Page:
Julie2022member
145 posts

Posted:
Ok - my 7 year old is a maniac for anything that spins and fire...I've already let him have at some sock poi, he's loving it, he can butterfly - believe it or not :? biggrin However, I was wondering as to when I should even begin to consider letting him light up - if he ever gets to a point where he'd want to.

What age is still too young? 12, 15?...At all until he's 18? smile

I'm thinking of just floating through with him and going by how he handles mature issues. Is that good enough?

Or is this just a rediculous question to ask?

Anyone else have kids that they've taught? Or - is anyone a kid of a parent who spins?

"I'm your Huckleberry."

The muse spake her thought and then there was silence. Thy spiked tongue had melted, only a bitter heart remained.

JtJCheck ya later
500 posts

Posted:
i only spin a bit (with fire) but i have been juggling fire since the age of 13, and i believe that age has nothing to do with it (to a certain point, obviously). In my experiences of teaching use of fire toys/tools I have found that if it is taught well and in a safe environment, it will not only teach the pupil to use fire, but it will teach them to use it responsibly and it will teach them that fire is a tool not to be messed with. whether the pupil is 10 or 110 they will have a lot more respect for what fire can and cant do after spinning/juggling with it.

My main point is that the most important thing to learn with fire is respect. if a spinner/juggler has respect for fire then they should be trusted to use it whether they are supervised or not. that said, i still think it is not a good idea for anyone to use fire toys on their own, and if a child is using it without their parents supervision, it is still their parents responsibilty to make sure their child can use it safely.

BUT, seven is just about too young to experiment with spinning fire. maybe have a small controlled campfire in your garden or something and teach your kid to keep it going, control it, and let it burn out safely. although this has nothing to do with spinning/juggling, it will help them understand fire in general.

respect . . .

Jake the Juggler

KlownyBRONZE Member
Disco Inferno
160 posts

Posted:
As a kid myself (Im 15) and a spinning tutour to a couple of kids younger then me, I know for a fact, that it all dpepends on what you consider mature enough, I have taught some kids as young as seven staff moves that they can now pull off better then me. With fire as well. It is more a judgement of whther you trust him to do the right thing as to when he does use fire, (i.e in your presence or the presence of other mature adults) The kids I taught were all reasonably mature and are now quite good spinners. You should use your motherly jusgement and that of a spinner, as to whether he is really ready to spin. good luck! smile

"Only fools are positive! are you sure? Im POSITIVE"

FIRE_SPINNERBRONZE Member
87 posts

Posted:
i chil is ready to spin when he/she can do poi well enough to not hit thereselves and respects fire and can access risks (within limitationa) e.g there is a tree just above were you are going to spin with lots of dead leaves do you spin? those common sense situations

Midget_with_a_stickmember
31 posts

Posted:
well like really, im 13 and i lit up when i felt i was ready and that was 2 days after i started, lol. but i didnt hurt myself at all and i no all the basic fire procausions and stuff and it was fine so don't think that all kids are immature with fire and stuff

juggle

Whats the worst thing i could say?

For all the wounds that are never gonna scar me

Midget_with_a_stickmember
31 posts

Posted:
well like really, im 13 and i lit up when i felt i was ready and that was 2 days after i started, biggrin lol. but i didnt hurt myself at all and i no all the basic fire procausions and stuff and it was fine so don't think that all kids are immature with fire and stuff wink

juggle

Whats the worst thing i could say?

For all the wounds that are never gonna scar me

Azrelle_member
39 posts

Posted:
during the BJC Fireshow this year we started off with some kids doing their thang

I reckon that so long as the kid is reasonably competent unlit, their parent/guardian has given the ok, they understand the risks of what they are doing and know what to do if there is a problem. Also they should not be left unattended, lit or unlit.

Some children are eminently more sensible about their safety than some adult spinners i've met

Live life the fun way

the_poierSILVER Member
the 1337 poier
346 posts

Posted:
i started at 12 but i know people whove started at nine...as long as the parent is consenting the child knows the risks and what to do in an emergency and youve got a safety near by then i reckon he should be alowed...

ive got a fuzzbox and im not afraid to use it
R.I.P. gayfest

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Written by: Midget_with_a_stick

well like really, im 13 and i lit up when i felt i was ready and that was 2 days after i started, biggrin lol. but i didnt hurt myself at all and i no all the basic fire procausions and stuff and it was fine so don't think that all kids are immature with fire and stuff wink

What do you mean here?

That you lit up two days after taking up spinning?

If so, then that strikes me as precisely an immature attitude towards fire spinning and its risks- no way can you in two days achieve the necessary control to be doing fire.

Or, have you simply not explained yourself properly and you had in fact been spinning considerably longer than two days before lighting up. If so, then it's not particularly mature to post in such a confusing manner on a board read by complete newbies.

Either way I'm not seeing much of a mature attitude to fire and its dangers.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Written by: 1337_poier

i started at 12 but i know people whove started at nine...as long as the parent is consenting the child knows the risks and what to do in an emergency and youve got a safety near by then i reckon he should be alowed...

as long as... they know the risks etc,etc.

What proportion of nine year olds can truly appreciate the risks?

What proportion of nine year olds who do spin truly know the risks?

I've seen plenty of adults who don't appreciate, address, or even care, about the risks.

Nine year olds shouldn't be spinning fire.

IMO, this thread is getting silly, and I've reported it to the mods so they can give some input.

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

the_poierSILVER Member
the 1337 poier
346 posts

Posted:
hmm well the nine year old in question did know the risks properlly as it was part of a public fireshow...although many nine year old take fire to be a bit of fun some do know that its a very dangerous thing...

ive got a fuzzbox and im not afraid to use it
R.I.P. gayfest

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
It doesn't follow that just because one is in a public fire show that one knows the risks properly.

I'm not saying this particular individual didn't know the risks- just that it doesn't follow.

I've seen some shoddy attitudes in public fire shows.

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
And throughout this thread I'm seeing a lot of the same dodgy reason.

IMO, if you want to argue that nine year olds spinning fire is OK, you need to be spot on with your arguments and facts, because, if even one child is swayed by something they read here and end up getting burnt or killed as a result- that's on your head (not refering to 1337 here, but to everyone whose making out that children using fire is no big deal).

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
This thread has done it's dash, and I'd like to extend thanks to OWD, FRD & newgabe for providing very worthwhile links and opinions on the subject.

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

Page: