Page:
fire puppyBRONZE Member
69 posts

Posted:
just wondering if anyone has tryed it yet weavesmiley weavesmiley confused ubbloco ubbloco beerchug

the Only good way to quit smoking is to cut your arms off, but then how would you drink coffee?

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
yes.

yes.

weaves can be considered as compressed flowers if you just add the crossovers where they would naturally appear in a weave.

so, a 3bt antispin weave is therefore equivalent to offset trifoils (crossovers before and after every third petal, as in the regular 3bt weave) which is the same pattern as a compressed 3 petal antispin flower smile

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
I get the idea of compressed flowers, and the idea of adding crossovers to make them into weaves. I just don't get the idea of calling them both one in the same.
I could handle calling a weave a compressed flower with added crossovers, but my brain has a hard time calling a pattern where the poi both stay on one side of your body ( flowers ) and a pattern where the poi are crossing your body, as being one and the same.

simtaBRONZE Member
compfuzzled
1,182 posts

Posted:
need video footage head hurt mentalness eek

"the geeks have got you" - Gayle

fire puppyBRONZE Member
69 posts

Posted:
I have to order a special usb cord fore my cam but i promise there will be video soon

the Only good way to quit smoking is to cut your arms off, but then how would you drink coffee?

fire puppyBRONZE Member
69 posts

Posted:
 Written by: stout

I get the idea of compressed flowers, and the idea of adding crossovers to make them into weaves. I just don't get the idea of calling them both one in the same.
I could handle calling a weave a compressed flower with added crossovers, but my brain has a hard time calling a pattern where the poi both stay on one side of your body ( flowers ) and a pattern where the poi are crossing your body, as being one and the same.

fire puppyBRONZE Member
69 posts

Posted:
I never said that they were true flowers just anti spin butterfly if there overhand you force down if under you force up they look like a flower cuz they form petals but still not true flowers

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
stout:

Written by: [Nx?

]
if you think of weave patterns as flower patterns compressed to a point (its just a way of thinking, dont get pedantic on me)

tongue wink

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
Fire puppy, that quote was aimed at deciphering Coleman's statement that flowers and weaves are one in the same. It's not that I don't believe him, it's just that I'm having trouble making enough of a connection between the two "moves" to call them the same thing.

On the other hand the "move" you posted is fairly easy to understand, that is unless, flowers can exist as a designated "move" in wallplane ( as opposed to my understanding of them, which has them as a wheel plane pattern )

It's standard fare when someone comes into these forums and posts about a new move or technique that they've come up with, of course it's going to get broken down to it's component elements in order to figure just what the poster is on about. Quite often, it's not really new, but a variation or combination of elements that's been batted around for years. See the "four balls freestanding" thread for an example of trying to come to grips with confusion.

Tom_ShillSILVER Member
enthusiast
213 posts

Posted:
just to add another angle to this definition deathmatch...

What would you call it when you do a forwards butterfly weave (right hand spinning forward normally, left hand spinning backwards antispun) and then antispin the left hand too?

So you have poi going in opposite directions, with your left hand going backwards crossing OVER the right, and the right hand going forwards crossing UNDER the left.

It's a bit odd because you don't get that bouncy, rolling weave feeling, but it looks about right to me. I'll see about a video now.

Will those capable of telekinesis please raise my hand?

Sambo_FluxGOLD Member
Introverted
833 posts

Posted:
That *sounds* like an antispin butterfly weave. But..... the hand motions aren't a weave, so I don't think you can define it as such. No idea what you'd call it, nice move though.

It's kind of half a normal weave and half a reverse weave, still 3bt... bit a frankenstein move, that one!

I'm with Cole on his definitions. Any connotation of a butterfly weave (assuming normal weave hand motions) always has one hand antispun.... ubbloco

My Mind is a Ship
Emotions become the Waves
Soul is the Ocean

If a quizz is quizzical, what is a test?

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
I'm loving that Frankenstein concept,,I spend way too much time trying to eliminate the Frankenstein factor from my spinning, but never really thought of it as such.

I was thinking in terms of the dork factor, but I'll switch terms....thx.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Tom_Shill

What would you call it when you do a forwards butterfly weave (right hand spinning forward normally, left hand spinning backwards antispun) and then antispin the left hand too?

impossible?

Written by: Tom_Shill

So you have poi going in opposite directions, with your left hand going backwards crossing OVER the right, and the right hand going forwards crossing UNDER the left.

you would end up with some very twisted arms or a very confused head.

fwd weave motion goes from 'under to over'.
rev weave motion goes from 'over to under'.

if your arm is under, you can't perform an 'over to under' motion...

shrug

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
I think antispin butterfly(weaving) is quite possible,

cause when you straight your arm, you get reel.

motion without cross over.

Well, with both hands together, you shoud know that

anti-spin is wheel plane with each hand on it's side

in the base, without cross-over.

The question is turning?

Reel straight arm anti-spin is almost possible with

direction and timing independency. Imagine your anti-

spin weave static, but this is simple weave.

When you slow down your Poi, weaving and just

a little bit diffrent threading's fine.

lightning,

:R
EDITED_BY: Richee (1158097801)

POI THEO(R)IST

Sambo_FluxGOLD Member
Introverted
833 posts

Posted:
I think the move Tom's describing is possible, it's not a weave motion though. Here's what I think it is (I have a feeling I'm doing it reverse to Tom though):

Start with a forward butterfly on your left side, right hand on top

On the downstroke, take your left hand to the right side. Follow it with the right hand on the upstroke. You should now be at the top of an outwards butterfly on your right side, with your right hand on top.

Now, thread the needle on your right, so the right hand is underneath (or on the outside of the butterfly)

As the poi pass each other on the bottom (right side, right hand on top), take the right poi back over to the left on the upstroke, and again follow it with the left hand poi.

The next time the poi go past each other should now be on your left side at the bottom with your right hand on top.

Continue the butterfly, but DON'T thread the needle as you would in a normal butterfly weave, do a normal butterfly. You should get to the top on the left side, still with your right hand on top. This is where you started from.

Confused yet?

Alternative method of thinking about it: Do a normal butterfly weave, starting on the left with forward butterfly, but everytime you'd go left over right to change sides (left to right), take the left poi OUTSIDE the right poi. The rest of the move stays the same.

I *think* both hands are antispun this way, BUT.... it's not a weave motion, it's more like half a reverse weave followed by half a forwards weave, hence I've termed it a frankenstein move ubbloco wink
EDITED_BY: SamboFlux (1158101176)

My Mind is a Ship
Emotions become the Waves
Soul is the Ocean

If a quizz is quizzical, what is a test?

Tom_ShillSILVER Member
enthusiast
213 posts

Posted:
Samboflux has it about right I think. I wasn't suggesting that this move is an antispin bf weave, just that it's another confusing combination of antispin and crossing. Sambo's right that it isn't really a weave motion. When you do it your hands end up diagonal to eachother. I can't get a video up at the mo but I'll try to explain it better...

So...Do opposite direction circles in wheel plane, out of time, left hand backwards, right hand forwards.

Bring your hands forward slightly to a weave like level where you can cross and uncross comfortably.

As the left poi comes up, carry it across and over your right hand.

I think the problem is in this next bit...

With the first downbeat of the right handbring it out on the right hand side, so you're uncrossed.

With the second carry it across and under your left.

I think SamboFlux is right that it kind of alternates between beats of antispin and beats of normal weave. It's a bit hard to describe. If you guys come to Poi in the Park I'll show you. We can have a 'how not to do stuff right' workshop lol.

Will those capable of telekinesis please raise my hand?

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
This is an compound move rather than anti-spin.

There is difference between them.

SA anti-spin butterfly - Where hands are straight

(SA) and both hand and Poi spin opposite(butterfly)

in oppsite direction(anti-spin).

Compound buttefly - Where hands are together

and one hand spin, the other anti-spin(compound)

whilest moving in one big circle.

lightining,

:R

POI THEO(R)IST

fire puppyBRONZE Member
69 posts

Posted:
wow you guys make it sound so complicated

fire puppyBRONZE Member
69 posts

Posted:
check my pics to see what it looks like tell me what you think

sketchGOLD Member
Empirically random...
431 posts

Posted:
the problem is that pictures dont help with complex moves like this!
Dont get me wrong, i think this is a really sweet move, but i think its no more than a combination of moves. If everyone went round naming combinations we'd need a damn dictionary of poi!

"This dark place planet Earth, orbits one star,
Come from afar, far away state of mind,
open up your third eye, black helicopters in the sky"

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
i'm with sketch (and tom and sambo) on this one firepuppy:

your avatar is pure antispin so if that's a photo of your as bf 'weave', that's cool (and tight as hell).

but i still reckon its not a 'weave' - i reckon its a crossing version of a flower spun in front of you - the difference being, to call something a weave, your arms must perform the cross-follow motion.

an antispin bf flower has arms moving in opposite directions so even if you compress it down and add crossovers, it'll never be a weave since you can't weave with your arms going in opposite direction circles smile

can you do a 3 petal (3 beat) version?

secondly, the pictures in your gallery seem to have a few circles in them (as well as petals) which implies hands moving with the rotation of the poi i.e. normal spin motions rather than antispin...

where's rev when you need him, eh?

he'd clear this up in about two seconds simply by saying something none of us understands and then walking off laughing that it was all oh-so-obvious from the beginning wink

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
 Written by: SamboFlux

I'm with Cole on his definitions. Any connotation of a butterfly weave (assuming normal weave hand motions) always has one hand antispun.... ubbloco

but I recon most peaple just keep one poi stationary and weave the other around the arm in normal spin motions, thats how I do it anyhow, i can do th other, but its weird.

T wave

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

Page: