ShawnFmember
162 posts

Posted:
Ok... I was thinking about the various discussions of weights... like that lightsticks are lighter and longer. And of people adding lead to their fire poi for even more weight.So... what about no weight at all? I was thinking more of the realm of you know those long ribbons that they use with rythmic gymnastics?What about two of those ribbons, but shorter than usual and one for each hand, perhaps with a strap instead of stick to hold...It seems like you could do poi moves, and then combine it with ribbon moves of making circles with your hands and such.Just a thought anyway... smile

Peregrinemember
428 posts

Posted:
I tried to do this very thing with couple of long silk scarves at a bellydance workshop. didnt work too well because they were so floaty they wouldnt move fast enough to keep away from themselves and they pretty much kept getting tangled up. so you do need a little bit of weight and leverage to get them around. maybe somewhat heavier fabric would work better....Pere

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Same thing happens with the ribbons...the length is where the weight comes in but then they get unwieldy for poi moves. grin ------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir..."I prefer not to go where there is a path but to blaze a new one!"

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Finnmember
341 posts

Posted:
I've tried this too. You can buy long ribbons attached to a stick in toy shops. I've also seen them fairly often at festivals/fairs. Mine is a pretty rainbow coloured one. As Pele said they are pretty unwieldy. You can do very simple moves like chasing the sun and butterflys but anything more complicated than that is almost impossible because of the length of the ribbon.Then again.... the last time I tried this was months and months ago when I was first learning poi. Maybe if I tried it now it might be easier.I'll give it a whirl! (so to speak) smile

Skyemember
33 posts

Posted:
I use these long mylar ribbons called Rainbow Dragons I think. They are about six-feet long with about six quarter inch strands on each. Weight is the key to get them going. I attach one to each end of my staff and then start twirling. I've had best luck with a five foot rattan stick. The length makes it harder for the riboon to get wrapped up around the shaft. Once you get going the ribbons float through the air much like a dragon and is quite hypnotic and beautiful. It's quite cool to do this in the sunshine and in the moonlight as the light relects in really cool ways off the mylar. The ribbons only cost about $4 US I think.Skye