Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > BBC SEEKS UK BASED FIRE POI PERFORMERS

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
BBCTVnewbie
2 posts

Posted:
The BBC is looking for fire poi performers and groups based in the south of England to take part in a world record breaking performance live on primetime BBC1.

If you and/ or your group are interesting in taking part and would be available on the 22nd July 2006 contact us for more details

Email: liz.collier@bbc.co.uk
Or call 020 8 752 6623

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Dude, go and read the link!

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Brit_Joe

this is a community of people who travel to all sorts of places for a day(s) out (PLAY, Conventions, Meets, Invasions) which all costs but you cant say its not worth it,

Due to stumbling across some less than mainstream adult websites, I know some people get off on being told what to do, but I'm not really one of them - if I go to an event I expect to be able to do what I feel like.
If, as I expect will happen at this BBC one, I get ordered around and told where and when to spin, then I'd be wanting to get paid - it'd be moving away from just having a laugh and a spin with some friends and towards a job.

Plus, there's all that stuff about undermining the people who are trying to make a living from performing - that's all in the link posted earlier, so I won't go into that again.

Having said that, I am interested in this event.
Not to spin, but I'm very curious as to how the BBC are getting around the people who don't like spinning or juggling in Trafalgar Square.
It'd be quite handy knowledge for the future - I'd like to spin in Trafalgar Square at some point, just not for this event.

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

house_of_millGOLD Member
old hand
896 posts

Posted:
Post deleted when stupidity levels became to high

*Thats one of my favourite Nurseries over there,*

Roman, Trippie Hippie,On the way back from Play Festival

Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
After a bit of digging, I've discovered that you can book Trafalgar Square for a filming, photographic shoot or promotional event at £453 per hour.

A few sets of people (such as the press) can use it for no charge, and it seems that a fair number of groups can use it heavily discounted.

Interestingly, demonstrations, rallies and marches also have no charge.

Maybe if I booked it as a Voting Rights for Monkeys march or something, we'd be allowed to spin and juggle there wink

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

NOnactivist for HoPper liberation.
1,643 posts

Posted:
i wonder what they had to pay to get nelson mandela launching make poverty history, which was in many ways a promotional event, at the same time as being a demonstration of sorts....?

we could also book is for a demonstatrion that people should be allowed to spin and juggle there biggrin

Aurinko freedom agreement reached 10th Sept 2006

if it makes no sense that's because it's NOn-sense.

muddnewbie
9 posts

Posted:
UmbiliciformCraterOnFace...Have you read the rest of this thread?

Or just read the first post then decided to reply to that?

na i didnt read any of it... cause ma pc tinggy keeps muckin up. dont give me attitude sarkybstd.

You seem to suggest that notoriety would be a good thing..... spanner!
EDITED_BY: mudd (1149962321)

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Now you have read it, I wont laugh wink

hug2
EDITED_BY: UmbiliciformCraterOnFace (1149963424)

AsenaGOLD Member
What a Bummer
3,224 posts

Posted:
ooooooooooo you've been told now Ucof. tongue

SOO, the general consesus is that some people will, so people wont. And i'm confused, are the BBC actually coming to PLAY?

duballstarSILVER Member
slack rating - 9.5
2,216 posts

Posted:
like ed said... insurance anyone? thousands of people in trafalgar square with hundreds of fire performers? i doubt the bbc's insrance covers the for anything like that at all. if i don't need insurance to peform for TV then why should i need it for any other gig? is it bcause they won't be paying anyboby? if they did pay somebody would they need to be insured? umm

It is our fantasies that make us real. Without our fantasies we're just a blank monkey' - Terry Pratchett

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
just read this thread back through, and though it was indeed a bit of a mistake expecting to be able to get quality fire performers for free, its a mistake many, many people make.

hopefully this thread will have a positive outcome, even if it only serves to show to future promoters/producers that expecting free performance is not cool, no matter who you are.

and i still love the bbc - we don't own a tv, yet yesterday i found out that we still get to watch every world cup game, live in broadband ubbrollsmile

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

sketchGOLD Member
Empirically random...
431 posts

Posted:
Just to get back to the topic.... I scanned the thread and couldnt see this mentioned:

They say they want 40+ fire dancers to do a choreographed routine AS PART of the record attemt for the most styles of dance performed during one piece of music..... fair enough.....

but, they say they want it for free.....

Has anyone asked them if the dancers from the other "styles" are going to get rewarded atall?
and whether they are willing to dance in close proximity to spinners?

Breakdancer ubbrollsmile + MonkeyFist weavesmiley = Tangletainment mad2

just a thought....

"This dark place planet Earth, orbits one star,
Come from afar, far away state of mind,
open up your third eye, black helicopters in the sky"

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
Actually, I found out that all these people were offerd professional rates but they turned them down because they just wanted to take part. wink

There's too many home fires burning and not enough trees

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
yeah but there's hardly any difference for them - 'professional rate' for irish dancers is currently set at 'one potato and a new set of jig shoe laces' wink

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
spank

Bah Mr Coleman...

Silly English types...

: deleted cos they weren't very funny rolleyes :
EDITED_BY: FurryPurple (1150297609)

Getting to the other side smile

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
tongue

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Meh.

Actually, that wasn't very inspired at all.

Ok, you can mock me... until I find something witty to respond with smile

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
ubblol tongue hug

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
This any better?

A wee man dancing inside a contact ball...

Non-Https Image Link

He looks like he's smiling and having fun... but actually he's saying 'please mister, all i need is a 'tatie and new laces for my dancin' shoes'

(Hold on a sec... wasn't I supposed to be mocking the English in retaliation?! Oh dear god. I knew I shouldn't have got up this morning. Shall leave this thread alone now)
EDITED_BY: FurryPurple (1150297989)

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
I think someone didn't have enough potato for breakfast... wink

GeoffonTour04SILVER Member
enthusiast
360 posts

Posted:
I'll do it if they'll pay travel expenses. I'm not a professional (yet), and I don't agree with the expectation that it shouldbe free, but I haven't done anything like this yet, could be fun.
And to be honest nobody who watches it is going to know we're not getting paid, and it may raise the profile of firespinning enough to encourage promoters & actually increase the number of paid gigs available.

And, there's be loads of hot dancing girls there hehe

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
I'm not sure if they are still going to do it any more - but I will leave them to say something. All I'm saying is don't buy your train ticket yet wink

simtaBRONZE Member
compfuzzled
1,182 posts

Posted:
do ya think they might have got scared after the reaction they got after posting here

i saw a similar thing happen on a hiphop forum when someone from the bbc posted something about wanting people for a docu or something like that

"the geeks have got you" - Gayle

Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Sym

Actually, I found out that all these people were offerd professional rates but they turned them down because they just wanted to take part. wink

It's one thing to be offered payment and then turn it down and quite another not to be offered anything by the organisers to start with.

Even if the other dancers aren't being paid, I wasn't aware that dancing in public required pricey insurance, and they don't need paraffin to dance.
Actually, I find the BBC not offering to even cover expenses mildy insulting.

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
I doubt it - they could still get 40 people to do it for free, just not some of the people on hop. This thread wouldn't have put me off, if I were doing it. smile

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
Bov, I don't actually know anything about it at all - I was just making it up, showing that world records are not often paid things. I don't see why they would pay for something like that.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Sym

I don't see why they would pay for something like that.

to take part in a mass dance record attempt, you simply need to turn up at the right time and dance.

to take part in that same record attempt as a fire performer, you would need as a minimum: expensive pli, safety equipment, fuel, safety checked equipment and fire-specific risk assessments.

i think that this extra basic outlay of money, time and effort should at least be acknowledged.

if you're going to be there anyway and all of the above issues are taken care of by the organisors of the record attempt, i would not be so critical.

but in an attempt to explain my opinion a little better, one of the most important factors to me is that they did not just ask for random spinners to come along and help to break a record - they specifically asked for *performers* to come along and provide their services for *free*.

unless it is for a chariatble cause i don't believe that any respectable performer, in any of the performing arts, would consider doing that.

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
I think in this case the word performer was used just because they thought that that was the word used, rather than them actually wanting people who have shows or make money from it - I could be wrong though.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
i guess the only way we'll find out is if they come back to follow up.

i doubt they will bother smile

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
For once, I'm agreeing with that loveable tyke, Brit_Joe! eek ubblol

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Jo, kiss, d'ja read the link? ubbrollsmile

Page: