Forums > Social Discussion > costumes SOME ONE PLEASE ANSWER

Login/Join to Participate

pitmanSILVER Member
addict
544 posts

Posted:
hey every one what a nice day. i love rain. it reminds me of the sun.

any way! i am thinking of doing a poi video. and i also have the carnival coming up which i am organising and was woundering what everyong thinks of costumes.

i got this amazing half face gasmask that i sprayed silver and u will never see me without my hat on but i was thinking something more imaginative. not quite sure what but just looking for peoples opinions really.

good, bad, dont bother, ideas, what they have done or wear.

nice one!!! weavesmiley juggle weavesmiley

EDITED_BY: pitman (1110968948)

DONT DO DRUGS THERE BAD FOR YOU.
SO GIVE THEM ALL TO ME AND I WILL GET RID OF THEM FOR YOU!

KlownyBRONZE Member
Disco Inferno
160 posts

Posted:
i saw one of those 'sage behind the flames' dvd and she had the whole face paint thing going on maybe you can find some srt of tribal or whatever face paint you can throw on then maybe a costume to match, i think you should decide on how you are going to perform then build \your style around the actual performance\...but thats just me

"Only fools are positive! are you sure? Im POSITIVE"

pineapple peteSILVER Member
water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
depending on what your doing, go for the loose baggy pants thing, no top, body painted with somethin hippy along your side, mostly on your back, but going onto your front, the whole wierdly painted face thing works well too. or, dress as a typical clown
cheers biggrin

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

The Tea FairySILVER Member
old hand
853 posts

Posted:
I was at some posh beach party once in Mauritius, and all the waiters and waitresses were completely naked but painted blue from head to toe with silver and gold tattoo-like markings painted over them. It looked fantastic (a bit chilly in Cardiff though!)
Good luck!

Idolized by Aurinoko

Take me disappearing through the smoke rings of my mind....

Bob Dylan

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
First, if you are going to look into paints and make up then please look in Social Chat at the Cosmetics in the Hot Seat thread before you decide.

Secondly, that is a very vague request.
Carnival as in the style that goes with Ringling Bros.?
Carnival as in the lawn fete style?
Carnivale as in Mardis Gras-ish style?

What do you plan on doing there?
Stage? Busk? Strolling?
Glo? UV? Fire?
Poi? Juggling? What types of toys?

What mood/feeling do you want to convey?

How much do you want to spend?

There is *alot* that goes into choosing and creating an appropriate costume.
I make/design costumes and make-up for other performers and could prolly come up with a few suggestions, but will need more to work with.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

SocksBRONZE Member
Arf! Can I have a biscut?
288 posts

Posted:
Costume?

What costume? ubbangel

Socks

I'm weird. Just work through that and we'll all be fine.

"If you are a dog and your owner suggests that you wear a sweater suggest that he wear a tail." - Fran Lebowitz

nearly_all_goneSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
HELLO I AM ANSWERING YOU

Ah, don't capitals look lovely?

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
*a moment off topic*
Socks and Nearly, while I appreciate the sentiment, this is the social discussion. Please post things in these threads that will be useful. Comments such as these are great in Social Chat...'kay? wink Thanks!
*Back on track*

Pele

Flame BoyGOLD Member
veteran
1,508 posts

Posted:
Something with fire on maybe? shrug

AAARRRGGGHHH!!! My giant stick broke!!! In two!!! My stick broke in two!!! ubbcrying

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Written by: Flame Boy

Something with fire on maybe? shrug

No offense, I thought it was a good idea when I started out too, just like wearing black at night and now I am going beg you, please don't do this.

The black costumes do not show the performer at all, and whatever attempts you have to be entertaining, to use body language, etc. are lost. Want examples of this? Watch some of the clips in the COL series.
Black is great for day/high light shows and it is alright if there is a point to it (the story of a widower, for example)

Flame patterns make me cringe. You are working with fire, why are you wearing it? When wearing red, orange and even sometimes yellow the rich vibrance of the real flames is swallowed up by the pattern and the color.

Costumes are so much more than a piece of clothing you put on. They are the first impression an audience gets from you that establishes your attitude, your intention, your character.

Take care!
Pele

Pele

nearly_all_goneSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
At the same time, a lot of people are only going to remember you as "the person with the fire", depending where you're performing. So setting up your intent by wearing flames isn't necessarily a bad plan.

Personally I've seen some great costumes that have flame patterns which I think were really effective. They can be used to highlight certain points on the arms, legs or body when the rest of the costume is black or obscured by the brightness of the flames, and I personally don't feel that material in the colour of flames particularly obscures the bright, burning flames themselves.

Just my opinion.

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

pineapple peteSILVER Member
water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
im with pele, partly.
flames look stupid and well, not good, with fire spinnin round, same with orange n yellow.
i do find red looks good though.
cheers, pete biggrin

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

Sakura_MoonHop's Kitten Jester.
1,803 posts

Posted:
I wear camo...yes *cringe* okay thats the cringing over with
lol
Uhhh i want to wear leather tho...pants and a bikini...my trademark bikini...lol

.:Pink Exocutioner:.

I am Jack's Raging Bile Duct...

Loving you from the deepest part of my loins.

KlownyBRONZE Member
Disco Inferno
160 posts

Posted:
I still feel the performance itself is the medium for the design of your costume

"Only fools are positive! are you sure? Im POSITIVE"

SocksBRONZE Member
Arf! Can I have a biscut?
288 posts

Posted:
Ok, ok, something helpful. I promise.

Costume is the first impact you make on an audience. My puppy costume, for example. You see me in the puppy suit, and there's a few connections you automatically make. Odds are I won't be making a dissertation on Tolstoy. It's a little silly, and it opens your mind up to accepting humor. My 'performance' is based a lot on humor, jokes, and other things that make people smile. So my costume is sort of the permission. The audience can suspend some belief and let a little of their guard down, and I'm allowed to act the part of the clown.

If you wear something a little more professional like a dance skin, it tells the audience that you're expirenced and you know what you're doing. By comparison you wouldn't expect to see a man in full buisness atire and bowler hat to be spinning fire on his lunch break (as cool a picture that would be!). So it all really comes down to what kind of a mood do you visually want to set for your audience?

Costume does not mean that you're good, but if you're good your apparel sets a specific mood. I guess it comes down to the question of do you want to set a mood before you start? In that case, then yes costume can enhance. If you're just having fun, then wear anything you want really.

But I'll keep my spots. It's a way to open up an audience that what I'm doing will be comedic as well as entertaining. I like a light-hearted mood when I'm spinning or juggling. That way when (not if) I drop I can laugh it off with the audience. And I can make dog jokes all day too.

Socks

(Who just realised that he's probably just repeated Pele's post, but I didn't really read it when I posted... I just replied seriously then red the rest. That's what I get for posting when tired...)
EDITED_BY: Socks (1111321885)

I'm weird. Just work through that and we'll all be fine.

"If you are a dog and your owner suggests that you wear a sweater suggest that he wear a tail." - Fran Lebowitz

Amber Flamesmember
58 posts

Posted:
Obviously the costume depends on the theme of your show but I think some plain-ish trousers (judo pants maybe... Dyed a colour because if you hit yourself then you don't want black scuffs on white trousers. They are really good material for fire because the canvas is protective)

Then bare chested (if your body's good enough) with body paint and face paint. Maybe something Maori, that always looks amazing and since poi is Maori then quite appropriate. Although I have heard that it is an insult to Maori people to imitate their body tatoos... But they look so good! You might want to read the site 'https://tattoo.about.com/cs/articles/a/maori_tamoko.htm' if you're considering this.

For pictures of Maori tatoos you might want to look at 'https://www.pbs.org/skinstories/gallery/index.html' and go to the gallery link.

Hope this helps!

Axx

Usually me on fire (rather than flames being amber coloured)