Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > New To Poi? ASK ME ANYTHING!!!

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
*edit* Going on the idea that it would be good to have all of the beginner style questions in one very informative place.

If you have any questions about beginner poi moves and you don't know what to do, feel free to ask it here and some of us more experienced folks will give it our best shot!

The only thing that we're gonna ask is that:

1) You do a search first!

Click on the blue "Search" link about 2 inches below the pictures in the top of your screen and follow the directions. You'll see lots of old threads which we have spent LOTS of time answering your old questions in. [Old link]

2) Check out the Library!

There's some great videos in the library which also have links to appropriate forum discussions on that topic. The link for the library is just below the "Home of Poi" logo at the top left of your screen. [Secret Passage to the Library.]

3) ASK US!

If you've got a HoP account and have signed in, there should be a box at the bottom where you can type in your post and then hit "continue". Of course, look in the rest of this thread to see if it's been asked as well!

4) Be Patient!

Not just with us. We do have lives off the internet so there might be some down time but your question will get answered. But also be patient with learning poi. If you're not getting a move, try something different and go back to it. Or, just try to do the moves you already know in a more graceful or dancey way.

OK, ASK AWAY! biggrin

EDITED_BY: Pele (1192146559)

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Cool! I think they hurt a bit more than beanbags and might be a bit light for some but if they work for you than go for it!

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

ImbalanceGOLD Member
not different, just not the same
263 posts

Posted:
[edit] I was wrong... and I can't count
EDITED_BY: Imbalance (1190934286)

I once learned every move that there was,
Every style, Every technique.
Then I woke up, and forgot it all,
So now I struggle to dream.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I'm skimming cuz I'm at work but a 3 beat TTN is split time and possible. Just as a 5 beat TTN is splittime and possible but annoying. smile

Does that clear anything up?

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Superquick

I think this is a 3 beat but again am rushing and at work.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

JodieAnnenewbie
5 posts

Posted:
hey I am just getting into poi and fire spinning. I want to do my senior project on this and I was just wondering if you could tell me anything useful. Is it terribly difficult or could most anyone pick it up? Anyhting you could tell me or any pointers u could give a newbie would be much apperciated.

+ Jodie

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Anyone can pick it up.

You're in the right place.

Everyone here started exactly where you are right now.

Have a look around at the library (above), grab a pair of sock poi, and give it a spin.

I'd start here and learn each move and keep hitting "next" smile

I actually think it's a great senior project. You can easily research the history and relevance to the maori people and make yourself look all cultural and historical and such. Maybe even download a maori video like

to get crazy educational street cred.

Welcome! biggrin

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

JodieAnnenewbie
5 posts

Posted:
so i should def start out with sock poi? Im looking at all the options right now and its a little over whelming

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
No, not definitely.

Don't be overwhelmed. Any choice you make is the right one.

And if you get hooked you'll play with all your poi.

I just think sock poi are the easiest to make and get started.

I edited my above post as well. biggrin

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Honestly, if you pick a pair of poi you think look pretty, you'll be in good shape. This way you'll have a pretty set even if you find a set that you find easier to use later.

Though you should probably have a pair of sock poi somewhere in your arsonal. But you should probably have a pair of non-sock poi in your arsonal as well so, again, you're not going to regret any poi you make or buy. smile

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

JodieAnnenewbie
5 posts

Posted:
haha, nice. picking something pretty is something I can do. Ill have to let you know which ones I go with.

Thanks for your help juggle

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Sometimes the ones with tails can be tricky even though they are pretty because the tails tangle.

If you're gonna order online, pick a cute set of sock poi and you'll be set.

Unless you really want the fluffy ones which are ubercute but might tangle a bit more but are probably closer to the feel of fire poi but aren't as easy to learn advanced stuff with but...

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

ImbalanceGOLD Member
263 posts

Posted:
yep, i am wrong. I have no idea why i had it burned into my head that the move is a 4bt split time... Just went and spun a split time ttn and yep, 3 beats. I've actually been doing that move way longer than I have the same time 4bt variety. I've actually been trying to figure out how in the world I had that wrong for so long and I'm usually a stickler for counting the beats... only thing I can figure out is because I learned it by accident when first trying to learn the 4bt same time version WAAAAAAAAAAAY back... musta just called it 4bt because that's what I was striving for.

anyway.. i was wrong. ooooops

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Booo! This is the internet! Never admit when you're wrong! Throw out some personal attacks and irrelevant facts! Twist some words and throw some mud! Booo!

wink

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

whyBRONZE Member
not _Y_
720 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Imbalance

One tip I can give that has helped tremendously is learning what I call changing or isolating the "bounce point."

Sounds interesting.. that my playtime sorted for this weekend

You see things; and you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say, "Why not?" George Bernard Shaw

MagicalNaliSILVER Member
3 posts

Posted:
heres a quick Q...

when i bought my first set of poi te guy i bought it from gave me ones that were my exact arm length... now i bought another set and they have like enough string... mini rope stuff for really big people. how can i make it my size??

(dunno if that made any sense or not

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
knot it to make it shorter?

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
As you learn more poi you'll hopefully learn to work with different size chains. I find that I tend to favor different moves depending on which sized strings I'm using.

I sometimes go with the philosophy that they should be a bit longer because you can always shorten up while you're spinning.

With that said, if you want to shorten up your strings it's simply a matter of cutting them and reattaching them. Obviously depends greatly on how your strings are attached in the first place.

biggrin

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

MagicalNaliSILVER Member
3 posts

Posted:
thank yooou. havent really got many moves in te bag yet so will hopefully sort that out heh xxx

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
No rush. Have fun. biggrin

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

ComaSILVER Member
28 posts

Posted:
I finally got how to do the BTB 3-beat into the forward BTB 3-beat....but I dont know when to turn to do the BTB 3-beat again....

I'm missing the timing....when do I turn????

GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Coma

I finally got how to do the BTB 3-beat into the forward BTB 3-beat....but I dont know when to turn to do the BTB 3-beat again....

I'm missing the timing....when do I turn????

Ill trade you, i can see when to turn but still cant do the forward BTB 3 beat weave

ImbalanceGOLD Member
263 posts

Posted:
you turn half way into the cross over. lets say you are doing reverse btb, and you want to turn your body to the left, once you get both poi to your left side your LEFT hand will lead the cross to the right, once it crosses and your right hand is following, turn WITH your right hand (turn left).

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Nice. biggrin

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Salamander7BRONZE Member
7 posts

Posted:
Ok heres my question : What is the meaning of life?

Na only kidding, i was wondering are there any tips you can give me about shoulder reels? I can do it, just but my rip reels and shoulder reels arent very flueant

<Enter Something Witty Here>

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Work on hand at a time. (Useful tip for any move.)

Focus on rotationg the wrist as well.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

ImbalanceGOLD Member
263 posts

Posted:
work on that scooping motion that i'm sure you've heard mentioned on every video and site that talks about poi. It is probably THE MOST useful motion you can learn. Once you progress more you will find that you need less and less movement of your hand/arm to get the desired movement from your poi. Work on this now, let the poi spin and try to force it less and let THEM do the work. Just tug gently at the right times and you'll find the spinning looks more fluid and is much easier.

A mistake a lot of people make as beginners is over controlling the poi. Forcing them around and trying to make the poi do what you want 100% of the time. This WILL NOT WORK. Poi will happily spin in a lil circle with very little help from you, use this to your advantage, just tug enough to counteract gravity and nudge the poi to the side you want them to go.

Keep trying!

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Indeed. I've found it more of a "when" to give that little tug becomes more important than "how" or "where".

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
I just don't get regular hip reels...

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

Salamander7BRONZE Member
7 posts

Posted:
Thanks for the advise folks, sure enough i took your advise and i'm looking alot more fluid already!

Now i've started working on angel wings, so i was wondering ....There like a butterfly into a shoulder reel right?

And a second question, i recently learned the cork screw. But i'm not sure how i can switch into this move, i find myself havin to really slow my poi down till they're almost in a stand still position

Mike
EDITED_BY: Salamander7 (1191663684)

<Enter Something Witty Here>

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I'm dodging the angel wing question because I've never actually heard of that term. smile

As for the corkscrew, there are a few different approaches. Perhaps one of the easiest ways is just to bend over from a windmill (since it's the same move just horizontal.)

There are ways to radically change planes in a smooth manner if you can manage to flick your arm at just the right time.

If I'm doing a forward weave on my left side I'm going
Over with my right hand
Then with my left hand
Then I can bring my right hand under and radically change planes to have that right hand sweep under my belly from left to right and the other poi follows.

So if you just try it with your right poi (put your left down) it goes:
Over the left (on the left side)
Under the left (on the left side)
Then twist the poi so it's going across your belly button (right paralel with your belt) in the first move of a corkscrew)
Then above your head

But that does mash your planes as my girlie just chastised me for. wink

A smoother way might be to transition from a weave to a windmill. That involves just a 90 degree twist.

If you need help with that, maybe someone else can take the question as I'm heading out to the countryside for the weekend.

Have fun. biggrin

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Page: