Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
i think locknuts are the nuts with ridges on one side and they are used with lock washers. Lock washers are small washers that are split at one point and one side is raised a little mor then the other. When used together i BELIEVE the raised part catches onto the ridges of the nut and locks it from moving.

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

marcoenthusiast
328 posts

Posted:
There are fully metal graded lock nuts available, these are the ones you need to be using if your considering using lock nuts with fire, the other option is to counter tighten two nuts together and score / distort the thread below.

mark

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Harr - distortion - one way poi, but nice solution.

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

Phyrecatmember
17 posts

Posted:
Rellizate, I think he means scoring the thread so the nuts cant unscrew themselves. The other option would be thread lock - I'm sure you can get hi temp stuff that is used in cars - just spread it on the thread, tighten, and leave to set. it wont ruin the thread, and you'll still be able to unscrew it if you need to. Another possible solution would be two nuts, one with a reverse thread. so you tighten one nut, then the other nut screws on, but turns anticlockwise to tighten. they'll tighten against each other! Only problem is, they're pretty hard to come by....

There is no better way to teach yourself concentration than learning staff next to a topless female.

Mr_JoePart-time genius
59 posts

Posted:
Not quite, you can't put nuts on the wrong way round anyways.

You can however just tighten a second nut against the back of the first for extra security.

Phyrecatmember
17 posts

Posted:
LOL rellizate biggrin biggrin biggrin no, the way you put a nut on does not change the way the thread goes :P

There is no better way to teach yourself concentration than learning staff next to a topless female.

Phyrecatmember
17 posts

Posted:
yeah, you can buy nuts that have a spring washer attached, but its easy enough to just buy some spring washers to go with the nuts you already have. It makes no difference whether you use the attached washers or seperate ones.

squidBRONZE Member
sanguine
382 posts

Posted:
Basically the two nuts together, or the spring washer, would cause the nut to lock into place by placing enough friction against the thread itself to overcome any chance of slipping off. I know its effective in just about any situation. The threading on the inside of the nut rubs so tightly against the threading of the bolt itself that the whole set is jammed tight. Without a tool and some force to overcome that friction, it doesn't move.

But its not something that is often put under high temperature tests. The only way to know for sure is to test it yourself. I would go for the spring washer over the double nut method because the washer is specifically designed for this kind of thing. The double nut method is simply an improvisation, and that still wont have the same tension that spring tension would.

"to a man whose only tool is a hammer, the whole world looks like a nail." Abraham Maslow

polaritySILVER Member
veteran
1,228 posts

Posted:
Alternatively, if the nut and bolt are big enough you can drill a hole right through the side of them, and lock them in place with a split pin.

You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.

Green peppers, lime pickle and whole-grain mustard = best sandwich filling.