Page:
pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
Well after a kindo of OK weekend spent in London at the weeked. Me and nancy left glass's on sunday afternoon to head to St.Pancras station to catch a train.
on our arrival, we bumped in to HoPs mr Jez.
so anyway were stood there talking and having a cigarette and this big black security guy walks up to me and said in a dull trying to be hard london accent "you smoking drugs", so i said to him, does it smell like i am?, he replys "yes". so i take a glance at nancy and Jez, both know i dont smoke or take drugs [weed in presense of tempest is known] and they start to laugh. so yeah i kinda stand out in a crowd, i am smoking a hand rolled cigarette with licourice papers, but comon dude you need to purchase some real good weed, seems that &%&% your buying in london must be s**te, you need to try / and or smell some decent weed, not ground up coffee particles.
since when does golden vag rolled in licourice papers ever smelled remotly like some herbs?

so my point here apart from the funny element to my incident, is why do people make this judgement / and or asumption of me, based on my appearance?? . i know i am asking for this one.... been here a few times but this one makes me laugh.

brainstormaBRONZE Member
old hand
1,184 posts

Posted:
it always amuses my when im in a night club that people always ask me if they can buy a pill from me or speed or wat have you

i always look them in the eye and say sorry i dont deal

or i do what a firend of mine told me i look them in the eyes and ask them if they realy want one they will either get nervus and walk away or if they say yes i then tell them i dont deal and to go ask some one els

at first i wondered why this was always happening to me untill it was pointed out by a friend that it may have somthing to do with the way i dress and act

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, and screaming "WOO-HOO What a ride!"

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
but do we honestly look like drug dealers? i hope i dont or am percieved that i am based on the way i look, act or dress.

[ 18. February 2003, 16:16: Message edited by: 1112 ]

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I judge people solely on the number of times they change their names on "Home of Poi".

You damn crack smoking drug dealing freak. And stay the hell off of my lawn ya damn hippies.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
roflmao!

scathingly brilliant!

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
names reflect my state of mind, most often random. or just my sense of humour.

ZoltarBRONZE Member
Beginner
282 posts

Posted:
I cant remember the last time I went out and wasnt approached for pills/trips or speed. My usual response is - "No, don't take drugs man..... they will fuk you up"

So much fire, so little body hair...

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
zoltar you shoud change that one to:
"no man, they will make you look like me! do you really want them still?"

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
(takes off his moderators cap)

I agree exactly, Brainstorma1

I get approached several times a night when fire-busking if I know where to get certain illegal substances from...

But, that's because of the way I dress when I firebusk. When in my day-to-day civvies, I've never been approached about that topic.

NO, people shouldn't take one look at you and form a stereo-type in their head based on what you look like to them.

BUT...THEY DO! This is simply a fact of life. They way you look and act affects the way you are treated by strangers.

Since the chance of a stranger seeing you is thousands of times higher than that of a friend seeing you, then your experience is almost statistically certain. There is almost defintely a lot more people who don't speak their mind who have already formed that same opinion. They just choose to keep their mouths shut.

Some people have a certain style of dress and actions that others may interpret as 'druggie' or 'dealer'.

It's their choice to continue to dress and act like that, knowing full well that it will be misinterpreted by someone at some point in the future.

It's just like a busker who complains that they get heckled by the odd dickhead in the audience. If you are going to stand in front of a whole bunch of strangers and entertain them, hecklers are just one of the things that will happen. It's a direct result of the decision to go out and busk.

If it gets too much, stop busking, if it is an acceptable con compared to the pros of busking, keep busking.

The whole of life is like this, not much of it is fair, but we always have the choice to change our image (although we shouldn't have to) if we don't like the way our image is interpreted.

In my opinion, of course

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Conversation that happens about once every 5 minutes in my life..

Them: So what do you do for a living?

Me: Oh, I'm a high school chemistry teacher.

Them: Oh man, I HATED chemistry!

Me: (As after 7 years I am still unable to reply to a complete stranger violently stating that they hate what I do for a living I am usually silent.)

Them: Wait can...

Me: No, I can't make you extacy.

Them: Oh.... Man, I REALLY HATED chemistry.

The Ex part usually makes me laugh. I can't tell you how many people say the "I hated chemistry" thing to me. I'm surprised at how few realize that it's a bit rude to say to a stranger. I don't really care. I hated chemistry in HS too, but if someone told me their profesion the next sentence out of my mouth wouldn't have the word "hate" in it. (Sorry, tangent! Point being, it's not just you that gets asked about drugs. )

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
I liked chemistry in high school. For the HSC we were the only two girls in a class full of guys, and we got to do cool things like make stuff explode, and laugh when the guys almost set themselves on fire

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
I get asked alot for drugs too... usually coz I'm so flipping bouncey when I go out.. most people think I'm off my tits.. but I'm not - I just like dancin!

I often think is it because the way I dress? But recently I've decided is that I can actually have loads of fun with out drugs - and the people asking me are the types that if they don't chuck a pill or two down their throat - they won't have a good time! not true - I've been having better times recently out straight than I would have wobbly!

I honour you as an aspect of myself..

You are never to old to storm a bouncey castle..

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
hey NYC:

can you make me Sarin??

SmallBoy - xCarpal \'Tunnel
2,737 posts

Posted:
Oh man I HATED Chemistry - lol........no seriously I hated Biology and my Enlgish teacher.
Most people tell me that they hate Computers but you shouldn't let these people wind you up.
Most people hate things coz they're crap at them and they make the people look stupid. I see it as a persons defence mechanism towards looking like a dum-ass -

Sooooo, these people think firey types are big into drug dealing?? - and I thought it was just the guys at the beach party.....(*Wanders off to buy dreadz-wig, funky clothes and 900 pills*)

Small Lardy Person In Disguise

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
I got funny looks in my hometown for smoking a gudang garam cigarette. Clove tobacco has a distinctive sweet smell, but most definitely not a cannabis scent!

Its a sad fact of life that people judge by appearances. I look like a good girl as work demands, no facial piercings, no mad hair colours or styles, no crotchless trousers to work

I was approached by people asking me for pills as I was spinning. I don't particularly like the sterotype that if you spin = you deal drugs. Although it is true to say you have more chance of finding someone spinning fire that likes the odd narcotic than if you approcahed someone in your local library!

To tell you a little story, going back a long way here but anyhow..

Friends of ours were visiting our hometown. One of the guys Fionn, was a bit of a shocker in the town with his spiky black hair, tight black jeans and white runner boots, black leather jacket and piercings (yes, cringe, but we are going back to 1990 I think!)

After messing about wrapping Fionn up like a mummy with toilet roll (I'm sure it was funny at the time) He was unravelling himself and throwing the paper in the bin when we were approached by the gardai (police). As he was an out-of-towner, the police contacted his local police station in Dublin to see if he had a record!!
For what? Littering?

Even when it was discovered he had a clean slate the garda still hassled Fionn until my mother passed by and vouched for him.

As Pele mentioned already, stereotypes work both ways. Some of my mates from Uni used to think I was very strange until they got to know me, all based on the fact that I wore a long floor length coat, lots of black etc, had weird hair styles. Yet I was uber normal compared to many of the people I hung around with in Dublin!

Many of the people who look 'different' hang out with other people who look different and hence look normal anyhow and so those who look 'normal' by definition look 'different'! Am I making any sense whatsoever

Wouldn't it be boring if everybody looked the same?

Hurrah for diversity

Come faeries, take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame.

- W B Yeats

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
so we get asked if we deal, NYC gets asked if he can make drugs.... i see a good buisness plan here whos up for kidnapping NYC and starting out in the drug world.???

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by glass:
hey NYC:

can you make me Sarin??

eep!

:starting to get worried about glass' intentions/sanity:

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Now let's not get all Mickey Mouse on me either. The fire spinning community is HEAVILY saturated in drug use compared to other hobbies and communities.

I can't think of an event or venue which didn't contain some form of open pot usage. I don't want to start a drug debate because lord knows they've been had BUT it is prevelant in the fire scene.

In fact, none of the other hobbies I've ever had has had even close to the drug usage as fire spinners. Honestly, I don't mind. But it'd be silly to deny.

I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin'.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

DioHoP Mechanical Engineer
729 posts

Posted:
Funny thing, I ALWAYS (without fail, and believe me I tested this theory extensively) got pulled aside in airports and searched "randomly" (yeah f***ing right) for bombs, drugs, what have you. I have no idea what an overweight 16-year old in a ratty pizza store hat and blue jeans pulled too high looks like to drug sniffers( ?), but apparently I was profiled.

UNTIL September 11th security was put into effect, and by some strange ironic twist of fate, I have not been searched a single time. I actually confronted the bag x-ray people the first time this happened, standing there incredulously asking "aren't you going to search me or something?" This was in Chicago O'Hare airport, of all places. AND wearing my nasty clothes since I came sraight from work - Camo pants with white powder all over them (I work in a candy factory) and a punk-rock T-shirt.

This makes relatively little sense to me...

What hits the fan is not evenly distributed.

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
it's not as good night out unless at least 1 person comes up and askyou if he can score drugs from you.......

My all time record = 13 people in 38 minutes at Glastonbury festival (looking lost in the dance tent).

Meh

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
I can't help thinking that if i did sell substances - i would make an absolute killing ....

profit wise at least

[ 19. February 2003, 15:31: Message edited by: C@ntus ]

Meh

thingeymajigmember
43 posts

Posted:
Originally posted by Dio:
quote:
Funny thing, I ALWAYS (without fail, and believe me I tested this theory extensively) got pulled aside in airports and searched "randomly" (yeah f***ing right) for bombs, drugs, what have you. I have no idea what an overweight 16-year old in a ratty pizza store hat and blue jeans pulled too high looks like to drug sniffers( [[Smoking]] ?), but apparently I was profiled.
I wouldn't worry Man, my Mum and me always get profiled (despite the fact my mum looks like any other little old lady), and my Dad got strip searched because he has a hip replacement and they were convinced he was smuggling guns up his arse.

A mildly amusing story: A friend of mine is totally neurotic, and when we were about 16, she was convinced that becoming a speed addict would help her lose weight (don't worry, as you will find out she never managed to get hold of any). The thing was, that she is definately the one person I know who should NOT do drugs (she flipped out tripping once and said, 'what if I go home with my head on backwards, I'll have to tell my mum that I took acid' she was very serious about the matter), Anyway I digress, she was very shy, and didn't know who to go up to in clubs to ask for speed, so we told her that blokes in big black bomber jackets were a good bet. She went up to 3 different guys all in bomber jackets and then came back to us empty handed. We asked what had gone wrong and she replied, 'every single one I asked turned round and had SECURITY written across their T-Shirt' Maybe you had to be there, but it was pretty funny.

xx

....so does it come with a hat?

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
if you ever went to Gatecrasher god forbid around 12 months ago, then any one in a black bomber jacket with security on would happily sell you any drugs you wanted.
that was why there was a drugs raid there, and since, the club has gone to shite.

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
the thing is, pretty much every one will be asked for drugs in nightclubs, what more do you expect from a night out at a club full of peopel off their heads.

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
There used to be a really dodgey door person at Headcharge. Little fella. Shifty eyes...definitely up to no good.

Don't know what happened to him though.

last I heard he was working at the Casbah.....

Meh

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
i wonder what he did with all the drugs he got to confiscate?
i know i never saw any at the time, though uncle darren is a pain for that too.

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
PK, my adorable friend, you are not scary.. allthough... well.. your smelly feet are sometimes

NYC, ROFL, I really love you man, you sweet knucklehead

shine on
cassandra

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
It happened again, tonight. The exact same conversation. It made me laugh. Epecially since I'd just posted about it...

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
So you can't make ecstasy but can you spell it correctly NYC?

Non-Https Image Link

Meh

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
No, Ask PK, he's the druggy.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
get off my lawn you stinky footed kitty eating druggy!

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

Page: