Forums > Social Chat > Computer Games? Do you?

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
DarkmatterBRONZE Member
25 posts

Posted:
I would like to know, who in here plays computer games alot? To be more specific who here plays PC games? Are any of you computer fanatics? Please tell me i'd like to know biggrin

============================================
PCRules.com - Welcome to the PC age

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
i have a degree in computer games, if that helps

Arty FartyBRONZE Member
I wear yellow on monday
551 posts

Posted:
i used to, but then i found this site.

Age of Empires!!! Proper addictive!!

You'll find me on the dance floor

LemonkeyStalking amidst the desert, carrying an oversized scalpel...
1,019 posts

Posted:
Age of Empires was an amazing game.

I used to love Sim City too. After buying Sim City 4 though, I got bored quickly. :\

Willy - is bad for your health...

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Never gamed on a pc, used to lots on playstation etc (I would happily lay down a Tony Hawkes Challenge to anyone right now cuz I'd probably win wink ) but have only used a pc for t'interwebing and homework and looking at pictures of naked people ubbangel

Let's relight this forum ubblove

SebPenguin of Mass Destruction and Tricky Bugger to the court of Claire the Askew
643 posts

Posted:
I used to play a load but I've uninstalled all my games to have room for my computer to actually run at something approching running. Online pap I'll still eat up happily, and I forum and research a bunch still but I've fairly recently discovered my body's really god for stuff as well as my mind and began to move around much.
I'm not sure weather to be ashamed of looking at pictures of naked people or not, not that I'm sexually repressed.

Chucks nuns
Property of mynci and blu_valley, and proud of it.

Puresockaddict
406 posts

Posted:
Can't get away from the damn things biggrin

World of Warcraft: Stormrage, Maccy the lvl38 undead warrior, Maccus lvl11 Night Elf priest

Counterstrike ID: Puresock (But I rarely play)
UT2k4: Puresock
I used to play on Xbox live a lot but I don't these days, thanks to WoW. My tag is Puresock there, too.

Feel free to add me to your friends lists if you want.

Aside from online stuff I play a fair bit of Warcraft 3 wth my housemates and I'm into Silent Hill 3 at the moment. Between me and the rest of my house we have almost every console worth having and we play them an awful lot smile Tekken 5 is the current game of choice. I suck at it.

I like games.

"Take that, math!"

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
ohh, me too! Warcraft 3 rocks my world (sad git that I am).

Age of Empires is amazing, and got me into RTS's. Actually that's a lie, Warcraft 2 got me into RTS's... Anyone seen AoE 3 yet? :dribblesmiley:

Battle.Net name: Egress

But I only play custom games cause I get hammered every time I try to play normal ones.

I'll start playing shooters again any day now... ubbangel

After much consideration, I find that the view is worth the asphyxiation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

Konstilovable smart-ass
785 posts

Posted:
midnigth club 3 (xbox), im at 97% percent goddamit.......
GTA san andreas (xbox), is amazing...

"is optimism in austria just a lack of information?"
-Alfred Dorfer

Deviant_thinkingmember
36 posts

Posted:
warcraft III, i play some ladder, not much, mainly DotA

www.dota-allstars.com

best wc3 mini-map imo

also CS 1.16 (before all that weapon maintenance bs =P )

Give a man a fire and he's warm for the night,
Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

yoniGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,099 posts

Posted:
i'll just say that in my room are 3 computers none of which are connected to the internet or have any homework on them

UCOF "evolution: Poi -> stick -> hoops -> devil stick -> juggling club -> juggling ball -> crayons."

Supergroovalsticprosifunkstication
In other words, it's the thumps bump

thelostSILVER Member
mmm...i feel all warm and fuzzy... 'no dude, that's your hair on fire'
355 posts

Posted:
All Final Fantasy's from VII onwards (apart from XI), got an xbox too.
PC-wise, played MMORPGs for way too long, Counter-Strike Source and Battlefield 2 at the moment

It's better to burn out than to fade away

DarkmatterBRONZE Member
25 posts

Posted:
Fantastic, good to see some gamers out there. but for some reason you all seem to be into RTS's, everyone to there own i suppose. But in a way that is a good thing, and u'll descover why that is a good thing soon enough. ne how i'm personally a fan of FPS's the games that push the PC to it limits.

Did you know the home computer market is advancing so fast because of PC games. Games push developers to bring out faster CPU's and better graphics cards. tis the only bed thing about PC gaming, your always having to upgrade!

Any how, has anyone thought about writing about the games you play, ahve you ever wanted to tell the world how good a game is or how bad a game is? have you ever wanted to publish you veiws on the internet? tis another thing i'm interested in (bare with with me a point will become apparent). Have you ever wanted to get legal! free games for just writing your oppinions?

Written by: Puresock

Counterstrike ID: Puresock (But I rarely play)
UT2k4: Puresock
I used to play on Xbox live a lot but I don't these days, thanks to WoW. My tag is Puresock there, too.

can't say i ever got into counter strike, bit slow, but UT 2k4! best Multiplayer FPS in my view. havn't played any games online for a while though, too addicted to circus skills, donno if its a good thing or a bad thing really.

had my xbox for 3 years and never got round to getting it on xbox live, just really use it for 4 player halo. one of those things that you mean to do for years but never actually get round to it.

also, (how geeky is this going to sound!!!) but anyone like to share there PC specs? or am i the only true computer geek on this site? surly not! (to those of you who are not computer people whill mock this, but those closit geeks out there will jump at the chance to chinwag about there computer, comeone u know you want to biggrin. ignore the mocking! they just don't understand!) a computer is just like a very advanced more indepth mecarno kit?

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
Written by: Darkmatter

Any how, has anyone thought about writing about the games you play

never really been into games programming much, although I did write pacman under playstation 2 linux a while back. PS2 programming is worth it if only to know how to turn your gamepads into vibrators wink

Written by: darkmatter

can't say i ever got into counter strike, bit slow, but UT 2k4! best Multiplayer FPS in my view

Counterstrike (the original, now version 1.6) is in my view the best online fps and has been for the past 4 years. The fact it still has a large user base is testiment to this. When PCs started to get good enough to show video clips and companies started releasing games that had stunning (for the time) graphics it quickly became apparent that it was gameplay and original ideas that made great games, not sfx. You can be completely immersed in a game with cheesy gfx if the concept is good. Counterstrike has the perfect balance of realism, unrealism, gameplay, a dev team that are willing to continue releasing free bug fixes and features years after it's release (like 16:10 mode recently for us ponces with widescreen tfts) and people still making new maps.

also, (how geeky is this going to sound!!!) but anyone like to share there PC specs? or am i the only true computer geek on this site?

it doesn't sound too geeky, but it is a bit off topic for the forums. I post on other forums like kustompcs for my geekiness addiction. I'm more interested in looks and quietness of PCs these days, as opposed to specs.

DarkmatterBRONZE Member
25 posts

Posted:
Written by: flid

never really been into games programming much, although I did write pacman under playstation 2 linux a while back. PS2 programming is worth it if only to know how to turn your gamepads into vibrators wink

Haven't got anywhere with programming, only got metal balls to levitate, and robots to walk around rooms, but thats all in my course. What i was meaning has anyone wanted to write reviews for games. have you read a review in a mag and thought they didn't have a clue what they were saying and wanted to put them write?

On the couterstrike matter, i know its the biggest online FPS and has over double the fanbase of UT (obviously the original UT is the superior). but that all depends on what you like, the more skilled gamer will play UT because it requires more skill to play and is not based on who see's who first (but thats what any UT lover will say, everyone has there own view)

Written by: flid

it doesn't sound too geeky, but it is a bit off topic for the forums. I post on other forums like kustompcs for my geekiness addiction.

Never really got into forums very much, even the one i run i don't actually post much on, its really bad! but hay if you would be a stoner!

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:

the more skilled gamer will play UT because it requires more skill to play

ubblol

What i was meaning has anyone wanted to write reviews for games

assuming that you make money from your site and your comments were to encourage people to write reviews for you, i'd say that constitutes advertising, which isn't allowed on these forums (technically having a url in your sig is slightly naughty) wink

DarkmatterBRONZE Member
25 posts

Posted:
well i was technically only hinting, which is more subliminal advertising... but to say that i made money from my site would be wrong, as i don't, not a penny, dime, or cent. And encouraging people to review for me isn't advertising, but more recruiting. finding people with similar interest. I'm one of those people who plays games, then reads reviews and disagree's with the review and what to publish my opinion, (got my opinion published in PCZone once, was well chuffed). so i started writing about them... although I'm not saying that i wasn't motivated by the idea of publishers sending me review copies of games before they came out for free. I've got hardware for review and been able to keep it. imagine thinking of a peripheral that you want, but can't really afford to buy it, and to get it all you have to do is write a few words on how it works to get it for nothing (obviously the person writing the review would keep the peace of hardware/game, its only fair). it helps them(the companies), and it helps you.

And about the url in my signature, it wouldn't let me put the full https://
etc etc but it would let my just put PCRules.com. so assumed its not really a problem as its not really a proper url link wink

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
Hmm, I'll push the boat out I guess...

2.4 Mhz Processor
1GB RAM
GeForce 6600 (512MB)
DX 9.0c
19" Flatscreen

No soundcard, so until I get one, and some speakers I'm stuck playing RTS for the moment...

Deviant, what's your B.Net name? I'm a DotA Player myself...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

yoniGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,099 posts

Posted:
okay some of it is absalutly s**te okay all except the proccessor

3500+ 64 bit athalon (939 pin)
okay now the bad parts

128 mb ram
64 mb graphics card
80gb sata hard drive
i have a sound card but can't remember what it is and have 2.1 speakers

the rest is just the usual dvd drive etc.

although in my defence i have 4 computers

UCOF "evolution: Poi -> stick -> hoops -> devil stick -> juggling club -> juggling ball -> crayons."

Supergroovalsticprosifunkstication
In other words, it's the thumps bump

[noodles]*Property of Pigeon Wigeon*
893 posts

Posted:
I like the odd gaming spree. Mainly Battlefield 1942 and Battlefield 2. Am part of a mod team called 'Who Dares Wins'. I work as a skinner.
Played HL2 and a bit of CS Source. Have also recently been asked to join a HL2 mod my friend is making. He's a multimedia developer by trade so should be a sweet mod.
Built my comp for gaming and graphics,
Pentium 4
3.0 GHz
512 RAM (upgrading to 1GB soon)
120G HD
GeForce 6600 256 DDR
Sound card of some description and I have a creative 5.1 surround system.

Could somebody stop the room please... I'd like to get off

JauntyJamesSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,533 posts

Posted:
Mmmm, computer games.

Starcraft
Civilization (test of time was the only good verion)
Morrowind

A few others when I feel like it.

-James

"How do you know if you're happy or sad without a mask? Or angry? Or ready for dessert?"

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
I have thought about doing reviews in the past, but only with the view to make money, so if i were to i'd make and host the site for it.

I gave up collecting computers a while back and dejunked my life. I have access to enough (perhaps too many) PC/linux/unix boxes at work anyway and this way I can concentrate my money better. I currently have 2 laptops, desktop, HTPC/fileserver and a 1U colo server. My main box is:

Barton XP 2500 running at equiv to 3200

1Gb Crucial DDR400

Gigabyte GA-7VM400M Motherboard (SATA, Raid etc)

200Gb SATA drive

1200Gb IDE drive (for backups)

DVDRW Dual Layer 12x

7in1 card reader

Geforce 4 Ti4200 running at equiv to 4600

Audigy 2 ZS Soundcard

Hauppuge Nova-T Digital TV card

802.11g Wireless Lan

Sweetspot SVideo/Component Capture Card

Akasa AK-MCHC mATX Transparent Case

SilenX <14db 520watt PSU

SilenX case fans <20db

Dell 2005FPW 20" Widescreen TFT

Logitech MX1000 mouse

Coolermaster Aluminium Keyboard

Creative 5.1 Surround Speakers

Sennheiser RS120 Wireless Headphones

I plan to replace the gfx card with a geforce 6800 soon and add an lcd within the next month, possibly going for some water cooling of the cpu/gfx to keep the whole rig below 20db. I'm not too bothered about CPU speed at the moment. A fairly recent picture of my desk can be found here.

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
I love my pc and my games. My favs are NeverWinter Nights (exclusivly since I first bought it) online lol

Starwars: KoToR
Starwars: Gallactic Battle Grounds (cool RTS)
Starwars: Jedi Outcast 2

Baldures Gates 2

Age of Mythology: titans (expansion), (yes I used to be an Age of Empire fan)

Giants Citizens Kabuto (very funny game, british humour)

Homeworld 2

City of Heros (soon to buy City of VILLANS!! YEAAAAH!)

IceWind Dale 2

The sims lol

Any fighing game for the playstation, my fave is a very old japanese game called Battle Arena Toshinden 4

Tombraider The Angel of Darkness for the PS2

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

polaritySILVER Member
veteran
1,228 posts

Posted:
Probably more of a gamer than most, as I go to LAN parties occasionally, and have far too much spare time that needs filling. I've played Call of duty and Call of Duty: United Offensive beggining to end, then done it all again. The last month I've done Deus-Ex (Damn good game) and Deus-Ex: Invisible War (crap, but I found out about Kidneythieves who did some of the music)

It's more fun playing a team game with actual people, and you can play drunk without getting beaten too badly, safe in the knowledge that everyone else is in a similar state biggrin (plus there's the satisfaction of hearing your opponents screams wink )

My rig has been neglected as I've been putting so much money into file / web / mail / DNS servers and firewall stuff for an internet cafe (including a sun E450, bet my computer is bigger than yours wink ), and LED poi.

current gaming system :

Shuttle XPC SN45G
Barton 3200
512Mb (Dual channel at 200Mhz cause I got cheap memory)
ATI Radeon 9700 Pro
200 + 60 GB HDDs
Benq 1620 DVDRW that can burn 16x on nice cheap 8x discs smile
MX1000 mouse

Want to get:
Transparent case (so I can put my LED poi stuff to use somewhere else)
DFI Lanparty SLI mboard
AMD FX-75
2x 7800 cards.

but I'll probably end up getting an LSI 8ch SATA card (4 drives per channel) and making an even more ridiculously huge file server.

I haven't been to a Lan Party since I joined HoP biggrin

You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.

Green peppers, lime pickle and whole-grain mustard = best sandwich filling.

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
@Flid: Oooh. Preeeeety *drools*

My box is pretty ricey at the moment. can run bf2 though, so i'm happy. Admittedly everything is on low and i'm getting about 30fps, but still. CS:S runs nicely, as does HL2, i can play most (if not all) games on the market, with the exception (probably) of EQ2, but i'm not much of an MMORPGer.

Speccy stuff:
Athlon XP 2600+ (running std, about 2.3Ghz, i think)
1gb ram. ddr 333, i think, but i could be wrong there, it's been a while since i put it together.
geforce fx 5700LE, 256mb ram. Getting a bit tired now, that card. loved it, though.
120+40gb IDE HDD
120gb SATA hDD
onboard sound (yeah. go me tongue )
Logitech 6.1 surround setup. goes well with the dodgy sound card ubblol
LG dvd burner

thats about it, though. If/when i get a job, a new box is going to be one of the first things i get. Leaning towards alienware at the moment, but custom builidng is more fun.

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

LoewanBRONZE Member
and behold!
464 posts

Posted:
Only got an iBook so don't play on games much (one of the reason I got an iBook).

Been playing WC3 and WoW recently tho.

Why let your body be a temple? When it can be a theme park?

Wii Console Number: 3294 0297 7824 7498

pineapple peteSILVER Member
water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
nope, never

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

VampyricAcidSILVER Member
veteran
1,286 posts

Posted:
im a counterstrike-aholic, but im getting majorly into Battlefield 2 atm, its so much fun!!!! yes i probabily play games a little too much, but hey they're fun!!!

Proudly Owned By The BMVC

Are You Sniffing My Mitten?

NoddyToe Poking Bad Boy
2,865 posts

Posted:
im a first person shoot'em'up war games addict

KILL KILL KILL..... *ahem* biggrin

Remember.........YOU LOSE!!!

Puresockaddict
406 posts

Posted:
I just upgraded smile

AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Venice
Abit AN8 SLi nForce4 SLi (Socket 939) PCI-Express Motherboard
Corsair 1GB DDR
ATI Radeon X800 ICEQII TURBO 256MB DDR3
Western Digital Caviar Special Edition 250GB SATA

It's so beautiful... Fixed it all up last night, jumped into UT2k4, and whacked all the detail options to full. Yum. Same with WoW - very, very pretty game.

UT2k4 is, in my opinion, the best multiplayer FPS around. I don't know why so few people are playing it online these days frown CS bores me, it's way too slow. And all you people who play anything other than CS:S are wrong, wrong, wrong smile Feel free to stick me on your buddies list, I'm going to be playing it online more these days I think.

"Take that, math!"

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
Giants: Citizen Kabuto is absolutely hysterical, it's such a shame that it got almost no sales.

Deus Ex is my favourite game *ever* hands down. It's the only game I've ever gone out and found a player for the music for. I now have a CD with all the best music from it.

yay for pushing the boat out! I knew there were some more geeks here wink

Page: