Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > choreographing or freestyling

Login/Join to Participate

TinklePantsGOLD Member
Clique Infiltrator, Cunning Linguist and Master Debator
4,219 posts

Posted:
what do you do when your spinning, plan your moves or spontaneously twirl?

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

marcoenthusiast
328 posts

Posted:

For the profressonal shows I put on, i generally try and Choreograph everything, or nearly everthing at any rate, with individual set peices / freestyle etc, this only tends to work though if you are able to reliably get a troup of performers together for regular rehearsal sessions, otherwise it tends to look a mess.

mark

tadpoleGOLD Member
enthusiast
200 posts

Posted:
I've tried choreography, but think that unless you put a huge amount of practice and effort into it to get your timing perfect it ends up looking really amatuerish, so freestyle is the way forward for me.

Don't worry, be happy...

ShuBRONZE Member
Retro Fyre Wizzard
538 posts

Posted:
i tend to freestyle whenever i dance... Even at group performances, we freestyle around each other... i agree with both marco and tadpole, unless you have a group that are well practiced together and on similar skill levels, its very difficult to choreograph even just one scene.

Ice-E FyreStorm are getting to a point now where we are looking at specific choreographs and sequences.

From my side... It's about time! ubblol

Choreographing and group performances certainly have their value, but are difficult to pull off professionally!

Regards hug

Shu
(Ice-E FyreStorm - Group Manager & Performer)

You know those people your parentals warned you about?... I'M ONE OF THEM! ubbloco
Yes, i do bite!!

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
I highly recommend Choreographing even if you almost always freesyle anyway...

You will work out combinations you wouldn't normally do. It will look better if you imagining what you will do by observing the energy each move creates.

You will improve your body movement too but the biggest improvement I noticed is with throws.

My favouirite piece is a load throws, underlegs BTB with half pirouettes and pirouettes with out missing beats.

My favourite combinations took ages to get solid even though I could do the individual moves easily, because of the accuracy and the intention in each move of your poi and body.

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.