Forums > Social Chat > Heroes -- the new show about superpowers *possible SPOILERS*

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ...
_khan_SILVER Member
old hand
768 posts

Posted:
I've completely gotten obsessed with the new show Heroes, about ordinary people (like junkies and webcam strippers ubblol) who develop superpowers. It's kind of a cross between X-Men and Lost. There've only been three episodes but I'm hooked, hooked, hooked. Anyone else seen it and want to geek out? Has it even aired outside the States yet?
EDITED_BY: _khan_ (1162506395)

taken out of context i must seem so strange
~ ani di franco

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
*Waits to get home to Bittorrent* ubbangel

BEZERKERenthusiast
237 posts

Posted:
It hasn't aired outside the stats yet afaik but I have also been watching it and think it is the best new stuff on telly.

I've been hard in to BSG and Lost in the last year but have to say this is right up there.

......must.....resist.....urge .....to......discusssss........spoilers........power fading......

_khan_SILVER Member
old hand
768 posts

Posted:
just have to say last night's episode (the 4th) was awesome. the mysteries just keep getting deeper...

~ ani di franco

BEZERKERenthusiast
237 posts

Posted:
***potential spoiler***

I LOVED the taste we got of what Hiro will end up like once he comes to terms with his powers. All ninjad up and stuff.

We may have to mark this thread heavily for spoilers so I can vent my spleen about this show. So many cool characters and plots unfolding.

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
Oh what... you mean like the X-Men?

Sheesh, like it hasn't been done already...

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

_khan_SILVER Member
old hand
768 posts

Posted:
FRD: This show does resemble X-Men in concept (as I alluded to in my original post), though not in execution. Though the prototype for the concept isn't so much X-Men in particular as superhero stories in general.

Bezerker: yeah I'm really looking forward to seeing how future Hiro gets there. Can't wait to find out what his message is.

~ ani di franco

Antti_EverythingGOLD Member
addict
446 posts

Posted:
I watched the first 4 episodes of it few days ago and I loooooooooooove it !!!!!

Unbelievably good !! This series will be huge.. way better than Lost I'd say. Even though I loved it too (and watched 2 seasons in 7 days)

Point your toes.

Mr_JoePart-time genius
59 posts

Posted:
I whole-heartedly agree the first four episodes have me seriously hooked! I guess the fifth hasn't aired in yankland yet if it's not reached bit-torrent? I cannae wait! biggrin

Joe x

_khan_SILVER Member
old hand
768 posts

Posted:
The fifth episode airs tonight (in 10 hours, California time).

I will resist the urge to post any spoilers. tongue

~ ani di franco

addict
446 posts

Posted:
"You want some spoilers? I got some spoilers for you.. You will D I E A L O N E.."

- Triumph on Star Wars nerds (Conan O'Brien)

I think the series is made really well. All I can complain about is that I think they overdid Claire, the cheerleader. Too many accidents.. Well Hiro found his skills pretty fast also but I didn't mind that that much..

Point your toes.

BEZERKERenthusiast
237 posts

Posted:
All I have to say is Sonic Boom and sweet landing.

This show is fantastic.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Oooooooh...love it!

The episode that airs tonite is the same that aired on Monday...the 4th one. Which is worth seeing again.

So, we play the Marvel RPG, especially PWB. We also read the Xmen comics, though not religiously. We just enjoy the escape whilst passing time in a bookstore.

This show may have the concept of superheroes, like DC and Marvel, however the execution is well beyond any characters you will find in those books/shows.

It reminds me more of the high end graphic novels, like Kabuki, Sandman or Crow where the plots are more labrynthian and the characters are mysteriously intertwined.
I think this show also pulls it off better than Lost, which lost me after the first season because it just got stupid to me.

The use of characters in this is refreshing. All too often shows/stories that have people with super powers tend to represent them in a fashion that isn't accurate to what *would* be if it were real. It annoys the sh*t out of me. The concepts of always using power for "the greater good" and donning outfits and such is antiquated, and is a blatant throwback to Superman's evolution during the depression and WWII, with the blantant good vs. evil.
Here, we are still left wondering.
They are playing into the dark hero and team concepts with alot of intrigue and ample mystery to keep me on the edge of my seat.

Or worse is what they do with ones, like the Xmen. Don't get me started on how horrible the movies were and how inaccurately represented/used their powers were.

So far this show has retained a humanism in the midst of the powers that I really like (how much angst and retrobution already...car meets wall, jeckyll meets hyde...soooooo AWESOME!)

I know people who think it moves to slow, but honestly, it's forward motion reminds me alot of a comic, including the suspense hanging endings. I like how things aren't wrapped up conveniently every hour.
I love the gradual character developement/mixing and the intelligent placement of powers.

And Hiro cracks me up!

And yes Berserker...that had us wooting as well...it rocked!

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

_khan_SILVER Member
old hand
768 posts

Posted:
yes, yes, yes. Pele, I agree with all that you said, and appreciate this show for the same reasons. I really rather like the pace of the show. I do wish they would all meet up already, but enjoy the suspense of how it's unfolding and seeing how they get there.

Nathan's flight was awesome. I loved his and Hiro's interaction. I love how they're starting to discover their connections -- at least Peter & Isaac are. I'm really annoyed with Mohinder right now. Based on the previews, it looks like Niki confronts her alter-ego tonight! And I'm looking forward to meeting her husband.

I am in love with this show in a way I haven't loved a show since Buffy. I can hardly believe what a fanboy I have turned into.

~ ani di franco

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
I'm 12 minutes into epp 1 now thanks to you guys, I hope you realise it's WRONG to dangle carrots infront of people with addictive personalities, you're eating into my spinning time :P

Blinded by Hyperlights, please donate generously grin

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
2 minutes into epp3 now and it's 2.30am

DO YOU SEE! mad2

help

bounce

addict
446 posts

Posted:
Episode six !!

Point your toes.

_khan_SILVER Member
old hand
768 posts

Posted:
that throwdown with Niki & D.L.!! eek

*spoiler removed*
EDITED_BY: _khan_ (1162414658)

~ ani di franco

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
I saw 1 to 5 the first night I started watching it, then 6 when I finally woke up the next day, lol.

khan, that could be a spoiler for many... . sigh
EDITED_BY: Yakumo (1162424531)

_khan_SILVER Member
old hand
768 posts

Posted:
Yakumo, you're right. I removed the spoiler out of courtesy to anyone who hasn't seen it yet...I just was so excited by this development.

[off topic]
Anyone know how to make the text the same color as the background? I couldn't figure out the code for the color, but then realized that people with different settings in their preferences would have different colored backgrounds anyway.
[\off topic-ness]

Back to the show though...anyone else think something is going to happen to jackie -- the cheerleader who claimed credit for saving the guy in the burning train? I feel like too big a deal was made of her taking credit for it to not have repercussions later. Especially looking at Isaac's paintings, in a couple of them we only see a blonde cheerleader, not necessarily Claire...

~ ani di franco

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
chukkle, yup, me too. though there was flash forward stuff..

maybe we need to petition for a spoiler tag on the board smile

TabtI Doubt, Therefore I Might Be
1,007 posts

Posted:
i love youtube smile ubblove

does anyone think this will air in the uk?

Owner of Dragosani's right side.

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
maybe, probably, lost and things do, jsut very late. beats crap like torchwood hands down.
has a high squik factor so may get edited down, or just hopefully shown late though.

not that it matters as I'll have seen them all by then

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Yakumo, it has a high squik factor? Really? Like what?

And, welcome to the addiction! lol

OMG the whole thing between Niki and DL...umm wow. And DL..he's the superhuman of the superhumans! I definately would want to be on his side! What more does he possibly need?

I love that they are starting to come together. When Hiro's friend showed up at Niki's I almost fell off the couch laughing. And the developements that went with her!!! eek

Now they're also picking up more comic habits in not exploring every member of the crew each "issue/episode". I like how the Petrelli's and the cop were fairly well non-exsistant in the last epi.

As for the cheerleader..well...when all you have to go on is "Save the cheerleader, save the world" (it's in the commercial so I can say it here! wink ), and one was in the media for it...well.....
It does make one wonder, doesn't it?

Pele

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
I watched the first episode expecting it to be some daft 6pm air time daftness like smallville or something, so the ribcage thing, and the detail in the ring recovery scene surprised me. definitely not for kids.

I think it's fantastic they've done a show like this targeting adults smile

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Yakumo

I watched the first episode expecting it to be some daft 6pm air time daftness like smallville or something, so the ribcage thing, and the detail in the ring recovery scene surprised me. definitely not for kids.

I think it's fantastic they've done a show like this targeting adults smile

I can see that, it makes sense.
Here it is rated PG or PG-13 as being suitable for kids (or 13 and up) with parental guidance.

My son loves it but can only see it on Fridays when he doesn't have school the next day.
On Tuesday here it airs at 9pm, which is his bedtime.

Pele

MandSILVER Member
Keeper of the Spitfire
2,317 posts

Posted:
Ah yes, another tv show that Kim and I have become addicted to rolleyes

I wasn't too impressed after watching the first one- I thought it seemed a little cheesy and far fetched- but then again I was only half watching it whilst doing other stuff, and couldn't appreciate it for what it was.
I forgot about it and missed the second episode, and gave up on watching it despite hearing all the good reviews.
Then, somehow I accidentaly watched a re-run of the second episode, which was followed by the third... and now of course I'm hooked, and have watched them all since then.

Favourite character? Definitely Hiro! smile

Lets steal a spaceship and head for the sun, and shoot the stars with a lemonade ray gun.

_khan_SILVER Member
old hand
768 posts

Posted:
Hiro rocks! "I had a sword." ubblol that was such a cute moment.

Here'an Entertainment Weekly profile on the show, in case anyone is interested in such things. It does contain some spoilers so don't read it if you don't want to know anything about anything...

~ ani di franco

BlayzeSILVER Member
Doesn't play well with others...
187 posts

Posted:
Okay, I'll admit that I'm also addicted to this show. We missed parts of the first 3 episodes so I am still a little lost.
I'll just have to keep watching to figure it out...what else is there to do at 10:00 on a monday night? wink

I smile because I have no idea what is going on...

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
Hiro is absolutely the thing that carried the show for me the most, it's his glorious enthusiam, and ability to freely and unreservedly bound about the place with glee.

the 'geek discovers powers with surprise and amusement' thing is tried and tested now (matrix, spiderman), but he does it in such a lovely way smile

BEZERKERenthusiast
237 posts

Posted:
"but he does it in such a lovely way"

Yeah, it will be sad to see that part of him change as he becomes the badass it appears he will.

A person on another forum I go to had a lame theory about the bombs going of and destroying the world and that if they did not save the cheeleader then noone would survive. The he has some lame religious idea that the younger Petrelli and Claire will repopulate the earth like Adam and Eve.

Have you ever heard anything lamer?

Page: ...