MunkustrapBRONZE Member
21 posts

Posted:
Hello! I'm Munkustrap, just joined here. I was referred to this site by a fire twirler I performed with in Ottawa's International Busker's Fest. I knew nothing about poi until he educated me on it. When I asked him how's a good way to get involved he sent me here.

My first question about poi is, is there an easy way to make decent poi (not for burning, of course) with things you might find in your house? I thought it would be cool to try out, but not something I want to invest in quite yet. He'd suggested socks tied to strings, instead I put tennis balls in socks, then tied shoe laces, but it was starting to tear away the skin on the inside of my fingers, so I was doing something wrong... :P And it's rare for something to wear away at my horribly calloused hands!

So if you've got any tips, I'm all ears!

Please send food!

.:star:.SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,785 posts

Posted:
socks are the answer!!!

long socks (the over knee ones) with juggling balls/beanbags/hamsters in them. Hold on to the top bit, you might need to wrap them around your hand once or twice, then just spin them like that!!

there are lots of useful articles on this site such as this one
https://www.homeofpoi.com/articles/practicepoi.php
that should help you.

ubbrollsmile

AzadondoSILVER Member
journeyman
59 posts

Posted:
And as long as you are here... go to the introduction forum and introduce yourself to all the people here.

Oh-- and I had the same problem as you with the wearing away of the hands, so I cut up some olf fleece and made a pair of finger loops for my tennis ball and string poi and it solved the problem.

Performing marriages, funerals, baptisisms, last rites and absolving the sins for HoPers for-- not very long actually.

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Sock poi are the best. I like something a bit heavier than a tennis ball, like a bag of rice or something in the tennis ball as there is a bit of drag. Cone poi are nice. Which are poi out of material.

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

MunkustrapBRONZE Member
21 posts

Posted:
Thanks guys!

Please send food!

Xtremely Flameablemember
95 posts

Posted:
My practice poi are just the tennis ball from the good ol' ball and chain. I just tied shoelaces to them. Not very posh but still good for plain practice.

When a man lies, he murders some part of the world.

MunkustrapBRONZE Member
21 posts

Posted:
Oh, and I was checking the free lessons, and it was describing the best way to hold it was your pointer finger, ring finger, and pinky finger through the loop, with your middle finger ommitted. (Above or below the rest of the fingers?) I was wondering if that had to do with the rubbing... Anyways, keep flinging things around!

Please send food!

JayKittyGOLD Member
Mission: Ignition
534 posts

Posted:
When I first started I had the same problem, if you spin for a long time with the grip showed in the lessons page, you're gunna have some nasty blisters. Rotate fingers. Also, the socks they sell on here are good quality and feel good with a tennis ball in them. AND they're soft! Or you can just use a long sock with a pretty design, simple stripes are nice looking and have that hardcore poi spinner look. Good luck and welcome to HoP too ^_^

Don't mind me, just passing through.

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
I think you can probably find parts of poi online in the many online stores for poi. Its probably not that much effort to get hold of individual parts of a paire of poi and then put them together yourself and add to the design if you can. Then you will get a homemade poi that looks as good as anyyou would buy from a shop

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

PoiBuildernewbie
13 posts

Posted:
Make yourself some finger loops. I'm about to make some from an old pair of jeans, in fact, i'm making a whole set of poi (or more) from them. Pictures may follow on a different thread.

Finger loop making instructions:

1. get a strip of material 12 inches (30cm) long (and about half an inch wide)
2. lay it out flat and then fold each end of the material to the center. So the two ends are next to each other in the center on the top layer of material and the bottem layer is unbroken.
3. fold it in half. Stitch form one side to the other through all 4 layers of the material about half an inch above the brake in material. You should have two 2.5 inch finger loops at the top and a small loop at the bottom.

Tie your shoe lace through the hole.

If you want to uber stitch it, i suggest that you stich all the way accross and the diagonally back to the side you started from but a bit lower. Then stitch straight accross again so it should now look like Z. The stitch back up to where you started from, so there is an X in the middel; with stiching joining top and bottom corners.

That would make a hell of a lot more sense with a picture but i don't have a digi cam to hand and can't find a clear pic on any shop sites. Hope it is clear enough to follow.

ah ha! Follow the poi mans poi with your eyes, he does the right patern for stitching. imagine the = signs are the material.
=====weavesmiley=

PoiBuildernewbie
13 posts

Posted:
Written by: Munkustrap

Oh, and I was checking the free lessons, and it was describing the best way to hold it was your pointer finger, ring finger, and pinky finger through the loop, with your middle finger ommitted. (Above or below the rest of the fingers?) I was wondering if that had to do with the rubbing... Anyways, keep flinging things around!

Written by: free lessons

The most secure way to hold the strap is to put three fingers through the strap and then drop out the middle finger.

According to my understanding of this, you only want your 1st and 3rd finger in the loops. Your pinky shouldn't be inside the loop. I haven't had any problems with rubbing or blistering holding them with just my 1st and 3rd finger.

As for "above or below":
you want your 2nd finger in the gap between the two finger loops.

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
practice with your fingers in all positions and see what suits

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

MikoSILVER Member
21 posts

Posted:
...and if you are not into sewing finger loops, you can go buy a couple of short dog leashes for the straps and chain!

"Don't be silly, everbody knows it's Turtles! Turtles,All the way Down!" unknown attendee of Stephen Hawkings/Kip Thorne Lecture.(used by Terry Pratchett too)

SniperBRONZE Member
Snoochie-boochie-noochies!
663 posts

Posted:
joypads, mice (not the lil furry things), rats (the scabby furry things).

Never mind have a lemonBRONZE Member
7 posts

Posted:
i have a pair of home made poi that are not sox they are (in my oppinunon) a lot prettier and can be used for performance as well as parctice. The are basically a bean bag (every1 can make them shame on you if you can't) with 4 ribbons (2 blue 2 pink on mine) attched on and then a thick cored the othe side of the bean bag with a curtain ring and straps on the end. Okay they may not be amazing but they are great all round poi i learnt 2 poi on them and have used them in day time per formances e.g busking. For bigger night perfrmances i use home made glow poi see the make your own glo poi forums.