Forums > Beginner Staff Moves > which of these staff should I get?

Login/Join to Participate

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
Hey guys, sorry to post yet another which staff thread!

Ok, I'm a complete beginner to staff, I do poi and other things but I'd like to have a go. (This is spurred on by watching crouching tiger hidden dragon for some reason!).

I want a basic practice staff, Im short- 5foot 4 (162cm), and I've no idea what style of staffing I would like to do as I've never tried! So I've found these staff online and opinions would be greatly appreciated!

https://www.firetoys.co.uk/cgi-bin/acatalog/Practice_staffs.html

I was particulary looking at the bouny contact staff in 97cm or 120cm (although I'm not too keen on the decoration!), short or medium holographic staff, or the luminous sparkle practice staff, or any others on that page that might be good. I'm looking for imput on length etc, or any links to others that might be good, bareing in mind i'm in the UK. I'm kind of looking for non-fire as I'm terrified of my fire poi as it is and I don't want to buy a fire staff to learn on and wreck the wicks.

Thanks guys!

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
I like these UV Prismatic- Practice Staff - Long - Pink cos of the uv... but the colours.. jeez... talk aboot tastless

These are the best imo Holographic Practice Staff - Long

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
I like "DIY" aka '"Do it yourself" , they are the best smile :R

POI THEO(R)IST

10,530 posts

Posted:
wink that to... my fire staff was homemade.. and it still looks bloody marvelous wink

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

jigBRONZE Member
1 post

Posted:
just a quick note to add, I am for the first time making a fire staff. This is proving to cost about a third the price of buying one. I have found some advice here https://www.oddballs.co.uk/com_advice_firestaff.html
useful... perhaps you will too!

grinning manically at strangers

Ninja67BRONZE Member
3 posts

Posted:
I'm new to Poi. In fact, I don't even know what "poi" means. But I do have martial arts experience with the staff. Since I'm not a poi person, yet, I can't offer suggestions on which staff to try, but I can offer the following.

When it comes to a martial arts staff...
1. You generally want a staff that is taller than your shoulders but shorter than you.
2. The lighter the staff, the faster you can spin it, but there is such a thing as too light in my opinion. Visit a martial arts supply store near you and hold a few in your hands to see what kind of weight fits you best.
3. Don't get the fanciest and most expensive one right away. You'll drop it plenty of times while you are learning and you don't want to mess up a pretty demo staff during practice.
4. If you are going for the "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" martial arts look, there are two basic types of staves. One is the japanese bo which is the same thickness from end to end. It is generally heavier and more difficult to use for fancy stuff. It is designed more for actual combat. The chinese style staff is tapered on the ends so that it is thickest in the middle and tends to be much easier to spin, throw, etc.

Ninja67

P.S. I just bought Sage's video on staff from Home of Poi. I'll post a review if you want. I haven't seen it yet, but I suspect I'll learn quite a few tricks from her.

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
i tried to get into marital arts but the minister said we weren't of consenting age...
so I'm just friends with Liv Tyler.

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

greddyfirebratBRONZE Member
87 posts

Posted:
why spend needless money on these staffs that will eventully be lost broken or put down and never picked up again i think there is to much "flashyness" to twirling today i think eveyone needs to sit down and think WHY are we spending money on usless stuff that isnt desiable i,m not getting angry at anyone it just eludes me why you go out and buy a "practice staff" i mean isnt the broom handle good enugh i mean these staffs noadays are flashy but they look good dont get me wrong but i dont see why you use flashy staff practicing moves when its GOING to get dropped and bent warped ect my point is i,m just simple like this is it wrong grouphug thanks for your time guys

EDITED_BY: greddyfirebrat (1115877417)

fire is a living thing it can breath and it eats so respect the fire

10,530 posts

Posted:
i just use my firestaff as a practice on shrug cors, the wicks can wear out faster, but meh

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
yeah, looking forward to that review ninja boy!

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

TheApprovingNinjaFrom the Ashes of a Ninja Rise THE HIPS OF RAGE
371 posts

Posted:
there are two staffs that are worth buying in my opinion you can either get whats called a steve staff, oddballs sell them or if you can track down mushy pea steve at a convention you can get them cheaper off him in person, the only other place that I know of is the oddballs in camden
steve makes gorgeous heavy contact staffs and is one of the founding fathers of contact
the other people are tepooka toys https://www.tepooka.org

these are lighter than steve staffs but the balance is set just right so they still feel good when rolling around your body

I wouldn't buy a practice staff, just tie some socks over the ends to keep your wicks nice and fresh, the weight of the wicks does make a difference and makes life much nicer

happy staffing

Viva UGLY STAFF

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
i agree with steve, those are two of the best staff types around
i would add one more to that list, which is a fairy ben staff, but as he is now in oz you have little chance..............

Step (el-nombrie)

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
In terms of making your own staff, I made one in about half an hour, and for under a fiver.
I went to Focus, (DIY store) got some 3/4 inch wooden dowel, cut it to an inch above my shoulder.
Then got some insulation tape (black looks best) to mark out a 1 and a 1/2 foot grip. You know those rubber things that go on the ends of walking sticks? Got two of those, and cut holes through them so they slid to the ends of my grip (and stayed there). Then I simply got two rolls of Linen bandages and wrapped them round the ends in place of wicks.
I then painted the exposed wood green.

And there you have it! A practice staff (wooden ,cos no-one stocks aluminium anymore) for about £5-6. The only downside is that you can't actually set fire to it, but I'm working on it!

After much consideration, I find that the view is worth the asphyxiation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

KatPSILVER Member
Muddy fingernails
505 posts

Posted:
Homebase (another DIY store) sell aluminium poles. Check the fixtures and fittings section, usually sold as wardrobe rails or shower curtain rails. Not too pricey and in various lengths, which are easily altered with a hacksaw.

I bought my nice sticks from tePOOKa. They's lovely they is. (Could have made own, but have far too many other things to do!)

Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!

KITTENS!!!!

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
Lol, Homebase. The one DIY store Penrith DOESN'T have... Bloody typical.

After much consideration, I find that the view is worth the asphyxiation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.