GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Just seen these vids about incredibly flexible people
heres one
archery

How much training would be needed to maintain that sort of flexibilty? For those who are flexible naturally are you losing it as you get older. I cant even touch my toes without bending my knees anymore yet my 75 yo mum can lay her hands flat

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

Pogo69SILVER Member
there's no charge for awesomeness... or attractiveness
3,764 posts

Posted:
mmm... I've never been particularly flexible, gnor... but I can definitely be a lot more so, with regular training... been a long, long time since I've bothered though

I would *guess* that I'm still as, or more flexible than the *average* man my age... but then, that's not hard

--pogo (pat) [forever and always]

BasstonesGOLD Member
Do you do the poiz?
530 posts

Posted:
Pat i saw what you can do with a lightpost :O You are very flexible for your age!

Wish i could look at these vids but at work at the moment frown

I have always been blown away by contortionsts though, seeing some of the things they can do is unbelievable. Only ones i have seen in person would be the girls from Alegria though.

"In the end there is only fire and a waterfall"

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Basstones

Pat i saw what you can do with a lightpost :O You are very flexible for your age!

eek

umm

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

the_mods_stole_my_nameSILVER Member
travelling without moving
1,286 posts

Posted:
take your mind out of the gutter rouge! ubblol

Heilige Scheiße, Batman kommt!

Reality is just a state of mind which occurs through a lack of lsd

XxX owned by devilsarmy XxX

O.B.E.S.E.

Pogo69SILVER Member
there's no charge for awesomeness... or attractiveness
3,764 posts

Posted:
OI!!!!!!!!!!!

what's this "for your age" business?

and beth... wouldn't you like to know?? hehehe

--pogo (pat) [forever and always]

The Tea FairySILVER Member
old hand
853 posts

Posted:
haven't watched vids, at work, but I'm guessing lots and lots and lots of practice every day for years, but after a while your body gets used to it and keeps it's elasticity a bit longer even if you don't stretch.

I did yoga for about 9 years that got me really flexible. Haven't been practicing regularly for the last 3 years but I'm still pretty stretchy and I can still get both my legs behind my head. smile

Idolized by Aurinoko

Take me disappearing through the smoke rings of my mind....

Bob Dylan

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contortion

also google "contortion"

and this is interesting
https://www.cmcrossroads.com/bradapp/docs/rec/stretching/

smile

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
Ps. turn google safe search and parental controls to the "on" position first :omg: biggrin

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
mmm only problem with being really flexible is that it reduces the stability in your joints...

A friend of mine is studying at NICA, and he reckons word is that good contortionists can look forward to being in a wheel chair from mid 40s onwards...

I wonder if its the same for Capoeira people? cuz they certainly must maintain the strength and stability of their joints to withstand impacts n stuff...where as Contortion seems to be very low impact.

oh yeah - also from training with many adult martial artists over the years its certainly much easier to get flexible and stay flexible when your young, than to start when your older. Not that it cant be done, just that kids are naturally more bendy.

Josh

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
It looks like it puts huge pressure on all your joints.

Is it the Truth?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

GothFrogetteBRONZE Member
grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
I'm no where near as flexible as i used to be but i am actually working on it. Yoga helps and i am also using the New York Ballet DVD.
i used to dance loads when i was younger.. to the point where i could stand still and get my leg touching my ear while still being straight... and without killing me.

it does take alot of hard work and a hell of alot of stretching.
I don't expect to get as flexible as i used to be as i don't train as much, am old and have had 2 kids = time taken up with things other than training. Althgouh you can incorpret stretches into house work and playing with the kids. ubblol ubblol

Life's too short to worry about where you put your marshmallows

The Tea FairySILVER Member
old hand
853 posts

Posted:
It does put pressure on the joints... best to build up slowly, don't force anything into uncomfortable positions and find methods to reduce strain on the joints e.g. proper warm ups/warm downs and resting after stretching.

Idolized by Aurinoko

Take me disappearing through the smoke rings of my mind....

Bob Dylan

TabtI Doubt, Therefore I Might Be
1,007 posts

Posted:
i used to a lot of gymnastics when i was younger and they used to stretch me by having one woman pulling my legs whith her feet on my back and the other woman pulling my body forward so it was putting extra tension on my legs.

i think im trying to say that i was very flexible when i was younger, i find that i can still do the splits now as well as quite harsh backwards bends.

they are nowhere near the level that i used to be able to do them, but i dont train or stretch my flexibility . i just find that i can still do it.

so i think that whilst training and stretching are essential for keeping up the level of flexibility that you want to maintain or aspire towards, once you have reached a certain point, you will always be flexible.

that made sense to me when i was thinking it... biggrin

Owner of Dragosani's right side.

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
In Meenicks vid I think they were saying a muscle has to be under tension for 30 seconds to get the stretching benefit. Its made me think when I do stretches to take more time.

Is it the Truth?

Triptoemember
71 posts

Posted:
I am really flexible in fact cool i can reach my left ear with my right hand by going on the top of my head and then around. people think it's disgusting, i just love it biggrin i also can reach my feet with my hands or put by feet on my shoulders behind my neck, or use my left arm as a great pillow behind my neck biggrin people scream if they see that ubblol it's great being flexible cool footinmouth i got it from my mother, she was flexible too

-I love goats and cheesecake-

NOnactivist for HoPper liberation.
1,643 posts

Posted:
you tube's all messed up currently, so no vids either... I was going to say though, i think contortion is a lot different to being flexible, some contortionists are actually able to dislocate and relocate shoulders and joints in order to perform the contortion, that cannot be healthy. General flexibility though is good, and i do think you can increase flexibility whatever age you are, it just might take more time if you're older because your body heals slower. I used to do dancing and all sorts up until i was 15/16, then i got problems with my knees and stopped, but when i eventually got to see a physiotherapist, the one thing she did that helped the knee problem really a lot is to give me stretching exercises to lengthen certain muscles. It was really effective, and even if i do it every now and then i can still feel the benefits. I think because i was quite active when i was younger i now really really notice my non-movement, especially at work, and it does feel good to be stretched, so methinks i might take up yoga or something...

Aurinko freedom agreement reached 10th Sept 2006

if it makes no sense that's because it's NOn-sense.

wolfbro001SILVER Member
77 posts

Posted:
I have a very flexible upper body, and a rather unflexible-but-strong lower body. i can do all sorts of stuff that creeps people out with my arms, but my legs aren't very stretchy. I have been trying to get back in shape to re-enter the capoeira world. i reckon the reason my arms are so bendy is because of all the capoeira i used to do when i was younger. over the past few months though, i have noticed that there are a few more cases of leg pain since i started again, but it's subsided now... there are certain stretches that are used to condition capoeiristas that would be great for the people out there with leg pains, or joint problems as well as increasing general flexibility. before i started them i couldn't touch my toes. now i can put my fingers a couple of inches past that point :o I've been meaning to check out yoga for a few years but never get around to it :P