Forums > Social Chat > The Official 2006 World Cup in Germany Thread

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ...
KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
I know its early but I'm sooooo excited! So I felt the need to make a post rambling about some of the selection stuff.

First off no-one seemed to mention England loosing to Northern Ireland, which was just sad guys.... good for Northern Ireland, yes, they played well, but the British arn't getting it together (When do they ever in qualifyers tho? biggrin)

In SA Brazil and Argentina are of course qualified but the other (2/3) spots are still quite open... (rather open, whatever). I'm rooting for UY (still the smallest country to ever win a world cup! w00t!) but of course my preferences just don't count do they? tongue

Back to europe (the only other zone that matters tongue) Ukrane qualifying was a big surprise... cool tho... don't know anyone from there but if your about you should make yourself known! smile
CZE looks great, again. I'm pulling for them at least a little.
And croatia is looking decent. This is an impressive one.... my familys from thereabouts smile
austria, on the other hand, is sucking. which makes me sad.
Other than that I noted poland is doing pretty well (and britain still has to play them tongue)

Anyone else have anything to say?

biggrin

can't wait.... i really wish i could be in a country that actually televises the d*mn thing.....

bounce

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
amazing to see HOW many of those annoying little england flags are still flying from cars.....................as in hardly any ubblol

Non-Https Image Link

www.ihateronaldo.com

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
You said about the captains, Nuno Valente got me 24 points in one game!!! The points (maybe for all players, but possibly just the captains) are all doubled at the moment, and seeing as he was my captains anyway on double points, it quadrupled!

biggrin

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
Oh boo hiss!

After the Argentinans (if that's the right word) started hitting the Germans after the quarter final, the Italians have now dug out a scene that looks like Frings hit an Argentinan, too.

Now Frings said he didn't. The ARGENTINAN on the video said he didn't (and it would've been so easy for him to say he did to get back on Germany winning). But still Frings is not allowed to play in the semi.

Who would you believe, the Argentinan that thinks Frings didn't even touch him, the referee that stood like 2 steps away, or the Italian team that'll have one less good player against them?

angry

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
O.O How did that HAPPEN????

I mean, seriously, how is that allowed?

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
My educated guess would be that it's allowed in the same way that Juventus Turin won the last 2 championships, and Italy got the penalty against Australia ubblol

Seriously though, I think it's mostly due to the over-correctness of the FIFA. Still... not good frown

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
hehehe... nice Pepsi ad:

Well, it's a BIT stereotypical, but at least in the end Ronaldinho gets a proper hairstyle ubblol

(G.W. Dahlquist)

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I am disappointed by the overbearing influence that the refs have had in this series. Again, maybe that's just my lack of experience with Soccer.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

ZeroGSILVER Member
Friendly Fire Fiddler
103 posts

Posted:
 Written by:

I am disappointed by the overbearing influence that the refs have had in this series.

In this Frings case, which CAN decide the semis, it wasnt even a ref decision. The ref stood 1 meter behind Frings during the row started by Argentinian players after loosing. One Argentinian player got a red card for this, the ref decided not to punish Frings (neither other involved Argentinian player). Normally this means no sanction. But here, the old guys in grey suit sat down at the green table to influence the football.

Italian media had cooked this up, provided FIFA with ultra slomo visuals and the headlines were all like Nazi crimes again ...

What unselfish, fair sportsmen these Italians are, has anyone see the slomo footage of the Oz dive ?

But it was clear that after the very ugly scenes in Turkey qualifier, FIFA has to come down hard on unfair player who start to beat and push after the game is lost.

It is just utterly ironic how they do this - both incidents were clearley started by Turkish and Arentinian player after loosing - the big punishment goes to the self-defending side by system: German player Frings being disqualified for a WC semi final, a Swiss player has received a 7 ordinary games ban: That came down to the 4 games Switzerland played this WC and the 3 = full openig round of the next EC in Switzerland ... this actually takes this player out of his National team for 2 years - and he responded after being attacked ...

The refs have made mistakes, especially on offsides and penalties. Also they have given too many cards stopping the game. However, it is an imrpovement vs WC 02 where bad decisions have sent teams go home ... there will always be a human element, who wants a cyber-ref ?

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
ANYONE with a bit of sence KNOW portugal are cheating dirty greasy pretty boy twats!!!! love the video of rooney stamping that muppets nads ubblol

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
hmmm yeah. 2002 that Turkish guy got a red after Rivaldo pretended he was dying from NOTHING, before that Maradona scored with his hand etc... won't ever be perfect. But if you can't avoid wrong decisions DURING the match, why make them afterwards when it's not necessary?

(G.W. Dahlquist)

yuhuumember
74 posts

Posted:
wouuuh it's gonna be a great match tonight (or today depens biggrin)

germany / italiaaa

two, three times world champion !!!!!
I hope Italy's going to win ..and in a good way, then nobody will doubt that they're a great team!!!

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
Well done italy clap great game, by the end both sides deserved it I think

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
yeah, brilliant game, one of the best in the tournament!

The 2:0 was a bit unnecessary, but then that happens when you send everyone to the front to equalise!

I'd rather we lost in a good match than won after playing awfully, so congrats to Italy, and GO GERMANY for #3!!

(G.W. Dahlquist)

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
I missed it frown

Stupid work + holiday

I'll miss tomorrows as well tho maybe not all of it.

And I'm lonely to boot. I want a hug so bad its interfereing with my like, existence.

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

ZeroGSILVER Member
Friendly Fire Fiddler
103 posts

Posted:
Congratulations Italy.

The game was a real thiller, it was obvious that the first lucky shot or mistake would decide, and Italy pulled a cleaver play out of its hat last minute.

Germany was playing well, but the danger in front of the goal was missing, as was Frings (Schneider missed the best chance, had it been another player for this shot ...). Was very surprised that Klinsmann exchanged Borowski for Schweinsteiger weakening our left offense and only very late changed Schneider for Odonkor as the right offense was our weak spot and opportunity with right defense Italian weak spot too. Spilled milk ...

We're up to a exciting semi Portugal-France tonight. Will be equally tight match I guess.

My heart is now with France who found back to playing creative offensive football. Hope they will make it all the way, even though there will be some irony as neither Farnce nor Portugal or Italy have played very good in first round. Apparently, its all about the finish ... unlike Poi.

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
awwww Kyri! Have an electronic one hug!!

I'll miss the final, how annoying's that! But I might get someone to record it for me smile

(G.W. Dahlquist)

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
hahahahhahahahaha... sorry Germany but Italy.... nice.

they deserved to win...

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
:P

What's worse, I lost 2 pounds and probably the lead in the fantasy football league ubblol

(G.W. Dahlquist)

Page: ...