Page:
Free Tibetnewbie
7 posts

Posted:
What is the most impressive move you can do? At the moment mine is the 4-beat windmill or 4-beat corkscrew =)

Non-Https Image Link

EDITED_BY: Free Tibet (1121990907)

kepki2003Member
34 posts

Posted:
An isolation is where the poi rotate in the middle of them selfs instead of at your hand. https://www.feuershow.de/
for examples of nice isolations (look under tutorials, and adanced poi moves.) My greatest 'move' or whatever is the isolate 5beat weave(forward and reverse.) While I have been spinning here and there I try to get comment on my spinning about what looks good and what doesnt, and I have only gotten good comments about the isolate, infact, thats the thing most people point out when they comment on my spinning. When its done right and the poi are rotating at the other had (looking like im just moving them and not 'spinning' them or appling force,) it looks AMAZING.
-Kepki

Spin More Poi!!!

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
-start
-independent spinning
-partial arcs
-circles
-flowers
-fountains
-log arms
-buzzsaw
-Isolate
-intime
-follow time
-butterfly
-split time
-corkscrew
-buzzsaw
-hyperloop
-still
-stop

-emotion in a motion smile,

:R

POI THEO(R)IST

RonopotamusGOLD Member
addict
412 posts

Posted:
Well it turns out that my most impressive move is the BTB hyperloop pirouette vortex! wink

VORTEX!

Don't bolt your door with a boiled carrot...

Firefly )O(BRONZE Member
2 posts

Posted:
Well...isolation in dance means that one part of your body is doing one movement, while other parts of your body is doing something totally different. So maybe an isolation is when you are doing a wrap with one area of the body while spinning with the other? Takin' a guess here...but I am pretty sure that is what it means.

Arty FartyBRONZE Member
I wear yellow on monday
551 posts

Posted:
Tawney, you couldnt be more wrong, especially if you had actually looked at the posts describing what an isolation is.

FREE TIBET, you look very much like a guy who i did foundation with. are you simon from photography?

probably not.

ive just nailed the 4bt windmill, and loving it.

my hyperloops need toning up, and isolations still mock me.

my favourite move is still 3bt/5bt into reverse weave. wink

You'll find me on the dance floor

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
Isolation
From Wikipoidia

A style of spinning where the center of rotation is somewhere along the poi itself rather than at part of your body. There are different places where the center of rotation can be, but isolation on its own refers to the centre being halfway between the poi handle and poi head.

POI THEO(R)IST

Skittishmember
64 posts

Posted:
I can spin them in a circle, i rock...

So what your saying is, if I take just ONE more pill...

Sporkyaddict
663 posts

Posted:
I managed to figure out how to do a Buzzsaw to Butterfly transitiony thing... The sad thing is that I can't get into butterfly normally. I guess I need to work on that.

Have faith in what you can do and respect for what you can't

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
There is a big story how to get to butterfly when both Poi goes same dirrection and vice versa.Normaly is inpossible becase

Poi keep it's direction.

There is group of fundamental families, that can help you to bypass it
such as:
Wrap
Still
Pendulum

light,

POI THEO(R)IST

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
granted, you can change from butterfly to weave and back by 'forcing' the poi into the correct direction without stopping them. However, this is detrimental to flow, which in my opinion is the essence of poi

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

QuadDamagemember
130 posts

Posted:
My most impressive move is probably a pop - wallspin or maybe a double leg.

Unfortunately, these have nothing to do with poi. With poi, I can only do simple stuff, like fountain or corkscrew.

fNiGOLD Member
master of disaster
3,354 posts

Posted:
i managed to get them split time biggrin ubblol

kyrian: I've felt your finger connect with me many times
lou kitten: sneaky little meatball..
ezz: please corrupt me more

JohnRocknewbie
7 posts

Posted:
I hit myself in the groin once

Everyone was pretty impressed i didn't pass out or singe da nuts

Whatsa matter for you??

morti666cianBRONZE Member
17 posts

Posted:
My favourite move is called the rodeo. I'd like to say I invented it, however someone probably did it first as I have only been doing poi sinse xmas. You start by doing the weave with one foot infront of the other, you then put one poi between your legs and keep it spinning, the other poi is swung in circles like a lassoo above your head. You then spend agers riding the low spinning poi around the place shouting meaningless cowboy phrases like Yee-Haw, youy dirty varmant and WHISKY!!!Best wearing chaps and cowboy hat for full efect!

I got a vid of poi on my homepage!have a look and tell me what u think!!

likwidSILVER Member
53 posts

Posted:
well.. my new personal favorite 'most impressive move' would have to be this one [that, as far as i know, doesnt have a name]...

floor plane hyperloop above my head, down in front of my face + between my arms, turn and it comes out as a wall plane buzzsaw.

SprocketGOLD Member
140 posts

Posted:
Likwit, can I get a video of that?

hm, pinecones, my favourits!

likwidSILVER Member
53 posts

Posted:
--*edit*-- i think i'll call this the 'waterfall' wink --*edit*--

sure sure..

once i get a camera (hah.. sry =X )

heres a better description, tho..

--corkscrew, w/ the poi goin counterclockwise (you can probably do it clockwise, but this is the way i learned it first.. its whatever smile ).

--right after you bring 'em above your head, and before you go back down, get your arms straight up and down, and go into a hyperloop, then bring it down (below your head) + let it untangle (still in floorplane). once you get this down, move on to the next step..

--start to bring your right arm down a bit while leaving your left in the same position. this will bring the poi (still in a hyperloop) between your arms.

--imagine you have a wheel spinning on a stick (which is going right through the center of the "wheel").. you're going to be turning the stick and bringing it down so its horizontal (bringing the hyperloop from floorplane to wallplane) while still between your arms.

--theres lots you can do at this point... you can just take it down without turning your body (ends up as a forwards buzzsaw), or turning your body anywhere from 90 - 180 degrees, which will put you in a reverse buzzsaw.

hope that helps smile
EDITED_BY: likwid (1128975507)

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
Pendulum Weave - Almost all moves using independent spinning technique

POI THEO(R)IST

likwidSILVER Member
53 posts

Posted:
Written by: Richee

Pendulum Weave

^ explain yourself! wink biggrin

thatliagalSILVER Member
4 posts

Posted:
Because I heretofore have been unable to do isolations and I still can't translate hyperloops from my sock poi to my chains, I'd have to say that my most impressive (to me, because it's just such a random thing that is actually *impressively* easy to learn) move would be where I'm in fowards butterfly, I go down onto my back and then switch to one-handed butterfly, hold and then stand up, keeping the one handed butterfly floor-plane over my head.

VampyricAcidSILVER Member
veteran
1,286 posts

Posted:
the move i just learnt, a reverse 4 beat butterflytime thread the needle

Proudly Owned By The BMVC

Are You Sniffing My Mitten?

Suibomaddict
577 posts

Posted:
Written by: thatliagal

Because I heretofore have been unable to do isolations and I still can't translate hyperloops from my sock poi to my chains, I'd have to say that my most impressive (to me, because it's just such a random thing that is actually *impressively* easy to learn) move would be where I'm in fowards butterfly, I go down onto my back and then switch to one-handed butterfly, hold and then stand up, keeping the one handed butterfly floor-plane over my head.

Heh.. funny thing is that it's that move (butterfly on back, let alone the one-handed stand-up variety) that'll impress an audience. Moreso than isolations and hyperloops. Gets em every time from what I hear.

Definition of poi- A Hawaiian food made from the tuber of the taro that is cooked, pounded to a paste, and fermented.

Ahnold discussing poi - "It is naht a toober!"

morti666cianBRONZE Member
17 posts

Posted:
ooooooooo I just learnt behind the back threading the needle properly, i can also do behind the back buzzzsaw!!

I got a vid of poi on my homepage!have a look and tell me what u think!!

jaeroSILVER Member
your new best enemy
246 posts

Posted:
throwing my arms above my head and letting the music take control get's the audience I've found. chaos rocks. also.... for people who spin themselves. I huge variety of ways in and out of butterflies gets them. one way is: out of a corkscrew, from a 2 bt or a 22 bt... it does not matter. when your arms are above your head, palms facing eachother, and the poi are straight out from your knuckles, notice that they would be moving opposite directions if the were on your sides. so you switch the planes, one to either side of your body instead of both above your head, then merge them together on one sde of your body. voila, butterfly. that is one of many transitions that are so called "impressive"

I'll get there too late if I shorten my stride, I'll get there too soon if I find me a ride, I'll never move forward if I try to hide this path that I've troden one step at a time.

JonnyRokBRONZE Member
Look! I'm Darth Bunny!
446 posts

Posted:
I do this pretty easy move where you start in a windmill, then go into a giant windmill and as your arms are sticking straight out vertically to the sides you stop for a second letting each poi do one rotation then go immediately into this single giant pirouette thing and from there you can either move directly into a weave/flower/whatever you want.

Do what you want coz a pirate is free,
You are a pirate!
Yo ho fiddle dee dee, being a pirate is alright to be,
Do what you want coz a pirate is free,
You are a pirate!

BrettStarPLATINUM Member
old festy hand
765 posts

Posted:
mine would have to be a split time 6bt long-arm short-arm outwards isolated thread the needle... with a smile of course... tongue

VampyricAcidSILVER Member
veteran
1,286 posts

Posted:
i like my 6btTTN

Proudly Owned By The BMVC

Are You Sniffing My Mitten?

raveonnewbie
1 post

Posted:
i learned a well phat move behind the back weave and buzzsaw together

fire puppyBRONZE Member
69 posts

Posted:
anti spin butterfly flower or weave

the Only good way to quit smoking is to cut your arms off, but then how would you drink coffee?

MuskelungeGOLD Member
55 posts

Posted:
Judging from some comments when I was spinning at a recent dance, people were most impressed by the changing sizes of circles. It's sort of ironic that we go through all this trouble to learn all sorts of technical moves, and the thing that really confuses onlookers is when we wrap the poi around our hands a little bit.

The Guide is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate.

Page: