bullxSILVER Member
7 posts

Posted:
my self build PRACTICE staff is 140 cm alluminium tube whit a nice rubber grid but nothing at the ends.

i've seen video of staff with big cylinders at the ends , how do you buld them?
and then i've read to put some wood inside the ends of the staff , shoud i do this?

thank you

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
thou shalt performeth a searcheth on that which is named 'sparkly'!

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

FlameSILVER Member
addict
435 posts

Posted:
I realise this is an old thread but instead of creating a new one has anyone (Pinapple Pete you might know) made any practice staffs with no wick but wieghts on the end?. I have heard of people using bike tubes or rubber - but if someone has any suggestions or pictures this would be a very big help because I would love to make one. If rubber or a bike tube is a your suggestion then all i need to know is how??

Hope you can Help smile

*In the car while Pink is playing on the radio*
Tristan aged 4 : "Mum is this Pink?"
Flame:"Yes mate this is Pink?"
Tristan:"Are you going to Pink?"
Flame:"Yes i am"
Tristan:"Cool well I'm going to BLUE" smile

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
I've got a practice staff with bicycle inner tubes as weights, works a charm, and free to boot.

I like it because it makes a dull thud when the staff hits the pavement and it has the added bonus of looking like well used wicking from a distance.

It's pretty easy to do, just figure out how much weight you want, wrap it around the ends of the staff tightly and secure it with electrical tape, no screws needed. My staff is two years old, and still holding up well.

Don't use the inner tube as grip though because it rots and will turn your hands black. The older the staff gets the blacker your hands will become. I tried it, it sucks.

FlameSILVER Member
addict
435 posts

Posted:
Ahh ok so just rap it round and bind with electrical tape. Thank You. I thought this was the idea but wasnt sure if there was a better or correct way to do it.

Thank You very much will have fun this weekend putting one together

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
You're welcome.

You can screw it on if you like, I did with my first staff but with the second I figured I'd "just try it" with tape. It's been two years now and still going strong.

ElectricBlueGOLD Member
Now with extra strawberries
810 posts

Posted:
If you are useing inner tube you can also make it look really cool and fluffy if you "fringe" the edge of the innertube before you wrap it.

like this:

| | | | | | | | | | | | |
|_______________________|

But make sure to only cut the fringes halfway accross the innertube so that you still have something to wrap.

I {Heart} hand me downs and spinning in the snow.<br /><br />

FlameSILVER Member
addict
435 posts

Posted:
COOL smile clap

Not to high jack my own question but; is devil stick rubber the bicycle tube?
Electric your idea made me think about this because when they make practice devil sticks they have a similar effect on the ends any one know if this is the same material?

ElectricBlueGOLD Member
810 posts

Posted:
Yup some devil sticks are made just that way and i'm sure that some are even made with innertube.

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Or, you can just get some old towels and cut them into even lengths and attach like normal tube core wicks.

I've found that it pays for my practice staves to be a similar to my fire ones as possible...

Plus, the effort involved in making flower sticks (rubber covered devil sticks) isn't really worth it in my opinion, as staffs don't need the same grippiness.

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

ElectricBlueGOLD Member
810 posts

Posted:
Oh, You don't need to cover the whole stick i just use them for covering the ends of practice staffs when I'm teaching workshops. Much less likely to poke an eye out and they look kind of cool too.

FlameSILVER Member
addict
435 posts

Posted:
Thanks guys for all the advice will hopefully get a chance this weekend to put it together thank you all for the suggestions am gonna make a couple and will let you know how i go. smile