Page:
colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
i actually feel sorry for the lass now.

i may be generalising but i'm pretty sure every top model has taken cocaine at some point in their career.
from what i've heard, like champagne and caviar, its almost inseparable from the fashion industry.

i'm not saying its right but she has been targeted by the media and hounded to the point of pretty much ruining her life.

i feel the media, the police and the (massively hippocritical) fashion industry are making a scapegoat of miss moss and its simply over the top.

come on, how is this fair and equal treatment?!

anyone else feel like giving kate a big hug right now?

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
yep, rimmel have dropped her too frown

Written by: onewheeldave

someone who influences young people tremendously is addicted to cocaine and doesn't care who knows it.

what's your basis for that dave?
i'm just guessing, but i think miss moss might just prefer it the papers didn't report on these parts of her life.
i personally think she probably does care quite a bit and even if she is a cold, emotionless dummy that doesn't care as you suggest, even the most cynical of us would have to agree that now its costing her a lot of money in lost work, she probably cares a lot about who knows what her drug habits are...

i think its a case of someone having been picked out because exposing parts of their private life will result in the largest sales of the rag that prints it.

i also don't quite understand your line of thinking that this witch hunt will result in a cleaning up of the industry.
its a positive hope but i don't see it as being realistic - maybe i'm too cynical but the morals of those in the fashion industry don't strike me as being too high.
i believe self regulation of this type in an industry like the fashion industry requires a fairly high moral grounding.

in my opinion, if the condemnation of drug use is to have a realistic chance of happening, some responsibility must be placed at the feet of the people with the money - i.e. some kind of regulation should be put into place by the cosmetics manufacturers and fashion houses to ensure their employees are not taking drugs.

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:

Who's 'we'. The problem with statements like that is that it portrays cocaine use as normal. Cocaine use isn't normal.

cathy burke is an actor that attends celebrity parties and other such ding dongs.

i think thats the 'we' that cathy was referring to.

cocaine use may not be normal, but in the fashion, entertainment and media industries, it is completely accepted if not the norm.

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
The recreational use of stimulants is an accepted part of everyday life for the majority of the western world.

She just happens to be taking one that has a greater stigma attached to it. Arguably with good reason, but does that make it a matter for policing or "naming and shaming"?

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

KupschSILVER Member
163 posts

Posted:
Loads of ppl in the entertainment industry do drugs, it just so happens kate moss got caught, shes not invincible, the media are in a total frenzy about it because thats just what they do unfortunately, i think because shes sooo huge and famous is the reason its been blown out of proportion and an example has to be set thats its not really acceptable because lots of youngs kids really asspire to be like her. i dont think companies like chnel etc want to portray the "junkie" image (i know shes not a junkie)and they have no qaulms about dropping her. its a shame, but thats the way it is in that industry. to be perfectly honest i could care less what happens to her as shes financially capable to support herself through this and it'll blow over and be tomorows news soon enough, i only really hope this has made her want to seek help if she is suffering from any kind of addiction, no doubt she wil write a wee book about it in five years. i reckon her main concern should be her child which u dont seem to hear about much and hope that she decides to go easy on the crack and support hr bubba, i hope she dumps pete docherty too, because lets be honest ladies, when the time comes, do u really want THAT near your children? ach well, anyone fancy a pint?

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Coleman, I didn't say that it would lead to a clean-up of the industry, just that it could. The main point I was making that to say it definitly won't, isn't something I see any evidence or support for.

Things do change, even ones that seem hopeless- see Peles recent thread on the fuel price drop (apparently brought about by consumers dealing with price rises by, instead of the expected stumping up of cash, simply cutting down on car use instead).

Also, think of the recent effective removal of smoking in public places- only ten years ago the thought of banning smoking in pubs would have been derided as totally impractical- now, in many places, it's in place and we see that it wasn't actually impractical at all.

Maybe the more celebraties realise that they're actually subject to the same standards and responsibilities as the rest of us, the more they will be inclined to clean up their acts.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

Arty FartyBRONZE Member
I wear yellow on monday
551 posts

Posted:
Coke is too avaliable on the scene for people not to have done it. Loads of people i know have done coke including myself. Coke is very reputable in certain circles-like snuff in the victorian times. Apart from being seriously addictive, coke is crap. I wouldnt waste the money on it. But coke is the Gucci of drugs, and you cant blame them wanting to keep up their reputation

The silly mare is old enough and pretty enough not to have touched it in the first place.

I think this is playing on everyones minds so much because we all really like Kate Moss. She was the one super model who we could rappor with. And now she gone and f*cked herself up, but i suppose having Pete as a boyfriend help loads (enter sarcasm).

Poor poor Kate Moss hug

You'll find me on the dance floor

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Written by: coleman

in my opinion, if the condemnation of drug use is to have a realistic chance of happening, some responsibility must be placed at the feet of the people with the money - i.e. some kind of regulation should be put into place by the cosmetics manufacturers and fashion houses to ensure their employees are not taking drugs.
cole. x

I agree. I think large corporations should be in charge of law enforcement. And private companies should be able to circumvent constitutional rights, but only if they're really big ones. I really think corporation monitored closed circuit TVs in private citizens homes is the only way to really effectively monitor the public.

wink

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
Yeah, in rich communities coke use is like caffeine in CS programs....

Ok, ok, not quite that bad, but there's a state in america where coke use is estimated at 60% of the population... having lived there, i'm inclined to belive it, but think about that, 60%.... thats huge.

I think I have a hard time feeling sorry for her, given that she's still got a fine life ahead of her (altho i do feel sorry for her for being in that f* up relationship) but I agree that the media should be summarily tied up and poked at with spoons as punishment....

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:

I dislike the media as much as anyone here, I don't support witch hunts either- but there's several distinct issues, one of which being that someone who influences young people tremendously is addicted to cocaine and doesn't care who knows it.

Bah, 'young people' arnt inlfuenced as much as people make out, being young myself I like Kate Moss, and dont feel the need to dressl ike her (how silly would thatbe?! lol but besides the point) or snort coke just because she does it, or any other celebrity of types that also do it (im sure if we really knew who did it we would be shocked). I think that bring up the old argument of, 'young people look up to these people and they should be more responsible', is a load of bullcrap. What these people do they do it behind closed doors, 'young people' are too young to

A: care

B: to even know what this or that means

By the time you realise what goes on, your at an age to bew considerd mature enough to know. Its nt like you will get a 12 year old girl snorting coke just because kate moss does it. This same girl might realise kate moss is on coke at 17 or whatever, but then by the time she realizes, she is old enough to know not to do it, and shes also old enough to realise the difference between Kate Moss and herself, so shes not gonna go do it anyway. Its pathetic useing this excuse, ok so Wayne Roony had an affair or something, like who cares? why stop him playing in matches its his own buisness not anyone elses, and what he does a home and on thew pitch dont affect each other anyway.

Its all an excuse for people to stick there noses in where it dosent belong.

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Written by: Brit_Joe

By the time you realise what goes on, your at an age to bew considerd mature enough to know. Its nt like you will get a 12 year old girl snorting coke just because kate moss does it. This same girl might realise kate moss is on coke at 17 or whatever, but then by the time she realizes, she is old enough to know not to do it, and shes also old enough to realise the difference between Kate Moss and herself, so shes not gonna go do it anyway.

Where are you from? I'm surrounded by teenagers all day and I'm AMAZED at how immature and influencable they are. Because "by the time they're old enough to do it they're old enough to know not to do it"?! According to your theory, nobody does drugs. Including Kate Moss.

confused

I definitely think SOME of my more insecure students would be more likely to try cocaine if they knew that it caused weight loss and that a major celebrity has been using it for years without dying.

I had a fantastic teenagehood. I was confident and outgoing and had tons of friends and was good at school. But that doesn't mean I assume that all of my students were given the same skills that I had. Some kids are truely living in hell trying to go through high school. And maybe doing a line of coke 'like that model did' would seem to make it better for a bit.

I could definitely see that happening. I could probably even tell you the kid it would happen to.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
Written by: NYC

I could probably even tell you the kid it would happen to.

but you'd probably get sacked for it wink

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
smile

Surprise, surprise, today she says she's going to use the whole unpleasant experience to sort her life out.

It would be nice if it was true.

smile

Getting to the other side smile

Page: