hoping someone will bring it back, but it's not likely to happen after so long.

Has any one else noticed how Nathan Fillon has bad luck with shows?

sketchGOLD Member
Empirically random...
431 posts

Posted:
Ive heard alot about Firefly actually, so i might have to go on a hunt to find it.

Any of the UK people remember bugs?? that spy series from like 8+ years ago.....

"This dark place planet Earth, orbits one star,
Come from afar, far away state of mind,
open up your third eye, black helicopters in the sky"

3,556 posts

Posted:
If we are going back
DUE SOUTH
best show to come out of Canada
Canadian perspective on Chicago and how they see Americans seeing them

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
Check out the show Jericho. the first season is all online and can be viewed. It was cancelled after the first season but the fans helped bring it back....i think the second season is currently airing.

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Don't forget Firefly also has a graphic novel that actually connects what happened at the end of the "series" to the movie.
Yes, I must agree, Firefly = ubblove

Pele

3,556 posts

Posted:
I tried but never got into either of those shows

Faith

Silk_the_ElfGOLD Member
37 posts

Posted:
Pele,
If you're into RP at all, you should check out the Serenity RPG. My old man and a couple of our friends gave it a whirl and really liked it. We decided to dress as our characters for fun and took pictures. I had a few choice chinese curses memorized at the time too. Gone and forgot them all now, though. I'll have to check the book...

Pink...?BRONZE Member
Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured
6,140 posts

Posted:
Firefly... very shiny!

IMO the best show... well that and Dr Who smile

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
I have recently acquired an addiction to Veronica Mars redface

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

Bek66Future Mrs Pogo
4,728 posts

Posted:
Okay....

Cold Case
Without a Trace
Shark
Criminal Minds
Supernatural

...and NCIS and House have already been mentioned...

I'm waiting for new episodes, too...*giggle*

Oooh...and there's always the old Highlander series...all of it is posted on tvlinks.com...altho it was actually Canadian, instead of American...

Rougie, Veronica Mars is actually pretty good...I watched it for a while, but then just kind of lost interest...had other things to think of...and to occupy my time... wink

"Absence is to love what wind is to fire...it extinguishes the small, enkindles the great."
--Comte Debussy-Rebutin

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
since i dont actually own a tv ill slink off to the Book Club thread ubbrollsmile

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

Bek66Future Mrs Pogo
4,728 posts

Posted:
Ye, but you have a computer...I haven't turned my tv on in months...

What kind of books do you like, Ed? I might be able to give you some good titles to try.

"Absence is to love what wind is to fire...it extinguishes the small, enkindles the great."
--Comte Debussy-Rebutin

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
Battlestar Galactica
Scrubs

Its the only TV I need. biggrin

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

CaffeinatedKatieGOLD Member
Teacher, Dancer, Artist, and General Smartass
149 posts

Posted:
At the risk of inciting our own drama, I'd like to submit that Firefly is overrated. I'd say the same thing about Battlestar but that will get me stabbed.

I'm totally stuck on several of those shows (love love love weeds) and I only have one more suggestion for you... which may be the best show ever (I haven't seen Dexter, though I plan to and have heard similar rave reviews)

The Riches. Go get it right now and watch it. Seriously, RIGHT NOW. You are missing out on LIFE by not seeing this show. Eddie Izzard should be enough to sell you, but if you've ever wondered if he could act for real, he totally can. Oh man. SO. GOOD.

fanged_angelBRONZE Member
poiromaniac
162 posts

Posted:
its not a drama per se` but my name is earl is one of the funniest things iv seen in my life

BrennPLATINUM Member
Will carpal your tunnel in a minute.
3,286 posts

Posted:
sketch,

Do track down Twin Peaks. I just finished season 1 and was left begging for the second season. It's the most...surreal and dark but strangely humorous at times series I have ever seen.

However it does touch on the darker side of things... it's now midnight and I just watched the first episode of season 2: it ended on a really creepy/supernatural/horror note and i'm left feeling slightly uneasy to go to sleep frown
EDITED_BY: Brenn (1210773840)

ॐ

Owner of burningoftheclavey smile
Owned by Lost83spy

Silk_the_ElfGOLD Member
37 posts

Posted:
Katie,

No worries, we're all different flavors! I've heard and read a lot of well put reveiws both good and bad for Firefly, many have good points and I've decided I like Firefly despite/because of it's flaws. (It may also be because I've had a Han Solo complex since I was a very little girl.)

Fyrespirit,

Oh Wow! I had forgotten all about Highlander! Many fans of the movie(s) disliked it but I thought it was great! (Even if it is Canadian)

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
 Written by :CaffeinatedKatie

At the risk of inciting our own drama, I'd like to submit that Firefly is overrated. I'd say the same thing about Battlestar but that will get me stabbed.

eek

Death to the infidel.

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

Pogo69SILVER Member
there's no charge for awesomeness... or attractiveness
3,764 posts

Posted:
 Written by :Brenn

Do track down Twin Peaks. I just finished season 1 and was left begging for the second season. It's the most...surreal and dark but strangely humorous at times series I have ever seen.

I think you've managed to make some of us feel old, brenn... cos I'm guessing you didn't see it the first time round, cos you're too young...?

but yes... it was certainly one of the most intriguingly different tv series of its time. but then... that's david lynch in general, really.

--pogo (pat) [forever and always]

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
OK...I've since perused my dvd collection.

Firefly, of course
La Femme Nikita
Farscape
Beauty and the Beast (from the 80's)
Highlander the series (gift)

and one I *need* to get because it is literally like Tim Burten had a love child with Dr. Suess

Pushing Daisies

I can't believe I forgot that show but I so adore it.

Pele

fNiGOLD Member
master of disaster
3,354 posts

Posted:
 Written by :Fine_Rabid_Dog

Written by :CaffeinatedKatie

eek

Death to the infidel.

ditto

House, Heroes, Bones, Chuck, Law and Orders, Stargate...so many more

kyrian: I've felt your finger connect with me many times
lou kitten: sneaky little meatball..
ezz: please corrupt me more

Bek66Future Mrs Pogo
4,728 posts

Posted:
Oh, goodness...that was the one with Lara Flynn Boyle before she became a twig, wasn't it? Twin Peaks, I mean...of course. I watched it, for a while...but, at the time, I wasn't too into tv...was too busy going out and getting into trouble...I mean, selling Girl Scout cookies...yeah, that's it!!!

--Comte Debussy-Rebutin

_khan_SILVER Member
old hand
768 posts

Posted:
I'm completely over my Heroes obsession due to the entirely lame and crappy second season.

I LOVE Dexter though, and have just recently gotten into Torchwood which I can tell is an obsession in the making. I'm kind of surprised no-one here has mentioned it, actually.

The only TV shows I have on DVD are all seven seasons of Buffy and Justice League.

And yeah, Pele, Pushing Daisies is a sweet show. Can't wait for it to come back!

taken out of context i must seem so strange
~ ani di franco

Page: