Page:
TinklePantsGOLD Member
Clique Infiltrator, Cunning Linguist and Master Debator
4,219 posts

Posted:
were they home made sock poi or did you buy your first pair?
I cut the legs off my 4yr old's stripey pink cotton tights. they work brilliantly.
what? she'd grown out of them! Well she would have soon, haha

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

partypSILVER Member
20 posts

Posted:
i made my first ones with a sewing machine...
they had pink and purple tails...
i wish i hadn't sold them frown

Arty FartyBRONZE Member
I wear yellow on monday
551 posts

Posted:
i ahem.... bought mine redface and now there trashed from drunken parties. Ah, i wouldnt have had it any other way.

You'll find me on the dance floor

squarexbearSILVER Member
....of doom!
585 posts

Posted:
an ex-boyfriend bought me my first ones.
they're weird and i've never found anything like them - rubber 'trumpets' (best way i can think to describe them) with yellow streamers/tails on chains. they're heavier than most practise poi and move really nicely *hugs them* but they're kinda dying now..i've had them a few years.

ZauberdachSometimes sword wofter
199 posts

Posted:
they were one of my flatmates that she made from an old jumper

IMPORTANT: Any views or opinions are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of a sane person.

"just get the f**k on with it and make me the anti-christ already!"

DarthMeauxThe artist formerly known as Phae'xorl.
145 posts
Location: South-East Ohio (the foothills of the Appalacian M...

Posted:
Made mine from a pair of grey socks with tennis balls in them....

"...heaven is ordering a six piece chicken nugget and getting seven...and a switchblade."

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
My first poi was fire poi that I bought in Brisbane.

I didn't light them for 3 months, but by then I was more used to the weight.

Still have them, although rather modified, still love em ubblove

Getting to the other side smile

kermitoverlord and maggot king
171 posts

Posted:
made my first set. tennis balls and lanyard. wrapped in 5 mil of electrical tape. they hurt but theyre very good to practice with

welcome back to kermits mad land.

wont you join my teaparty.

mtbeerGOLD Member
ARRRR!
529 posts

Posted:
Mine were a sweet set of fire poi won at an X-rated simon says contest. biggrin I still use the heck out of them.

"My skin is singed but it heals my heart and with glowing pride I'll wear my scars." -Davey Havok

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
Mine were juggling balls in sandwich bags tied onto some string.

They didn't last very long (one having a high speed collision with concrete smile ), but they lasted the couple of days it took for hop to deliver my brand new cable and tube core poi.

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

racingkitty69BRONZE Member
35 posts

Posted:
All I had available in the field were some 550 cord (a type of nylon string the Army uses for stuff) and a bunch of chem-lights, so I took the idea from someone I worked with and put a cluster of 4 chemlights (taped together with clear tape) on the end of each string of 550 cord. Kinda heavy, but it worked weavesmiley

Helen

Though I fly through the valley of death, I shall fear no evil, for I am at 80,000 feet and climbing.

Ravers don't stumble and fall, we trip and roll!!!

Adya MiriyanaGOLD Member
*slou?
6,554 posts

Posted:
i think mine were the rainbow ball things i bought in the city, and tied shoelaces to them.. quite pretty, but way too light!..

FoxInDocsSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,848 posts

Posted:

mine are glowbug ones... they're very light... and i've decided i don't much like the shape of them, but they look ok.... i made some out of stockings and socks the other day, but they're too light too, i think i'll put some rice in them....

"i am exotic, and must keep my arms down" - Rougie

"i don't understand what penises have to do with getting married" - Foxie

LyraSILVER Member
spiny norman
314 posts

Posted:
my first were a set i made that were almost entirely paper-- paper string with a ball of newspaper on the end with a plastic bag over them ubblove, they lasted longer than you would expect considering that there were made of paper, they would of lasted even longer too if my cat hadnt chewed trough one and if my brother and dad hadnt broken the other one frown

if you think that our kiss was all in the lips, come on you got it all wrong man, and if you think that our dance was all in the hips then, oh well, do the twist -The White Stripes

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
I bought my first poi at V-Festival in staffordshire last year.

Well, technically they are masive flags. They look really cool (especially in the festival 'haze') but are pretty difficult to do complex tricks with due to their size.

Non-Https Image Link

SNOOPoiCarpal \'Tunnel
3,380 posts

Posted:
my first poi were a set of fire chains my mummy made for me. they died frown but she made me new ones biggrin now i have pink sock poi biggrin

THWACK!!!!
Liz_Ard: Ouch!
SNOOPoi: Thats just not the sound of someone doing it right!

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
My first set was a set of fire poi...

before that I used to practice with my girlfriends poi whenever she left them at my place...

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
my first set was made with ribbons and glow sticks.....then i bought some cobra poi

VampyricAcidSILVER Member
veteran
1,286 posts

Posted:
i got my first poi about 3 weeks ago, they are pretty pink and black tails, perfect and beautiful!!! now i have 3 pairs, my pink and blacks, my practice socks and my fire poi *Hugs multiple poi*

Proudly Owned By The BMVC

Are You Sniffing My Mitten?

HeadSwimGOLD Member
...curiously lost
580 posts

Posted:
My first set were a bought set from the Glasto 2001 festival. They were kinda like squarexedge describes with the tubey plasticy bit that weighs quite a lot. They had 4 ribbons attatched to the ends of each head. I still have them though I don't use them now as the come keen and I have made my own much better set to play with. smile

*runs off to play with the poi some more*

Nothing is easy.......until you can do it! biggrin

NoddyToe Poking Bad Boy
2,865 posts

Posted:
my first go was on my mates fire ones

you learn quicker on fire he said

Remember.........YOU LOSE!!!

IfritBRONZE Member
The GF of HoP
492 posts

Posted:
My first pair i remember the like it was yesterday. Black football socks stolen from my brother with a cup full of rice in plastic bags for heads. Heavy as hell but they made for a steep learning curve.

fire leads to creation

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
lol ifrit

My first pair are my Spargo's practise Poi (baby blue coloured) bought from ebay! (wooo ebay!) they took five days to arrive couse they guy went on holliday I was dyeing to get them, lucky for me royal mail didnt screw up as usuall.

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

LadayBRONZE Member
75 posts
Location: In UK for now, but born an lived in ZIMBABWE and S...

Posted:
My first ever own poi.. i stole my brothers set!! (I hope he doesn't read this post,if u r reading this...Sorry!)
Bought my own last week waiting for them to be delivered! I'm so excited!

SebPenguin of Mass Destruction and Tricky Bugger to the court of Claire the Askew
643 posts

Posted:
I got some stripey toe socks out of the washing basket and put juggling balls inside, the socks are still going but I've changed the balls for bounce ones cos I wanted the fancy looking balls to juggle with. They leave round lines in the air. smile
I think these are the first poi I've kept together and owned myself for any length of time, the first ones I *used* were tails poi of inordinate length lent to me by Paul the Enormous and Cool who gives good hugs, and that was at this year's Tasmanian Circus Festival. I think the first pair of poi I put together were from near felted red explorer socks, one of which I'm wearing now. smile

Chucks nuns
Property of mynci and blu_valley, and proud of it.

Lucas Amember
41 posts

Posted:
My first poi were bought in thailand on the full moon beach. There were lots of travelers and thai performers there. This was where I saw my first fire perfomance there and I felt like a little boy in a candy store. I was so magical and amazing! I bought a set of training poi shorty afterwards!

Hanzveteran
1,328 posts

Posted:
I borrowed a friends at any chance I could get.
Then I made a pair using a pair of flight socks, and plastic bags made into a ball... .but they were too short, and someone borrowed one of the "balls" and lost it

Then there were my electro glo poi, which I didnt like, then my tail poi

FireByNiteSILVER Member
Are you up for it??
349 posts

Posted:
first set for me was a "traditional" set of maori poi given to me by some family friends when I was a kid, I've been fascinated with poi (normal & fire) ever since. They fell apart years ago though so now I have my fire ones & make practice ones out of newspaper, plastic bage & string..... work well for practising wraps etc smile

Are you up for it?
wink;)

PsyriSILVER Member
artisan
1,576 posts

Posted:
My first ones I bought at anti-gravity in leeds... I literally kept knocking the stuffing out of em but the streamers were cool

aquilus-pandoraBRONZE Member
1 post

Posted:
my poi came from mr christmas.... damn there great! Im slowly getting better with them although yesterday i did burn my stomach at a party :S my bad...

LadayBRONZE Member
75 posts
Location: In UK for now, but born an lived in ZIMBABWE and S...

Posted:
My poi were delivered this morning! Bright Pink Fluffy ones and the glow sock poi.... the addictive!!

Page: