Forums > Social Chat > They [mess] you up, your mum and dad.....

Login/Join to Participate

DrBooBRONZE Member
I invented the decaffinated coffee table.
453 posts

Posted:
As Mr. Larkin once said:
The F*#k you up, your mum and dad, they may not mean to but they do,
They give you all the faults they have, and add some extra, just for you.

So what did your parents tell you when you were a child, that you later found to be untrue?
Or what do you plan to tell your children!?
Or, in fact, did your teachers tell you things that turned out not the be true!

For my part, my parents lead me to believe that to "jiffle" is a perfectly reasonable and frequently used word, to mean to fidget. I have since been told it is not a real word.

I know of a primary school teacher who came into the staff room and checked with the other teachers that she was right to tell the kids that during the war they painted the cows black so they couldn't be seen during the blackout (turned out to be the one thing all the kids remembered at the end of term!)

At my school we were told that sitting on radiators gave you piles, and that eating plain sugar (ie not in or on food) gave you worms.

Personally, I'm looking forward to telling my kids that when the ice cream van plays music, it means they're out of ice cream.

biggrin

Boo x

I intend to live forever - so far, so good.

If it costs "a penny for your thoughts", but people give you their "two-pence worth", who is getting the extra penny?

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
Is this a "We hate out paernts" thread or a "We can't wait to mess up our kids so they hate us like we hate our parents" thread?

wink

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

DrBooBRONZE Member
I invented the decaffinated coffee table.
453 posts

Posted:
Oh, I don't hate my parents - I think they fab.
It's more of a - what did your parents bring you up to belive was tru that amused them (and will amuse you if you do the same thing) - kinda thread.

No need for parent-bashing. Us Psych-types have too much of a bad reputation for doing that already - don't want to perpetuate a myth!!

Another example - I was told that switching the light on and off wasted electricity (actually, still not sure if that is true or not....)
wink

hug for my folks.

Boo x

I intend to live forever - so far, so good.

If it costs "a penny for your thoughts", but people give you their "two-pence worth", who is getting the extra penny?

KradBRONZE Member
60 posts

Posted:
DO u think it would be a bad idea to let my kids choose their own names? Coz I know most people disslike the name they have been given, but sumhow calling my children "[insert name here]" till they are old and mature enough to make the desicon would just be wierd.

I allways wanted to call my dog Syndrome, so I could shout "Down Syndrome" as loud as I wanted down the high street.. Does this make me a bad person? hehe

"Hold on tight to what you love and cherish, allways stand up for what you know to be right. Live everyday as if it were your last, and dont forget to smile!"

thegreatBJWoman! Not gay Man!
332 posts

Posted:
a bit of both i think.....

dont get me started on my mum (i still live with her and so i still hate her)

one of my english teachers ( who is i think one of the best teachers ive ever had) when we were learning GCSE poetry taught us that the poem meant one thing one lesson and the next lesson walked in and told us it meant the exact opposite.... when we said "but last lesson you said-" he insisted he didnt...

still insists he didnt to this day....... i think he was tying to make us open up our minds

im looking forward to telling my kids that they can choose any religion they wahnt and dont have to believe what the school says about chiristianity

I AM NOT A GAY MAN!

the_poierSILVER Member
the 1337 poier
346 posts

Posted:
Written by: thegreatBJ

im looking forward to telling my kids that they can choose any religion they wahnt and dont have to believe what the school says about chiristianity

wouldnt do that they mkight become satanist and sacrifice a goat every month....

ive got a fuzzbox and im not afraid to use it
R.I.P. gayfest

Pink...?BRONZE Member
Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured
6,140 posts

Posted:
Actually something like this came up last night when i went to see Jasper Fforde (amazing author - i recommend you go out and read all his books)

Anyway, he was saying that loads of parents tell their kids that swans will break your arm if you go near them. When no one i know, or anyone he knew, or anyone in the hall knew anyone who had, had their arm broken by a swan.

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
Written by: 1337_poier

Written by: thegreatBJ

wouldnt do that they mkight become satanist and sacrifice a goat every month....

You're joking right?

Or are you generally stereotypicalising in an ignorant manner?

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

dani_babybooSILVER Member
addict
667 posts

Posted:
my parents made me call yorkshire puddings pud puds and i wondered why ppl take the piss out of me at 18 for calling them that

mum also tells me what i wear to go clubbing in isnt normal (this is now) yet she is from the rock and roll days and wore layers of petty coats under skirts that when u twirled showed ur pants yet it isnt normal to go out in virtually jus ur pants and furry boots now (never understand that one)

also that djs arnt real musicians yet she jives to jive bunny and andy pickles from tidy boys is jive bunny

lots of other things aswell

i tell my kids the truth apart from normal kiddie stuff like santa and easter bunny is real i cant be that cruel...

but then my youngest son is jus a miniture opposite sex clone of me
EDITED_BY: dani_babyboo (1129752231)

enticed, entrapped, entombed.
intoxicated, impaled, ingested.
bewitched, beaten, broken.
enter the love realm...
insert ur token

o jej, ale bym ci wylizal ten pepek

stepped up promotions

nomeSILVER Member
35 posts

Posted:
My primary 6 teacher told me that sheep were stupid because their brains were made of wool.

VampyricAcidSILVER Member
veteran
1,286 posts

Posted:
Im looking forward to giving my children irrational fears of hillarious things, my friend from school was scared of bananas, i mean **** scared, i think buttons would be a good phobia, or violins

Proudly Owned By The BMVC

Are You Sniffing My Mitten?

dani_babybooSILVER Member
addict
667 posts

Posted:
im scared of some weird stuff

thats jus gave me a post idea

enticed, entrapped, entombed.
intoxicated, impaled, ingested.
bewitched, beaten, broken.
enter the love realm...
insert ur token

o jej, ale bym ci wylizal ten pepek

stepped up promotions

boopoiBRONZE Member
99 posts

Posted:
I remember asking my dad once, when I was really young, if he'd ever had sex (I was a strange child)..

The thing is, he said NO!!

Always remember... one MUST protect thy bread....

nomeSILVER Member
35 posts

Posted:
Unlike normal children, my brother and I were afraid of fireworks, so every time there were fireworks on our parents used to tell us that it was just a thunderstorm.

I'm actually still quite scared of fireworks, come to think of it.

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
I used to believe that the fairy that we put at the top of our christmas tree moved of her own accord during the night...

Apart from that... shrug

I'm going to bring my kids up to ignore the rules... because half the time people just re-write them not to include you... biggrin

After much consideration, I find that the view is worth the asphyxiation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

Red_RaveNGOLD Member
Neo - Hippie
358 posts

Posted:
In slovakia, we believe that it isn't santa who brings the presents but jesus..: ) when I was little I imained him as a smaller pale guy with an afro kind of hair.. never knew who he actually was untill seven or so..: )

my dad used to tell me many stupid things but I dont remember..

Smile.. It confuses people..:)

Wonders never cease as long as you never cease to wonder.

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
I was told that the reason we only got sandwiches on Christmas eve was that Jesus and his family were poor and had sandwiches, too. In fact my parents were just so busy putting up the tree, wrapping gifts and dealing with us that they couldn't be bothered to cook ubblol

Until today, my mother denies ever having lied about Jesus and the sandwiches wink

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
Written by: DrBoo

Another example - I was told that switching the light on and off wasted electricity (actually, still not sure if that is true or not....)
wink

it doesn't waste electricity, but it does make the bulb more likely to blow...if you left it on all the time it wouldn't blow, but it would wast a lot of electricity...so you were kind of doing a bit of both i guess!

i remember asking my mum what a virgin was because i heard it in an xmas carol (virgin mary...) and she told me that it was a thing most people don't want to be!!!!

thing is from that i figured it was really bad so didi wonder how jesus' mother was one!

I had a dream that my friend had a
strong-bad pop up book,
it was the book of my dreams.

Dr_MollyPooh-Bah
2,354 posts

Posted:
I asked my mother what rape was when I was very little (I'd heard it on the news I think).

She told me it was something bad men did with screwdrivers confused