fire fairymember
1 post

Posted:
Ive just started to light my poi and on my second run lost concentration and smacked myself on the head giving myself a rather attractive new fringe. in practice i never learnt to stop them hitting me as it never hurt. you can feel when u r loosin control - any tips on how to stop the swing.

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
I think that's the wrong approach. Work on not hitting yourself. I still hit myself, especially on new-ish moves, but less and less.Stopping the swing is unreliable. For one thing, it depends on you reacting quickly enough, which won't always be possible. It also often results in losing control and hitting yourself somewhere else (trust me on this). Finally, it's just bad showmanship

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Yeah, I'll echo Adam on this. Only perform the move you can do without hitting youself when you light up. When I can get a move ten times in a row without fault and get smoothly in and out of it, then I feel ok about trying it on fire. Remember also (not that I really need to explain this), that performing on fire is different than performing unlit. Whatever way you decide, make extra sure you're only performing skills you're really sure of when you light up. Diana

FireSpiritSILVER Member
Classic 90's Fire Dancer... Poi, Staff, Doubles, and Breathing
743 posts

Posted:
I see where you are comming from now Diana. You thought I was doing new stuff on fire before practicing! shocked I use my practice poi wich are the same as my fire poi, but only covered in fabric. Same Chains, diff poi. I don't like swivels and other mettel objects at the end of the chains. They hurt! smile Disreguard the post on the Key rings.SkiChristian

FIRE IS ALIVE!
IT LIVES AND BREATHS!
IT CONSUMES, AND DISTROYS!
BUT WE CONTROL IT,
AND DANCE WITH FIRE!!

Mr SockGOLD Member
94 posts

Posted:
What they say about only trying moves you know well with fire is a great idea. My personal last ditch escape if i start to lose control of my poi is to let my arms go limp, that way if i do hit myself i won't hit myself very hard and usually in the legs, which i think don't hurts as much (and doesn't burn you if you're wearing long pants)

Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted - Martin Luther King Jr.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
stopping the swing? no...learning to duck? works for me.Josh

Ianddmember
39 posts

Posted:
you're looking at thi sfrom the wrong angle, the question is not how to stop hitting yourself but to be able to work this unexpected swing into a stylish, smooth continuation to another part of a move, move your body more, if you're already moving when it comes towards your face it is no problem to keep going. Learn to be able to put the poi anywhere around your body and come out into anything.

soup!

Thistleold hand
950 posts

Posted:
Shave your head, thats what i did.

Are we nearly there yet?