BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
Did a search but nothing came up...

anyone know if viscose is ok for spinning? It's really just modified cellulose so from the chemist point of view it should be okay, was just wondering if anyone knew for definite or had tried it?

You know, those clothes makers really could stop putting "keep away from fire" on EVERYTHING, and only leave it on stuff that'll actually melt! rolleyes

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Only one way to find out... Hold a flame to some for a couple seconds. If it gets set ablaze, dont wear it. If it melts, dont wear it.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
yeah, that's exactly what I DIDN'T want to do with my new pair of trousers ubblol hug will let you know the result though if noone else has already done it and tells me wink

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

kashGOLD Member
Dangerous cynic
166 posts

Posted:
I wouldn't say so.
As a poi spinner, I havn't tried it, but as a dressmaker I would say no. I have seen certain types of viscose (usually the finer crepe) shrivel up or even burn under a medium-hot iron. So even though it is a plant based synthetic, it still behaves like oil based synthetics (polyester etc) and could still melt into your skin.
I just checked my fabric reference and even heavyweight viscose shouldn't be ironed hotter than medium which suggests it doesn't go well with heat.

kashGOLD Member
Dangerous cynic
166 posts

Posted:
Oh it also occurred to me that viscose is also known as rayon, if that helps.

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Birgit

that's exactly what I DIDN'T want to do with my new pair of trousers

I think you just answered your own question... If you don't want to damage or soot-up your new trousers...don't spin fire with them...

biggrin biggrin

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
tongue well, you know, they're nice for spinning and no-spinning, so if they get damaged by soot etc it's not a problem, but if I just start melting them for the fun of it it's wasted money wink

thanks guys smile will keep them in the closet for now and spin in the good old cottons!

(G.W. Dahlquist)

ducky2108A little bit of a board whore
147 posts

Posted:
https://www.swicofil.com/viscose.html

This website has this to say about rayon viscose.

"because of it's excessive flammability, it inspired the flammable fabrics act.The FFA was enacted by the U.S.Department of Commerce in 1953 in reponse to public concern over a number of serious burn accidents invovling brushed rayon high pile sweaters (referred to as "torch sweaters") and children's cowboy chaps which could catch fire and flash burn."

Ancient wiseman say "It is very strange person, who, when left alone in room with teacosy, does not try it on"