Forums > Social Discussion > Baby Ravers - or: Minimal age for festivals/ parties req.?

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
O.K. - Hoorray! Hoorray! The youngest raver has been spotted 3 days ago on a Rave: 6 month!

COOOOOOL

Today in Nine-Bar/ Anjuna/ Goa (India), we had "the old ones" of age 6 and age 8!

Yeah guys, now I'm waiting for comments like: [cynism] "Tom, you're seen in all the worse places in the world - why are you amazed? Get out of there and turn to the sunny side of life - look for the "real" India..." [/cynism] wink Hey I really don't mean it like that hug

But please just spread the word: If you haven't been able to find a baby sitter - at least bother to get earplugs for your little ones and consider to blindfold them, as at 9am, after 8 hours solid dancing and intake of psychodelic drugs, the view of those "zombies" isn't what I'd consider "a great example"...

[cynism]But maybe that's the fairytale of the **"Michel Jacksons "Thriller"-Theme comes up*** and I should not take away the magick for those little ones... [/cynism] wink

Ah! And anyways, Tom - there's a theory that children actually choose their parent, so it serves those little buggers right!

wink smile smile

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

Str8JakitDealing in Perception & Probability
135 posts

Posted:
lmao we have the same problem in the club scene here. i see it more and more each time i go to the clubs, one parent in the club, the other outside. then they switch about half way through the night. or, my personal fav, the drunk pregnant woman in the club.

but i'll have to admit i have never seen a child under 16 at any of the raves i went to.....but still

Legal and illegal are a point of view. All that matters is morality.

If there's a shadow in your life, then there is also sunshine. Perception is everything.

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
well the first example (baby-sharing) in front of the club-door is kind-a-soso... except if this happens at -10celsius

but the drunk pregnant mum on the party takes the record of the youngest baby raver spotted - EVER!

clap

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

135 posts

Posted:
lol next time i go the club, i'll take a pic and post it......trust there's at least one every night...

If there's a shadow in your life, then there is also sunshine. Perception is everything.

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
I have a problem with pregnant drunks...unbelievable damage caused that hardly deserves a clap.

Babies/children at festies that are well looked after, fine, but not pregnant drunks or drug users ubbcrying

Let's relight this forum ubblove

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
Nye i was at a local rave and spotted the youngest raver i ever saw......... 4months old

i had a chat with the mother while the lucky baby was getting (breast)fed.

i asked wasn't she worried about her and the babys sayety , just out of interest.

" No not really, if i got attacked or my kid was hurt the people responsible wouldn't walk out of here"

" it's like a big family once you get to know people, thats why i come to raves and not clubs"

well....................i couldn't put it better myself

nearly_all_goneSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
Written by: ravehead

" No not really, if i got attacked or my kid was hurt the people responsible wouldn't walk out of here"

Seeing someone get the censored kicked out of them isn't exactly compensation for having put your kid in a situation where they've been attacked, though, is it?

I certainly wouldn't want my kids to hang around with me and my mates when we were smoking or whatever... that's just totally irresponsible, regardless of whether or not I'd mind them growing up smoking. As a parent, you've got to be rational and dependable for your kids, and I doubt most people at a rave would be that.

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

7,193 posts

Posted:
ever been to one?

all the partys i've been to people look out for one another no matter what state they are in, no one gets left sleeping in their own vomit andwhat i didn't mention about this mother was she lived right around the corner and came to see what all the fuss was about.

so please dont be so quick to judge

Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
Yep, been to many. The fact is I don't think "whatever state they're in" is good enough for people who are bringing up children. I don't think you should be off your face around your kids, and just because you can't get a babysitter that's not a good enough reason to go get censored in front of your kids. It's only a rave. One bad experience could mess up a kid for life.

so please dont be so quick to judge

You say, knowing nothing about me and assuming I don't go to raves
EDITED_BY: nearly_all_gone (1137530904)

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

7,193 posts

Posted:
sorry, your still assuming this woman was off her head, while i was there no she wasn't and i had a good chat with her.

Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
That's fine. As I said, in my experience the majority of people at raves aren't, and this isn't the only person who's brought her kid to a rave. I doubt you could seriously suggest that people don't get [censored] in front of their kids sometimes, because I've seen it a few times myself.

My point wasn't specific to this one woman, but to the general attitude that it's worth putting your kids in a situation where loads of people are off their face, music's loud and where they're up well past normal times for kids just so you can have a good night. That seems fundamentally irresponsible to your kids, to me, and I think it's pretty [censored] low.

Thoreau

135 posts

Posted:
Ya know rave, i have to agree with gone. and you know how i feel about the rave scene, but it's no place for anyone under like 16-18. i understand were this woman was coming from, but she should not have had her 4 month old at a house party/rave. i have a 6 year old daughter bro, and there is no way in hell she owuld ever have gone to a show/house party with me. hell i gave up partying for her. that's what you do when become a parent......

Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
Written by: Str8Jakit

i gave up partying for her. that's what you do when become a parent......

Couldn't have put it better myself

Thoreau

135 posts

Posted:
redface thanks. don't get me wrong, i'm not a perfect parent by any means. i still smoke "special cigs" but not untill hours after she's in bed. and it's locked up in my safe....but as for going out and doing it in public, or doing anything harder than the green, it's not worth it. i mean if i get busted picking up a bag for myself, i'll get probation, and have to pee in a cup for a few months. now if i get busted with some of the other sruff i used to do....i'd lose my daughter, and it's not worth it.

people that take their kids, and i mean KIDS to raves, or house parties are not responsible. they may think they are, but if the cops bust up the party, even if you're sober, the kids gone. it's like saying "yes i'm a parent, but this party is more important than my kid" but that's just me......the rave scene is NOT A BAD SCENE. but it's still no place fo kids

Nephtysresident fridge magnet
835 posts

Posted:
I'd firstly be worried about damage to the kids ears (this bothers me about people bringing dogs as well, they have such sensitive hearing it must be torture!!). The music is so loud you KNOW it's causing damage even if you're nowhere near the sound system.

Secondly, depending on how enclosed the place is, I'd also worry about secondary smoke: once wouldn't be so much of an issue, but if you're bringing your kids I imagine you spend every weekend at raves.

Thirdly, though I'm sure there are parents who are responsible and stay sober, as str8jakit said there are probably also plenty who don't. I know the atmosphere there is very friendly, but practically everyone is off their t*ts: if something were to go wrong with the kid, say it started choking or something, you just have to hope that someone is together enough to know what to do, and that the rave is not too remote for an ambulance to get there on time.

That 3rd one also counts for the ravers of course, but grown ups choose to be there, a baby has no choice.

Nope, i don't think young children should be at raves.

everyone's unique except me

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
I did have a rather scary experience up at Woodford Folk Festival last year.

Woodford has a very family friendly atmosphere, including having a huge fenced off kids town, where people look after the children and lead them in activities. However it is also a huge festival.

I was watching a fire/juggling performance in the main part of the festival. A woman came up with a young girl, sat her down on a chair in the crowd, told her she would be back in five minutes, then left her. The girl really wasn't old enough to be left on her own, and was very scared without her mum. She wasn't really interested in watching the performance.

After about 10 minutes, the girl just bolted off into the crowd looking for her mum. I followed to try and catch her. Fortunately another woman in the crowd had found her, and the poor little thing was in a stranger's arms bawling her eyes out. I explained to that woman that I didn't know the girl (her mum hadn't even asked people in the crowd to keep an eye on her), and explained what had happened. She was happy to keep an eye on her for a bit, whilst I went back and watched the show and kept an eye out for the girl's mum.

After about half an hour, the other woman obviously needed to be somewhere, so she brought the little girl back and sat her down again. After another painful 10 minutes, off the little girl went, running through the crowd to find her mum. This time she went so fast I couldn't follow her. I couldn't see her anywhere although I looked.

I am assuming that her mum did find her, but to be honest I never saw them. She was left alone for at least 40 minutes, relying on complete strangers who didn't even know her name and hadn't even been asked to look out for her.

mad

A fireperformance is not a child minding service. It is not like leaving your kids in front of the TV at home for half an hour whilst you peg out the washing. A festival is not a safe place to leave kids on their own.

I have seen a lot of careful parents at festivals and doofs. People who create a safe little place to take their kids back to when bed time rolls around (or take them home). People who put ear muffs and ear plugs on their kids to block out the loud music. People who don't leave their kids to play alone. I have seen a lot of very happy kids at festivals and doofs, usually at 7am playing in the sunshine. There are ways of being responsible with your kids at these types of events. I hate witnessing when people aren't responsible.

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

7,193 posts

Posted:
ok i hear your points and i have no idea why i am standing up for someone i don't know, i WILL take my daughter to fests/meet/rave and house partys when she is old enough to understand whats going on, she will do it any way given time

jc_firetricksBRONZE Member
enthusiast
205 posts

Posted:
Written by: Rozi

I did have a rather scary experience up at Woodford Folk Festival last year.

Woodford has a very family friendly atmosphere, including having a huge fenced off kids town, where people look after the children and lead them in activities. However it is also a huge festival.

I was watching a fire/juggling performance in the main part of the festival. A woman came up with a young girl, sat her down on a chair in the crowd, told her she would be back in five minutes, then left her. The girl really wasn't old enough to be left on her own, and was very scared without her mum. She wasn't really interested in watching the performance.

After about 10 minutes, the girl just bolted off into the crowd looking for her mum. I followed to try and catch her. Fortunately another woman in the crowd had found her, and the poor little thing was in a stranger's arms bawling her eyes out. I explained to that woman that I didn't know the girl (her mum hadn't even asked people in the crowd to keep an eye on her), and explained what had happened. She was happy to keep an eye on her for a bit, whilst I went back and watched the show and kept an eye out for the girl's mum.

After about half an hour, the other woman obviously needed to be somewhere, so she brought the little girl back and sat her down again. After another painful 10 minutes, off the little girl went, running through the crowd to find her mum. This time she went so fast I couldn't follow her. I couldn't see her anywhere although I looked.

I am assuming that her mum did find her, but to be honest I never saw them. She was left alone for at least 40 minutes, relying on complete strangers who didn't even know her name and hadn't even been asked to look out for her.

mad

A fireperformance is not a child minding service. It is not like leaving your kids in front of the TV at home for half an hour whilst you peg out the washing. A festival is not a safe place to leave kids on their own.

I have seen a lot of careful parents at festivals and doofs. People who create a safe little place to take their kids back to when bed time rolls around (or take them home). People who put ear muffs and ear plugs on their kids to block out the loud music. People who don't leave their kids to play alone. I have seen a lot of very happy kids at festivals and doofs, usually at 7am playing in the sunshine. There are ways of being responsible with your kids at these types of events. I hate witnessing when people aren't responsible.

Must be something in the Air at Woodford, becasue I saw some very iresponsible parents everywhere. Letting their small children run around in the Circus tent when fire spinning classes were on. I nearly hit one of them when they came screaming past behind me...... I was like WTF !!! Where are your parents...... ohh their drunk over there. eek

Then at the Empe Theatere at night, there were around 5 of us that were fire spinning every night up there, and these little kids would come rolling down the hill and nearly hit us while our staffs and poi were alight. I couldn't belive it..... weavesmiley

I know I wouldn't let my kids any where near firespinners let alone for them to run into one of them.....

Not good at all.... some people don't deserve children.

End rant.... I just feel sorry for the children. frown

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
Written by: jc_firetricks

Must be something in the Air at Woodford, becasue I saw some very iresponsible parents everywhere.

Not meaning to diminish the stupidity of these people's behaviour, I think there is honestly something about Woodford that encourages it. On a general note, it seems like a very safe environment, full of play and delight. And I am sure that it is very easy to fall into the mindset that "the normal rules do not apply".

Specifically with fire, I do think that inexperienced people do get a skewed picture of the danger of fire through fire performances. Whilst all fire performers I know are very careful to say that what they do is dangerous, and don't encourage kids to do it, part of the performance is to make it look confident and easy. As such people will not "see" the care that goes into the safety aspect. Once again, that is not to diminish the fact that they are doing something silly.

And yep, there were a lot of badly supervised and badly behaved kids at Woodford this year. The worst I saw were running around the Village Green when an Aboriginal dance troupe of young kids were performing. They ran straight through the middle of the performance. I think everyone there just cringed.

The best behaved kids I saw were doing the circus performance organised by Reg from Circadia!!! ubbrollsmile They were brilliant, well behaved and very funny.

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

echecMember
5 posts
Location: by a giant toast rack in the land of manc, north w...

Posted:
I have to say that although i do agree that the idea of kids in raves is quite mad and getting trashed with utter disregard for your kids is way wrong, but a lot of my friends have little kids and they have been brought up in outdoor raves and festivals and theres never once been a major problem. I mean its not like they're at raves all the time, but in the summer in particular they are about quite a bit but its cool because they always make sure that there are people to look after them and there's normally a caravan or something for them to sleep in, anyone who dared touch them would not leave the place alive and in the mornings theres always people about to do stuff with them who arent too wrecked and the kids seem to have benefitted from it a weird way, in that nothing scares them and they're much more social, alert to their surroundings and really do appear to enjoy it. I'm not saying I would reccommend regular partying for toddlers, but it really does help for them to have been in and to be aware of those kinds of surroundings.

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
I can't comment on young children at raves...but anyone remember the 2 little buggers from thr VW campsite at PLAY?

Oh wait..you could hardly forget 2 extremely rude children shouting at the performers non-stop, making a big scene and thouroly pissing off the whole of the audiance - I can't imagen what it must have been like for the performers mad

As far as I know, the parents wern't around. In fact I hope they wernt, as I would hope that they would have disaplined the children should they see them behaving like that..
EDITED_BY: *Aimée* (1137574384)

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Yeah at Woodford we don't talk about 'lost kids'. We usually talk about 'lost parents'. On the plus side there, there is a good system for receiving and dealing with the kids...including that there is a 24 hour low cost childminding service available. Though I suspect sometimes parents have gotten 'lost' as a form of free childminding...

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Written by: JC Firetricks

Must be something in the Air at Woodford, becasue I saw some very iresponsible parents everywhere. Letting their small children run around in the Circus tent when fire spinning classes were on. I nearly hit one of them when they came screaming past behind me...... I was like WTF !!! Where are your parents...... ohh their drunk over there

Fire spinning classes, with fire, so that's learning fire with fire, and providing no fencing or other blockade to prevent accidents like this?! Sounds more like the organisers complete lack of responsibility than the parents.....

Written by: aimee

I can't comment on young children at raves...but anyone remember the 2 little buggers from thr VW campsite at PLAY?

Oh wait..you could hardly forget 2 extremely rude children shouting at the performers non-stop, making a big scene and thouroly pissing off the whole of the audiance - I can't imagen what it must have been like for the performers

Yes that was one of my low points frown the main show (especially Dror the Compare's act) being occaisionally ruined by children. They quietened down after I told them to shut up, well at least I didn't hear them again after that.

I understand how they started, the banter and heckling was very funny and all taken in the good spirit it was intended, I guess the kids just tried to be funny too and join in. I don't know if they were with their parents, if they were mine I'd have been quite quite embarrassed.

Ah well, at least we won't have to worry about the VW's this year biggrin

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
dunc - i dount they'd be spinning fire inside the circus tent...

i was sitting next to the older brother of that mouthy little girl at the play main show - he was indeed highly embarrassed and vowed to inflict many different forms of harm upon her once he got near her ubblol

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
ubblol Cool.....

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
Written by: Dunc

Written by: JC Firetricks

Must be something in the Air at Woodford, becasue I saw some very iresponsible parents everywhere. Letting their small children run around in the Circus tent when fire spinning classes were on. I nearly hit one of them when they came screaming past behind me...... I was like WTF !!! Where are your parents...... ohh their drunk over there

Fire spinning classes, with fire, so that's learning fire with fire, and providing no fencing or other blockade to prevent accidents like this?! Sounds more like the organisers complete lack of responsibility than the parents.....

Um, well, I was one of the organisers. There were no 'firespinning classes'. There were Spinning Skills classes for staff and poi, in the daytimes. No fire.

There were some small children, who we encouraged to participate in the (few)classes we ran for their age group, go to the kids festival, or remain on the outside of the space. Next year we will be even stronger about this; that it is a training space, not a hang out space. We did the same with adults too, moved them out if they were not participating in something specific.

But drunk parents at Circadia? I doubt it, really I do. Hot and sleepy maybe.

Fire was allowed in the training space from about 9 at night, with the permission and supervision of the tent owners (a professional circus). We had large orange 'witches hats' (I thought they were well over the top to be honest) and tape separating the space from the rest of the tent. Which had open sides and a grass floor, wet blankets, fire blankets, safety signage, 4 extinguishers and d60 fuel, which is such a high flash point it can be taken on planes. We also had daily safety audits and... I think you get the picture.... smile

135 posts

Posted:

, i WILL take my daughter to fests/meet/rave and house partys when she is old enough to understand whats going on, she will do it any way given time

rave, budy, no you won't. maybe fests/meets casue they can be family frendly. but you won't take her to raves. reason being....when she's old enough to "understand them" you won't be doing it any more. lmao and besides i've been in the scene sense '99, and i don't "understand what's going on" 90% of the time ubblol no one there does ubblol

trust me man. i said the exact same censored when my daughter was fisrt born. never happened, never will. granted she does paly with glow sticks. all i have to do to keep her entertained while i clean my house, is crack a couple of sticks, and let her play in front of the bathroom mirror. she's a ravers child, no doubt. but i have never taken her to a party/rave etc. the closest she's come is hanging out with me and my friends when we practice our sticking.

now you are right, our kids will, some day, do the censored we do now. all we can do is try to keep them from being wraped up in the "dark side" ya know, the all drug side. i'm teaching cyanne that glow sticking, liquid, and so on, is motion art. self expression. and that's the best i can do for now.....

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
NEVER take young children to festivals, funerals, raves, nightclubs, communities, wild parties or other countries, particularly India. They grow up to be totally competent streetwise famous bloody fire performers who make you look lame in comparison. umm Bad idea.

135 posts

Posted:
ubblol newgabe and the worst part of taking kids to hippie fests..........i hope you all are sitting down for this. it could be shocking.........they may become hippies themselves! hope i didn't scare any of you to badly wink

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Newgabe - I'm glad your organisation wasn't as it appeared from the previous post......Cool smile hug

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
Basu gasu bakuhatsu - because sometimes buses explode
1,584 posts

Posted:
*can't be bothered to read everything but agrees with Dunc's original post.

I've seen some underage kids at certain parties, and while I personally disagree and would never let my own child go alone until they're older and can make their own decisions (ahhh the rash teenage years I'm still in) I've definately got much shite with drunken/drugged pregnant mothers-to-be.

ubblol at newgabe and straightjacket
Yeah, kids at Burningman. Oh no! A new generation of hippies!

I hope my children grow somewhat like me. Which is that they see enough of their close friends make rash decisions and the consequences of drugs that they decide they don't need substances to have a good time, or at least control usage of it.

BTW, I think I will take my children to at least one party or club to point out the pros and cons of it. My mother always used to tell me that when she was a teenager in Bangkok, her father took her to a club where she saw the prostitutes hanging out. And that just made her work harder at school.

And we don't have much problems with hecklers in the states. It must be an European thing with street performance. umm

To do: More Firedrums 08 video?

Wildfire/US East coast fire footage

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

Page: