UnmitigatedlyVirilenewbie
3 posts

Posted:
I've been spinning staff since mid January, and now I'd like to learn some contact moves. However, my knowledge of them is limited to a few videos a downloaded through this forum (matrix moves and stuff like that). Could anyone give me some pointers for starting out, and maybe direct to some especially informative videos or websites? Thanks.

LavatwilightGOLD Member
old hand
834 posts

Posted:
look for Mcps non definitive guide to contact staff, her site is brilliant https://void.printf.net/~meghan/
is what you want!

Drawings by chalk minds, strech between the stars

Kyle Mclean-
Contact without dance is like sex without wiggling.
A) it does feel as good
B) it does not look as good on film

Mags The JediGOLD Member
Fool
2,020 posts

Posted:
ditto Meg rocks my world. biggrin

"I believe the cost of life is Death and we will all pay that in full. Everything else should be a gift. We paid the cover charge of life, we were born."

Bill Hicks, February 1988

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
best advice is understand the moves completely so that you are in control of them all the way through the motion

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Interesting comment Ben, and one that touches on the spectrum of approaches to spinning/staff:
the 'moves' approach ( london style/planes/analysis/ control)
And the
'follow the roll' approach of adapting to the momentum/magic of it all ( you've seen Kyle, you know what I mean!)

And creative reality which as usual is somewhere in the middle!

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
first you must learn the way before you can realise that it was wrong, only with perspective can you see how much more there really is. i would describe kyles style as more than follow the roll as he has responsive intention

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

ed209Ed: geek, staffer, past participle
122 posts

Posted:
Meg's site rules! biggrin If only I could watch the monitor while practicing. Cursed light fixtures!

I've only started doing contact staff last week - I''m finding that a good place to start is to get to a point where you can do the basic wraps (neck, shoulder, elbow) in your sleep and then expand to some basic tricks from there like a roll up the arm or a NES (can't do the first S).

And I like the 'understanding the moves' school of thought - lets me troubleshoot if things don't work.

T&BBRONZE Member
Me
607 posts

Posted:
you don't want to start doing contact it's rubbish all of it. personally i'd just focus on spinning it faster. biggrin

Maybe I should change this too something abit nicer, humm no I still think your all Ccensoredt

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
ditto

and forget about planes too. in fact i think its the most fun if you just light one end and then swing it all over the place randomly.

ait no... thats poi.... *runs*

Love is the law.

KatPSILVER Member
Muddy fingernails
505 posts

Posted:
Be prepared for bruises!

Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!

KITTENS!!!!

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
OK I am officially bowled over.... just watched the videos that were posted recently here of Baton twirlers doing some seriously high speed and tricky CONTACT routines. What MAD moves (not to mention responsive intentions wink nice phrase Ben) the sheer speed is incredible... like the difference between sockypoi and glowies.... ( hmmm there;'s an idea,,, anyone think glowstringing is different to... oh never mind)

Plus pointy toes and cheesy costumes!!!!

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

Hubert_CumberdaleSILVER Member
[psylocibin fingerbobe].
479 posts

Posted:
Another vote here for megs site. Those videos are the best resource I've seen anywhere on the net.

yoniGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,099 posts

Posted:
megs site is awesome. i could barely do contact a week ago now after that site i can already do all the easy tricks and about 3 or 4 hard ones.
and to people who say contact is pointless i say b####ks to you it's what half of staff is about meditate

UCOF "evolution: Poi -> stick -> hoops -> devil stick -> juggling club -> juggling ball -> crayons."

Supergroovalsticprosifunkstication
In other words, it's the thumps bump

Kyle McLeanBRONZE Member
Living it up
363 posts

Posted:
Erm, if you ever get a chance to see T&B playing I think you will quickly come to the conclusion that that post was a joke. You would also get to see some ubblovecontact. Just making fun of the French maybe wink

Contact without dance is like sex without wiggling.
A) it does feel as good
B) it does not look as good on film