Forums > Social Chat > The Top 10 thread #1: Films

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ...
Sambo_FluxGOLD Member
Introverted
833 posts

Posted:
This one is for all the geeky and anal people like me out there who love making completely meaningless lists of stuff they like. I reckon you can tell a lot about a persons personality from the type of stuff they like. I love being obsessive about details and getting really involved in in-depth discussions about minor details in movies (don't even get me started on lord of the rings) wink

The best part is, if we spot a post by someone with a similar list that has a film that we haven't seen, it's a fair bet we'll like it. But think carefully: there are a lot of films. Choose the ones that have affected you, influenced you or touched you the most over the years. And if it's a film no-one will ever have heard of, give a very brief outline!

Thread #2 will be albums, #3 will be sexual positions wink

So without further ado, here are my top 10 movies.

1. A Flight of Dragons (animation from 1982 feat. James Earl Jones. As a kid, I loved it as a magical adventure. As an adult, it's fascinating allegory on science vs. religion, and how ultimately they're two sides of the same coin)

2. Lord of the Rings trilogy. (Blinding soundtrack, amazing visuals, totally nailed Tolkiens world. Geek alert!)

3. Pi (Again, great soundtrack feat Aphex Twin etc, great cinematography, fantastic concept about patterns emerging in nature)

4. Evil Dead 2 (Bruce Campbell's best ever performance, so funny but so ingenious at the same time)

5. Shawshank redemption (One of the most uplifting films ever made. An inspiration, and one of the best demonstrations of why never to let go of hope I've ever seen)

6. Donnie Darko (As a mood piece this works like no other film I've ever seen. Brilliantly ambiguous, Jake Gylenhall is blinding as donnie)

7. Akira (Best anime ever. Full stop. Needs repeated viewings, but the denoument is mind-blowing if you understand what happened!)

8. Aliens (One of the great action movies. The Alien queen fight at the end is absolute cinema legend)

9. Hero (purely for the artistry that went into the cinematography and choreograhpy, especially the scene where the two heros are fighting over the lake. Easily the most beautiful film I've seen, and I loved the concept of even the bad guy is trying to do something good)

10. City of God (pure realism. One of the most authentic films I've seen in ages, and incredibly shocking and moving. Great film)

I may edit this list at some point when I think of movies I've missed that should have been there.

Feel free to rip the censored out of me for being sad. I'm just interested in what other people like, I might learn something....

EDITED_BY: SamboFlux (1152223720)

My Mind is a Ship
Emotions become the Waves
Soul is the Ocean

If a quizz is quizzical, what is a test?

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
I'd seen a lot of films like tiger and hero too, I follow a lot of stuff on monkeypeaches & the asian cinema forum, it's just the cinematography was particularly excellent, and the story, acting, and to a degree martial arts were all great too, most others I've seen have failed in at least one aspect, and very few had as good visuals.

House of Flying Daggers just didn't quite cut it for a modern example ('scuse the pun)

Blinded by Hyperlights, please donate generously grin

Sambo_FluxGOLD Member
Introverted
833 posts

Posted:
Yeah, I was really looking forward to House of Flying Daggers but it just didn't hold up, especially the overly melodramatic ending.

While we're on Asian cinema, has anyone seen Casshern? Thoughts?

My Mind is a Ship
Soul is the Ocean

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
casshern's daft.
I finally saw Vs last night too, also rather silly.

looking forward to seeing Princess Blade, Renaissance and Immortel (sic) soon.

Blinded by Hyperlights, please donate generously grin

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
what did people think of the fountain

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

Sambo_FluxGOLD Member
Introverted
833 posts

Posted:
That's one I really want to see! Although I've heard mixed reviews.... I'm with Faith, anyone seen it yet?

My Mind is a Ship
Soul is the Ocean

Transquidnewbie
4 posts

Posted:
O__O
People.. dissing.. Kill Bill...
Perhaps not Tarantino's best work ever, but come on.
I DON'T EVEN LIKE VIOLENT FILMS, and I adore Kill Bill.
Anyway.
Top 10 (not in order):
High Fidelity
American Beauty
Donnie Darko
I Heart Huckabees
The Royal Tenenbaums
Look Both Ways
Monty Python's Life of Brian
Fight Club
Spirited Away
Little Miss Sunshine
The Barbarian Invasion

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
no kill bill-both awful
i just want to see fountain cause i heard it is as odd as requiem for a dream
someone better have boondock saints on their top 10

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

dreamSILVER Member
currently mending
493 posts

Posted:
Natural Born Killers
Dr Strangelove
The Corporation
Nausicaa and the Valley of the Wind
I Heart Huckabees
Ichi The Killer
The Fourth World War
Clerks
Life of Brian
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

with The Devil's Rejects, Se7en, Eraserhead, Amorros Perros, Dogville, Dear Wendy, Pi, Princess Mononoke, Hotel Rwanda and Memento just missing out

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Nietzsche

Sambo_FluxGOLD Member
Introverted
833 posts

Posted:
Anyone seen "The Departed"? I watched it last night and was totally blown away.

My Mind is a Ship
Soul is the Ocean

The Tea FairySILVER Member
old hand
853 posts

Posted:
*bumpety-bump*

Looking foir inspiration....

Pan's Labrynthe is great, very dark but great.

Idolized by Aurinoko

Take me disappearing through the smoke rings of my mind....

Bob Dylan

Page: ...