dkoutzoglouSILVER Member
3 posts

Posted:
OK I'll try to explain this as simple as I can with my poor english.
Has anyone thought what it would be like if at anytime(while spinning) knew and understood the exact position and orientation of his poi?I mean the angle,the speed(compared with the other one) etc...
I'd liked to ask if anyone has tried or manage to spin the poi's with diferrent speeds,with a specific timing continuously.Let's say that the left poi does 2 circles in 1 time(1T) and the right does 1 circle in 1T.This could be called 2/1(T) and there are many combinations on this.Imagine a 5/1(T).wouldn't that seemed as a clock running?

PSYTEKNOLOGYSILVER Member
12 posts

Posted:
Interesting thought. Personally I/'m not a mathematical person and the thought of equations just makes my head hurt, so I'm not about to try! haha

Timming is all relative too, ever spin poi infront of a strobe light ? Now that is an interesting effect!

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
Basu gasu bakuhatsu - because sometimes buses explode
1,584 posts

Posted:
see sphericulism's poibot smile

To do: More Firedrums 08 video?

Wildfire/US East coast fire footage

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
 Written by: dkoytzogloy

Imagine a 5/1(T).wouldn't that seemed as a clock running?

Funny you should mention that, I briefly played with swinging longarm circles with my clubs in 12/1 time a while back. Fun for a while, but your arms start aching very quickly smile

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

GeoffonTour04SILVER Member
enthusiast
360 posts

Posted:
I've been wanting to work on this but it's a very very difficult thing to get perfect. I'll setup two metronomes & see if I can follow both at once, I've seen drummers do it so it can't be that hard smile

Would probably be easiest with 2 times that had a close common multiple (ie 3 on the right = 4 on the left, meets up every 4x you spin the right 3 times, or every 3x you spin the left 4 times)

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
heave a search for 'turn the time' smile

T wave

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

Sporkyaddict
663 posts

Posted:
Here's an idea that I think uses that timing thingy. Using butterfly, put one of your hands BTH (if using forward) or BTB (if reverse) and with the other hand spin a flower or antispin flower in front wall plane. If you shorten the poi in front then you can get three and four point flowers in the time it takes to one circle behind. It also looks good if you switch your hands round mid flower or add wibbles or other contacty madness in (but then anything does wink )

Have fun biggrin

Have faith in what you can do and respect for what you can't

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
It's called polyrhythmic spinning if you believe coleman wink

"Moo," said the happy cow.

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
much harder with clubs smile

T wave

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
i've been spinning this sort of stuff for a good while now (thanks to prof pk and dr ew) and i ran a few workshops on it last year.

but its still far from where i'd like it to be.

the only timings that make much sense (other than in patterns with one big circle, one small circle or in flowers) are 2:1 and 3:2 - anything more complex and it just starts looking messy imho.

i extended this idea and looked at ways of creating symmetrical patterns by speeding up and slowing down a poi over the space of a beat or less to attain combinations of polyrhythmic patterns.

i'm currently working on turning with some of these patterns (there's *lots* of added elements to this stuff when you start spinning round too).

i could go on, but i won't.

i'll probably be at play festival doing another workshop on it later this year if anyone wants to share in person.

for now though, here's a link to a post by andy house - a guarantee for good poi discussion, every time smile

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

LarrySILVER Member
Electro Ponce!
383 posts

Posted:
i was using poi to demonstrate ideas about Angular Momentum, Central Potentials and alike at a Maths lecture a while ago. (but really i was just showing off)
but newtonian mechanics is insanely impractical!

What're you looking at?
I assume you're being rhetorical?
What're you callin' me!?

JauntyJamesSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,533 posts

Posted:
It's physically impossible to know both their position and velocity. Don't you know about Heisenburg's Uncertainty Principal?

Oh, man, now I want to go spin poi using electrons.

[/silly]

-James

"How do you know if you're happy or sad without a mask? Or angry? Or ready for dessert?"

LarrySILVER Member
Electro Ponce!
383 posts

Posted:
simple physics can tell you position and velocity. if you can model the spinning in some way.
simply find the derivative of the position vector!

What're you looking at?
What're you callin' me!?

LarrySILVER Member
Electro Ponce!
383 posts

Posted:
i plan to have some mathematical model for this in a little over a week

What're you looking at?
What're you callin' me!?

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Hey dkoytzogloy smile welcome to HoP

This is a very interesting question, that I wouldn't answer with "impossible".... when spinning in different speeds, one can adjust the performance to the beat of the music and play around with the audio-visual imprint left with the audience....

Thanks for bringing this uP... I'll see what happening next time spinning - unfortunately it's 2 below and too fresh for spinning... frown

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

TinklePantsGOLD Member
Clique Infiltrator, Cunning Linguist and Master Debator
4,219 posts

Posted:
I hate technical discussions wink

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

LarrySILVER Member
Electro Ponce!
383 posts

Posted:
my Particles and Motion revision is now being based largely on modelling various poi moves.
the flowers one looks interesting!

What're you looking at?
What're you callin' me!?