Page:
juusanSILVER Member
39 posts

Posted:
I recently saw a guy at a party spinning with these crazy things that I'd never seen before... he'd constructed poi out of rubber tubing and then slid battery operated light rods into the tubes. the end result was this:

Non-Https Image Link

does anyone know how to make such a set? I was completely entranced, and intrigued by their indoor possibilities. ubblove

..·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

These are the roots of rhythm
And the roots of rhythm remain

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
Looks good - I understand what you mean now too smile

Cake or Death?

filthy 23BRONZE Member
136 posts

Posted:
Written by: drakematrix

some guy in the club I go to was selling the multi-colored streetlights for 5 bucks each last night. They may not have been the exact brand, but they look identical. Mine do have that "trance mode" they are talking about. all of the other settings they have are pretty much worthless for spinning, because they are too slow to make a clear pattern while spinning. I do think they should make a slow fade between colors, where they don't go out. That would make for some nice effects.

but they are EXTREMELY fragile. I completely destroyed one and split a second. I bought a third so I could keep playing. I reccomend that you make certain modifications to them to make them more durable. I made some changes to mine, and I'm hoping to give them a test tonite and see how they perform. first, the triangle ring that holds the stick to it's lanyard is quite weak, and it doesn't withstand the centrifugal force of spinning. I went to Dick's sporting goods, into their fishing section, and picked up a set of split-rings to use instead.

Also, to protect the sticks themselves, I went to Lowes and bought a length of 1"OD 3/4" ID vinyl tubing. I am going to slip the sticks inside this tube as a cushion. I suspect that the force will pull the sleeves off, but that can be dealt with by sealing the tubes with silicone aquarium sealant. A small window can be cut in the tubes to allow access to the battery case once it's sealed inside. I'll try to give a report of my results.

I found these "FLASHING LIGHT WANDs" sounds like what that guy in the club was selling, from Oriental Trading Co. You can get a dozen of them for $20 US, comes with the string and lame triangle attachment.

https://www.orientaltrading.com

item # IN-23/183 or search for FLASHING LIGHT WAND

they are super fragile but I put them in the vinyl tube like you all are talking about (it's a tight fit, so I lubed em up with vaseline!) and used the flat head nut/bolt with a small keyring to hook my chains on, works pretty good. Comparable to the neon husky streetlights, fragile but cheap! Yup.
wink

I AM working.

Sargothnewbie
18 posts

Posted:
I actually made a bit of this stuff in my lab (PVC), so I might be able to help with that last question.

As far as stability goes, polyvinyl chloride should not pose any real health threats when heated. Translation: it will not produce excess amounts of poisonous fumes when burned like some plastics are prone to do. Will it melt when you try to solder metal onto it? Given the high spot temperature of a soldering iron, probably. If you have a certain pattern of metal that you wanted to add, consider placing a layer of high temperature resistant epoxy around/on the affected areas. I'm pretty sure some of them dry clear (I plan to use some epoxies for a few projects myself, easy to get and fairly cheap from places like Home Depot).

I personally try to stay away from metalworking of this type, though I have done little of it and can't say I know the best options in that spectrum. The metal bar idea suggested seems to be your best bet without screwing with melting PVC. I might suggest that you talk with your supplier of vinyl and see what you can do about making it thicker, or even sliding one tube into another to double thickness that way, if you have no other options.

I will teach you everything I know, save for my patented drop trick...

drakematrixSILVER Member
Maker of the Cheesecake
174 posts

Posted:
that looks kinda like them, but mine have a green light in them too, and it doesn't look like these ones have it. I did get around to trying the new pieces, and found two things. First the split rings are a far superior attachment, and second, the vinyl tubing I put on the outside flew off before I even got the poi up to speed. I need to find a way to keep the tubing on the equipment without preventing access to the batteries...

What exactly do I have to light on fire to get you to notice me?

drakematrixSILVER Member
Maker of the Cheesecake
174 posts

Posted:
Hey, those flowpoi duos... it asks for the color of streetlights you want. does that mean that they are just making the casings, and you still insert streetlights into them? If so, what makes their casings more effective than the other ones we've been discussing?

What exactly do I have to light on fire to get you to notice me?

juusanSILVER Member
39 posts

Posted:
so what's the deal with streetlights with trip mode? I've heard rumors that they're going to start making them again.

..·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

These are the roots of rhythm
And the roots of rhythm remain

Page: