hug

EDITED_BY: Richee (1230569619)
EDIT_REASON: Recoding

POI THEO(R)IST

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Richee is that some crazy flow diagram? What do the points represent?

*is confused but intruiged*

Let's relight this forum ubblove

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
dunc: black dot hand, blue dot poi head.

came out of the latter part of this discussion i believe:
[Old link]

i'm not sure about the second pattern either due to the momentum change issues...

it seems you would run into the same problems as when trying to spin superspin with poi - that being a change of direction (momentum) that requires the hand to push the poi in the new direction rather than pull it.

this is required when moving up or down from the the 3 or 9 o'clock positions to the 6 or 12 o'clock positions.

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
Richee, I love the way that you're thinking. smile
But you're not quite there....
Add gravity and inertia/momentum to your theoretical model.

biggrin

Also look more carefully at the movement of the hand as the poi goes past the middle in the infinity (top figure)
I think its not quite right biggrin

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
drew, you been totally ignoring the staff forum again...? rolleyes

tongue

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Droooo

Also look more carefully at the movement of the hand as the poi goes past the middle in the infinity (top figure)

yup, that aint right, not with pesky gravity and all. Theoretically you could do that figure eighty pattern with pure up and down hand movement, but not like that.

Written by: Cowlmann

it seems you would run into the same problems as when trying to spin superspin with poi - that being a change of direction (momentum) that requires the hand to push the poi in the new direction rather than pull it.

i kind of agree with you. But you can get round that if your poi have any degree of 'stiffness' to them, as with cone poi or ropes. You only need a very small application of push if your really careful working with the downward momentum of the poi.

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
 Written by: simian

i kind of agree with you. But you can get round that if your poi have any degree of 'stiffness' to them, as with cone poi or ropes. You only need a very small application of push if your really careful working with the downward momentum of the poi.

cool - show me ubbangel

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
 Written by: simian

yup, that aint right, not with pesky gravity and all.

Meh, do them with clubs.

I find they work best if you're only spinning one club because that frees up a hand, letting you shake your fist at the ground while shouting 'gravity, I defy you!' wink

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Could you do it if you were constantly changing between normal way up, and upside down to counter the gravity? umm

Oooooooh... spinning poi inside a gryoscope! eek

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
Interesting stuff, from first glance i'd say the first one will just about work if we are looking directly down on the poi (altho not sure the middle line would be exactly straight)

the second diagram looks like it would need clubs not poi, since the poi change direction at the points and seem to be pushed to the next point.

Spherculism ~:~ The Act of becoming Spherculish.

Red_RaveNGOLD Member
Neo - Hippie
358 posts

Posted:
umm the 2nd one is actually possible as I see it.. only the poi that goes up would have to be swung from a stall and directly isolated. Will try this in the evening I promise wink

Smile.. It confuses people..:)

Wonders never cease as long as you never cease to wonder.

3,149 posts

Posted:
White: the bit me and cole are unsure about is the fact that it goes out to the side, then when the poi is horizontal, and the head is pointed in toward the centre, your hand pushes it back into the middle again. Cole reckons this isn't possible. i reckon it takes very specific poi and is just very very hard.

If you take out the pushing part, then the poi head just goes up and down. That is definitely possible. i was doing it with duballstar and durbs on tuesday. It was ugly, jerky and unreliable, but i can see how it could be cleaned up. Its about the same order of difficulty as an isolation centred on the head of the poi.

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

Red_RaveNGOLD Member
Neo - Hippie
358 posts

Posted:
Hmm of course it cant be done as in the picture.. It would take a specific entry and the poi would have to enter when they are vertical.. then make a kind of a full iso.. then exit. I will try to play with it for a while and see what I come to..

And I also just now remembered that these are just one poi moves : )) With the 2nd you could do the top and bottom part each with one poi.. Somehow.. Probably.. smile

Smile.. It confuses people..:)

Wonders never cease as long as you never cease to wonder.

3,149 posts

Posted:
the second one works just fine if you turn it 90degrees, so the poi point down when at the top of the circle, up at the bottom, and point outwards at the sides.

i do a half a beat of that one pretty regularly with two poi. Pretty easy to get clean, looks nice, and non scary enough for completely non-techy people to learn.

(just as long as you don't mention the "*ntis*in" wink )

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
First one: Come on guys, look a bit more carefully at the motion of the hand and the poi as the poi goes past the centre position.
Its only possible with a club, and then its not very pretty because the flow will be broken by the 2 corners as the head passes the centre position.

Grade: D(minus) I'm very dissapointed in you all, I was expecting more from my favorite object manipulating geeks.

Cole, I follewed your link to the staff thread thanks, yes very nece and vey geeky smile

3,149 posts

Posted:
0 points for Monkey Post Reading to Mr Glass tongue

as I said, that top pattern is poi-ssible with pure up and down hand movement, but not like that. It works fine if you smoothly follow the fig 8 pattern, but not if you "bounce" at the centre like in Richees pictcher...

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
[Full catch]

This move can be done starting with double catch and con-

tinue swapping head or handle.

[Elypse]

Very close to isolation, but different.

[Superspin]

Circle is closed object. Has no end, no beginning.

--------

IMAGES NOT AVAILABE.

It is infinite you know.

love nad light,

:R

POI THEO(R)IST

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
 Written by: TheBovrilMonkey

I find they work best if you're only spinning one club because that frees up a hand, letting you shake your fist at the ground while shouting 'gravity, I defy you!' wink

This is my new favourate contact move! ubblove

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.