Forums > Videos > teaser for the teaser

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
well i went ahead and did it. i'm pretty happy with the first round, but there were lots of technical details to overcome... IOW there's more shoots to come.

currently in the compression phase. all who've offered to host vids for me, please get ready!!

stay tuned for a vid within the week.

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

glittertillMember
26 posts

Posted:
Thanks to the anonymous pm-poster...
and even more thanks to Arashi for sharing the pm so openly!! - i fully agree with the pm and i'm glad about your response...

... after i heard so much about your spinning and sexyness i was just plainly and simply disappointed...

what is really amazing for me, is, that the other posters are so mesmerised by the vid..?
about the shimmying tummy... why is that such an attraction? First time you see a guy showing hip-bones and navel??

Arashi, I'm looking foward to the real vid, i'm sure you'll show us better spinning and free moving, i bet you'll be more focused on the audience/camera and more expressive and if you're able to organise much much more space, then you might even want to try the sabre once more.. and hopefully you're also showing us a glimpse of sexyness..!
- so stop reading threads and go for the real vid, we are waiting to be impressed, amazed and mesmerized by you..

LoveSunFire, Till

alphalightGOLD Member
103 posts

Posted:
(alphalight and goldorox talking)

we were not mesmerized we are open for new things !

what we can feel in the reaction of some people here ( and also in foreign forums) is ego ,no respect, ignorance, jealousy, dual thinking, closed minds, ..... boring human attitudes which clouded their judgement of a human being offering a honest image of him to other human beings. peace

the fact is there is a video online which opens the door to what is possible in poi. no one said that it will be the perfect one, anyway what is perfect ?

* u really should stop thinking so rational and in duality begin to feel and open ur eyes * (zen)

i saw arashi playing at the ejc for hours under a blue tent full of stars and what i saw was several different styles of playing dancing with a virtuosity that i have hardly seen elsewhere ..

btw, we prefer watching a dancer with poi than a stick man with poi wink

that´s our opinion we don´t say it's the truth it´s what we feel at the moment

arashi, give us more! u have so much to give merci

ap meditate doro* meditate

peace and light

BansheeCatBRONZE Member
veteran
1,247 posts

Posted:
Hmn, all kidding about sexiness aside, I can assure you I was not blinded by the mans tummy.

I really thought it was one of the most fresh videos, fun original flowing and interesting that I have seen. I was getting so bored with seeing videos of just circles, and hardly being able to see someones body, no movement through the torso, and no mixing of planes,and no interpretation or character in the movement... Sigh. Lots of skill out there,not so much dancing vids. Or theatre/art... Is there a term for what I mean? I don't know... Good performance might be it...

This has the potential to break that pattern of them all looking the same, so I got excited! I was aware that it was a draft, and did not have any particular expectations.

A few point of discussion around the critques:

1- Personally, I am not all that interested in technically competant spinning unless it is done with dancing. Some people dont dance because they worry it will f- up their tricks. I would rather less tricks,more movement,in a vid at least. Preferably both ( so bring it on, arashi!) And I knew it was a draft.

And I think expecations of jedi spinning are ridiculous, people should do whatever they want. Some might just be diappointed because Arashi writes so clearly his understanding of highly complex poi theory, and they wanted and expected to see it in movement. An adjustment in expectations may be needed, rather than one in the video. **Unless Arashi really wants to show a technical drill- I am sure lots would enjoy that too.

2-I did not think Arashi looked scared of the camera. In fact I thought his gaze and consciousness of head positionning often made strong visual impact. Most spinners I have seen do not engage with the camera at all, so it was for me a refreshing change. It is actually quite difficult to use head postures, and hand postures, while spinning. Impressive. That, more than shimmying, shows me skill at belly dance. Overall, there was alot of character to the movement and the filming style, mysterious, funny, quirky, contemporary, alternative- lots of genre crossing. If that comes across in a practice, he has nothing to worry about in the real thing.

3)- you say there is not flow, cause there are some bits that are flailing, or jerky. Flailing and jerky can be part of a pieces flow. Obviously people are using the term flow in different ways. Perhaps the critic refers to the flow of a trick, or the smooth circle the poi makes. Something that breaks flow for me would have taken me out of the expereince of the video, and into a consciousness of " oh, that is a trick, or that is a f-ed up trick, whatever." Nothing really did (for me) The movement was engaging throughout, and used his whole body. Any definition that restricts the concept of flow to perfect circles is as narrow as the space he was working in...

-oh, I could go on, but this is getting boring

Simply put, I think the person writing likes everything in movement- and video- " clean" whereas I, and some others, like everything to be just a little Dirty. biggrin More real.

Get messy people!devil Dance Badly! ( where is Drew when ya need him?! wink

Sometimes in their efforts to be clean people flush all the character down the drain. I enjoy works in progress even more than finished product, it is a privlege to see things before wiped .

The video had style, and was a fabulous teaser.

Thanks!

hug

"God *was* my co-pilot, but then we crashed, and I had to eat him..."

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
I'm left in awe.

props to arashi for posting that..

I'm confused however.

Written by: ap

what we can feel in the reaction of some people here ( and also in foreign forums) is ego ,no respect, ignorance, jealousy, dual thinking, closed minds, ..... boring human attitudes which clouded their judgement of a human being offering a honest image of him to other human beings

I think that some of the comments, like icons, the pm, glitter, don't represent closemindedness. I think closemindedness would have emerged from arashi not taking the criticisms levied well, or by those criticizing to have posted mockingly, or disrespectfully.

Poi is art is it not? I have to say that as nice as many people think the mona lisa is, I find it to be one of my least favorite paintings. Does that make me closeminded, or does that mean I have an opinion? One formed by my thoughts on the matter, and not blanket acceptance of what others claim to be good.

I think we can read a lot into all of these comments and try to make mroe of things than what they are. Did arashi not preface, before the video ever posted, that the spinning was crap? So does that not put Arashi in the same boat as those that you claim to be closemined. They didnt like the spinning, neither did he. How one and not the other?

I think plenty can be said about this vid. I think it explored a lot of things. It was indeed, to say the least, a brave venture into what videos could be. And, for that, it deserves it share of praise. Many people liked the costumes. Many people liked the visuals effects, which were, I think, well timed.

However, not everyone dug the spinning. I think we should remain 'openminded' enough to let them have their opinions. It is through our differences that we come to understand everything, whether it be ourselves or others.

More useless information courtesy of Rev...
Confusing the masses, one post at a time...
"Obviously, you're not a golfer.."- The Dude
"Buy the ticket... Take the ride..." -Raoul Duke
"FEMA has never done catastrophe planning..."-Michael Brown

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
Written by: andrealee

1- Personally, I am not all that interested in technically competant spinning unless it is done with dancing. Some people dont dance because they worry it will f- up their tricks. I would rather less tricks,more movement,in a vid at least. Preferably both ( so bring it on, arashi!) And I knew it was a draft.

this is an excellent point andea. One of the points I made in a post before the vid was ever posted, was that I prefer to see advanced spinners, spin basic moves. I always learn something from the way they transitions, since for me its te transitions that tell you everything about a spinner, not the moves, nor the speed.

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
thanks andrea i totally agree with what you say.

i'm so glad things went like this, i'm sure all the crap that people can think is coming out. you should see some things that people are pm'ing me. it's like high school all over again. pretty sad actually wink

i'm secure enough in my spinning to not give a [censored]. i think what's meant by closeminded, is that for everything in the world, your reaction you have to things is what can clue you into the self. some people jump on me and get huffy puffy, that's fine. some people get jealous cause people liked it regardless of the crap spinning, that's fine. and people always justify their egos to themselves, that's what an ego IS after all.

seems obvious to me the spinning is restricted and the things that were pointed out in the pm were OBVIOUS and the way they were presented to me seems to be coming from ego. i think the way people react to life says a lot about their egos, personally i know tech is my strong point so i don't care what people think about the spinning. what is crap spinning? something that doesn't live up to your expectations? well guess what i'm a very technical spinner, and regularly leave people with jaws dropped without moving a thing but my arms. but life is bigger than whether or not i can do a "move" that will impress you. there's a lot of cool [censored] in there, enough to make it worth posting i feel. in fact in light of all this i'm not doing any tech spinning in the vid just to piss off the people who are so wrapped up in how tech they are compared to me cool cause you need to GET OVER IT ALREADY wink

-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
IOW to someone who isn't hiding themselves behind their tech spinning, the vid is cool, to someone wrapped up in tech the vid is crap.

of course you could jump on it it's low quality overall. and honestly i think the people who jump on that and don't see just a simple vid (which is all iti s) wouldn't like me in person either, i'm not a showoff, i don't use my spinning to win friends or sex, and i don't care to impress immature people. but the way the pm was presented to me i think is very immature and i can't be bothered much more bounce

j/k you guys, i'll put tech in the vid.

but i'm not doing it for the pm'er, he can kiss my ass as per rev's earlier advice wink
EDITED_BY: arashi (1142115469)

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Written by: arashi

i don't use my spinning to win friends or sex,

good cos it wasn't working... wink hug

I loved the acerbic-ness of that pm guy, man, I'm inspired by his/her level of uncontrolled bitterness. I've got to go practise more....

I thought his video was very Arashi... and it made me smile.

And just in case you think I'm going soft:

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
acerbic: [adj] harsh or corrosive in tone; "an acerbic tone piercing otherwise flowery prose"

great word! i forgot about that one ubblol
"blowing acerbic flowers up my ass" ubblol

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
I'd just like to make a general observation (probably belongs in Social Discussion, but what the hey):

I respect people who try to put watchable videos out: It shows that they've been considerate enough to think about the people who are going to watch them. A lot of my favorite videos have a lot of effort put into their composition. I mean, how often do people actually bother to use effects, dress up and make the time to record a video? Even in the COL series this is often an issue (although its getting better...)

If it was really so easy to do that, we'd have loads of videos online, which would (hopefully) be pretty watchable. A lot of the time it's just joe bloggs in his back garden (I'm not knocking these particular vids, just commenting on them in general)

But when someone makes a well produced video to be put online, (i.e this particular vid), you have to think about all the time and effort they've put into that, that they could've spent doing something else.

I think this video deserves huge props, mainly for the amount of effort put into it, never mind the spinning.

Respec' wink

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
thanks rolleyes

rodoSILVER Member
4 posts

Posted:
Arashi,
thanks for the inspiring vid. I'm not interested in details of the vid like technical perfection of this or that sequence. What I see is enough to understand that people like me can learn a lot from watching you play. I am looking forward to see further vids and to meet you sometime.
keep on rockin' weavesmiley
rodo

it's all about love

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
wow thanks you guys, i gotta say it helps after all the crazy disgusting insults people are sending me. starting to feel really disillusioned by all of this... but i guess it's just human nature for some people to be hatin'.

now i remember why i wanted to be a monk. rolleyes

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
p.s. anyone of my "supposed friends" who've posted praise on here who are talking to rthe pm'er (i'm sure you konw who it is) about me behind my back and giving him more ammunition to launch disgusting insults at me please pm me with explanations. at this point i'm getting way sick of all this and have had to question people's sincerity.

lesson: don't try to have fun with poi online unless you are prepared to deal with everyone's vicious competitiveness.

good thing life is too short to worry too much about pleasing everyone rolleyes
EDITED_BY: arashi (1142125413)

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
dude I'm not attacking man.. that's all I'm going to say.. this is bs.. I'm going to ask you to please stop making drama about this..

NaganootchAKA CLERIC
172 posts

Posted:
Well i was disapointed by the vid.

Pros

-costume

-lighting

-editing

Cons

-spinning was sloppy. I see what people say is atomic spinning. And what i see doesn't excite me about it at all. You got caught up with the socks on what appear to be things that should be easily done by you. You are a professional performer from what i read and i would have assumed you would know how to use multiple forms of the same tool. Weight and such should be easy for you to adjust 2.

Apparently i'm wrong

I hope that in a future vid i can see some of this "tech" that was missing from this vid. Whatever I expected huge amounts of tech that would be woven smoothly into great patterns and flow from one of the "masters" and then i saw the video... i almost felt like i was being insulted.

Also has anyone ever mentioned you look like xandar from "drawn together"

(just plain insulting picture removed by Pyrolific)
EDITED_BY: Pyrolific (1142232949)

We are defined by the choices we make

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
"Well i was disapointed by the vid."

that doesn't bother me! i was too. well most of it, but there's some things i'm happy with. did you read the title or what?

but insulted? geez, why? man, people are beyond me sometimes... that's where some of the problems i'm getting are coming from maybe? people want this perfect thing? cause there's a lot of people reacting negatively and insulting to this all over the place, i don't get it, it seems like people immediately place this into some sort of context i don't get yet.

of course i've heard that joke before, i knew the second that show came out that the costume was a magnet for it. plus what do you think i'd expect as a male belly dancer?

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
anybody else wanna take a shot?!?! ubbloco

don't you know i'm loco?!?! wink biggrin
EDITED_BY: arashi (1142123539)

BansheeCatBRONZE Member
veteran
1,247 posts

Posted:
good art is always contraversial ;-)

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
Written by: arashi

don't you know i'm loco?!?! wink biggrin

So am I bro.. glad we finally reached an understanding.. even if it took what 15 pms.. lol.. I owe you a drink if we ever meet.. beerchug though we could have used it earlier..

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
i suppose any publicity is good publicity. shrug
at least that's what paris told me lol
sounded like... "mamy pubifity ib goob pubifity"

BansheeCatBRONZE Member
veteran
1,247 posts

Posted:
Unbekümmerte Künstlernatur

In seinen Kreisen

wird es gerne angesehen

wenn man tut

was nicht gerne gesehen wird

Er tut daher von dem

was nicht gerne gesehen wird

nur das was gerne gesehen wird

in seinen Kreisen

by Eric Freid

dawn2duskBRONZE Member
34 posts

Posted:
O_O I was very stupified (I dunno if this is the word, I think so, if it' s not... well, this video made my eyes roll @__@)... A friend of mine told me he saw you (Arashi) at the European Juggling Convention and told me about a new plane theory you were working on. I dunno if you used it in this video, it seems to me so, but I dunno anything about this teory (I' m a newbie in this forum redface and in the world of poi at all, compared to you)... I saw very strange things done with atoms that I hadn' t seen anywhere and that was... was... O_O !!!
(I really LOVE your belly-dancing, I wish I was able too!!! *_* It' s fantastic with poi swingin'!!! You have my total respect cool )

The only negative observation: those passages with the light-sword were very attractive, but I think they broke the attention on your poi-swingin'... this is my opinion...

I' m really stupified and I think I have to watch this video again and again to make order in my ideas biggrin

***Feelings are anarchist - I feel - I am an anarchist***

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
I've got to say that I too was a little disappointed when I first watched what amounts to the most anticipated video of my life, but it took 5 or 6 more viewings to figure out why.

I liked the first half more,, before the sfx made their appearance. That's just me though, I've never been a fan of fancy editing, I like my videos straight up.

Looking forward to the to the full one. smile

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
Written by:

the most anticipated video of my life

well here we are, this is what clued it in for me. i think people have either heard about my spinning or have imagined my spinning from my posts and have a lot of anticipation built up around it. sorry but i didn't really consider this, call it naivete or how about humility wink

i shouldn't have released this vid that was (to me) plainly just a test shoot that wasn't worthy of the expectations built up around so called "Arashi" or whatever you may think i am. this has been a lesson for me in PR for sure, (i almost feel like glitter girl must have after that interview she did. )

For that I am sorry. For all the people who've spread the word about me as an artist only to have their friends disappointed by it, i am doubly sorry. I won't release anything to the public anymore unless it is what i consider TOP quality, i underestimated the anticipation. Sorry if that puts a bit of a delay on the affair but given pics like what my new best friend naganootch mad so kindly posted here perhaps you'll understand. I'm doing a shoot in a few hours and we'll see what happens, but honestly i haven't been dancing or spinning hardly at all in 3 months and i have reservations about whether i'll get some of my best spinning on tape tonight shrug if i don't feel it's up to par maybe i'll just post some atomics or whatever. my poi are more uv reactive now so now there's enough weight to isolate them up a bit. though i must admit after all this i really am on a crusade against tech spinners and the ego involved. funny that so many accuse me of elitism still!!

anyways wish me luck and sorry stout! but there will be effects rolleyes

BansheeCatBRONZE Member
veteran
1,247 posts

Posted:
I am seriously noticing a relationship between peoples expectations and their responses. Maybe a everyone should take a look at that, how we build up illusions with our expectations and then like to watch them fall... Someone refered to poi gods( maybe in another thread?PM? ) Strange thought. We create our own gods. Responsibility= ability to respond. So thinking about our responses, we have to look at ourselves to understand them, not to what someone else does or does do. If you chose to be disappointed, that is your choice and response- ability.

That said--Arashi, I will be disappointed if you don't give us more! Please dont cave to those that have desire for an imaginary perfection.

Do it cause it is fun, beautiful, and we enjoy it!

alphalightGOLD Member
103 posts

Posted:
goldolight sends u atomic-love-energy-circles from mannheim grouphug

peace and light

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
now i will exceed, i'm goldolight powered!!!!!!
bounce

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
Basu gasu bakuhatsu - because sometimes buses explode
1,584 posts

Posted:
poi is serious business, obviously.

umm

I don't even know why people care. Not about poi, but about what they expect out of videos. If you didn't like it, don't watch it next time. Leave some constructive critisism (I didn't like this, this is what you can improve) I'm surely glad I don't care/try so hard in my videos, because everyone will expect topnotch spinning in every video afterwards. That would suck.

But poi is supposed to be fun, and if you can film a spin with a smile on your face at the end of a rough day, then I'd say that video is a success. I'd find it inspirational.

then again as I've said before, b1tching about people b1tching makes me a b1tch too wink

So I'll go shut up and practice. hug to everyone

To do: More Firedrums 08 video?

Wildfire/US East coast fire footage

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
from page 1, though I think it applies..
Written by: Rev

I think a lot of people won't see what they expect to see, and so I think expectations wont be met.. and I don't think its any fault of arashi's.. I know that a lot of people hold expectations of people because of all the tech talk that goes around.. and so people are going to expect nothing but atom weaves, and inversions, and insides, cat-eye weaves, monster tangles, flips, rolls, kung- fu, rope dart, action, suspense, drama, sex, etc.. and most vids don't have all that.. even from the people that can do them.. because we all spin more than that.. think of it like the expectaiton that everyone had about this infamous anti-spin weave.. yet almost everyone that's learned it or gets shown it says something like 'that's it..' I think expectations of tech stuff always carry this mystique about them that makes them sound more impressive than they are.. similarly I think people put expectations on some spinners to spin stuff thats unbelievably hard all the time.. as if them spinning a two beat weave would be uncouth..

I don't think its bad PR, man.. I think it misunderstanding.. it's like Andrea said.. we make our gods.. I guess a consequence is that we in turn tear them down.. I think the ultimate point resides in whether or not we can accept reality when it bares down on us.. Think of it like a person who lives in denial.. They know reality, they refuse to accept it..

I think if anything its good PR man.. people know your real.. maybe that upsets them.. but think about all the expectations you put on others (friends, family, what have you) and how you feel when they don't live up to it.. like Andrea said, its not their responsibility.. they are who they are, not who you want them to be..

take it from someone who spends most of his life being misunderstood.. don't change yourself to appease them.. because it just further facilitates their misunderstandings, and keeps them from knowing who you are.. Jsut because some people don't understand doesnt mean they never will..

Think of it like this.. you now understand something of them.. and they understand something of you.. wasn't that the point?

peace..

Page: