AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Hey all,what moves are there that you think you might be able to do one day, but arent able to even get close to doing now? Stuff you know is *possible* but very hard?I'll start.1) One handed 3 beat weave while doing a one handed cartwheel.- I can do the 1h weave, and I can do the 1h cartwheel, but I cant do em together yet! smile2) weave between legs while doing a cresent / spin cresent kick combo. I can do the kick combo (not as nice as I'd like yet) and I can do the weave, and I can do some between the legs stuff involving turns (ala Malcolms vid) - but I cant string it all together yet...3) Going circular with Buttefly, first at mid level, and then at b/h the head level....never seen it done...but I think it's possible.So what are your dream movs / transitions?Josh

gάrbǿaddict
521 posts
Location: Bristol / London / Norwich / Chennai, India (UK) (...

Posted:
How about one handed thread the needle. he hepeace outgarbo tongue

be excellent to each other: safe:

tkerbymember
30 posts

Posted:
If I can ever learn to do front or back flips then I'd love to incorporate them. A flip while the poi ar at the side with cross follow or through the centre of forward butterfly to butterfly behind the back would be so cool!

dangerboyoriginal member
205 posts

Posted:
I can do the circular butterfly Josh, so it is possible. Looks pretty spank too. I'd have to second garboe witht the flip action. I'm taking gymnastic lessons right now (did my first standing back flip on the tumble track last night) to try and master standing front and back flips and one/no-handed cartwheels. I can imagine what doing those with poi or staff would look like, and it makes my pulse quicken.------------------Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath, fire my spirit

Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath, fire my spirit

joeydmember
8 posts

Posted:
if i could do a standing flip, i would practice on how to incorporate it with strings non-stop till i got it down. a one handed thread the needle would be interesting. haha. the moves that i can do with the butterfly move are beyond most peoples fantasys. smilea one handed triple corkscrew would be interesting...

joey-d--

CAINED-AND-UNABLEmember
214 posts

Posted:
* lying on the back butterfly/while fire breathing.( but i cant actually fire breath)* one handed behind the back weave tongue* one handed weave with two poi in each hand. tongue tongue a little too fantasy? perhaps? but hey!!

bird chicmember
9 posts

Posted:
in the joe derry movie he does this crazy corkscrew and spins while he does this... when i first saw that my chin dropped.. i know it's prolly easy.. but not for me i guess.... but one day....xoxoxox bird chic

ChloeBRONZE Member
54 posts

Posted:
Yeah, i've been considering taking up gymnastics again, i can imagine a pretty fantastic poi routine in the making.Chloe.

Chloe.
-I'm dancing through the fire just to catch a flame-
Paul Weller

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
Shoot, if I could get the 5-beat weave and the circular butterfly (which I think I can visualize, but am not sure), I'd be happy. For at least 3 days. Then I'd want to be able to do something else...

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

tekknogurrlBRONZE Member
90 posts

Posted:
i wanna be able to look like i am walking/ jumping/cartwheeling/backflipping through the poi, very fast-paced, like a gymnastics routine. that's be PHAT.

~K~No matter what you do, one billion Chinese won't care.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Well Kids!All I can say is; if you want to do Gymnastics, the only think stopping you is your own laziness! get off your ass, get into a Gym club and learn the things you want to do! It sounds all basic anyhow (Cartwheels, sults and stuff) you will learn it quickly!Josh

Jeff Duncanmember
140 posts

Posted:
i was a national level diver and all i can say is that helped me aloti was in a bouncing room and had my poi doing back flips and all kinds of junk..it was absolutly awsome (i was also on mushrooms for as a bonus)

o-omember
78 posts

Posted:
fantasy vs fear...i can do the flippie things tho never did gymnastics - may even try it with practice poi. fantasy for me would be to spin two full length meteors like double staff crossed with quad poi. oh yeah what about doin a staff on your feet like the chinese circus people do with all sorts of things?then again, i suppose one day when genetic mods are all belong to us we set up us fingers on our feet smilel8ro-o

joeydmember
8 posts

Posted:
hell yeah jeff

joey-d--

CAINED-AND-UNABLEmember
214 posts

Posted:
until a week or two ago BTB one handed weave was my ultimate move.But yesterday i nailed it so........ whats next? BTB , one handed weave while cartwheel?

Knagimember
397 posts

Posted:
Bump.5 seperate poi on each hand.------------------We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonMost Memerable crowd saying "Hey look that dude's gonna set himself on fire again!"

We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonIt's going to come from a direction you didn't predict at a moment of chaos which you didn't see coming. -- NYC

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
For anyone who can dislocate their shoulder, btb 7-beat.------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Well - I'm pretty sure it's possible, but;Butterfly -> Double release (& catch which is the hard bit) ->Reverse Butterfly and then back again.

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

Whiffle Squeekaddict
416 posts

Posted:
ive always thought direction changes off of walls would be cool...or releases that hit walls and you catch em on the rebound...

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
Hey y'know what would be awesome?! if the peeps on this thread could submit footage of the moves that they've 'nailed' for incorporation into the COL2 video! then we'll all be able to visualise it more easily!!My personal favourite fatasy move tho would involve swedish twins."And that day dawned when Arrakis lay at the hub of the universe with the wheel poised to spin."-from 'Arrakis Awakening' by the Princess Irulan

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

Twirl'N'BurnBooojakasha
121 posts

Posted:
Mmmmmm Marix style fire twirling. grin

Simply an excuse to play with fire.

wulffmember
79 posts

Posted:
my dream moves...taking both poi and doing the stunt under the legs that Jet Li does in Romeo must Die with the fire hose.Kilik fro Soul Calibur's complete kata w/ a fire staff ;)thats it 4 now

wulff

SurlochSILVER Member
64 posts

Posted:
This is with staff...say in your right hand.Bend over, staff travels around single left leg helicoptors below you in left hand, rolls over your back (involves a small throw from ground) then wraps around other leg you had extended in the air on the other side of your body. Stand up, catch it with your right hand. Roll it up arm, back over and down back and finally catch in left hand. Then just for kicks throw it waaay high and catch it.That would rock.

Ní mar a síltear a bítear

“Things may not be as they seem to be”

Bendymember
750 posts

Posted:
With a propeller shaped staff, centre of staff rotating around an axle attached to my belt, ultra high speed palm spin or helicopter - enough to levitate a few cm off the ground.

Courage is the man who can stop after only one peanut

pozeeBRONZE Member
old hand
887 posts

Posted:
i know it is possible, i would love to get about 20 people and interconnect the butterfly in all sorts of crazy ass ways and angles, just for a cool and different picture. i have done it with 5 people, but i want more, and a few staff spinners in there as well. i want to get a huge group of people to make one big statue of fire all connected, all perfectly in time.

anyone got a light?

TomSILVER Member
135 posts

Posted:
Pozee, that's what next Feburary in NZ is all about isn't it!But with your idea, everybody doing split time butterfly 1/2 beat out of time with the two people either side of them, so that four poi meet at the sides each time. Should give the effect of the poi bouncing along the whole circle. That would be cool to see..Tom

pozeeBRONZE Member
old hand
887 posts

Posted:
very true tom, except i intend on getting a whole lot more that just 20 people for that. i can just imagine weaves and butterflies, simple moves, but each poi is in sync with the next persons and the two peole make one move out of one poi each. or huge pyramids of people all doing a butterfly in time with each other. or a big circle where everyone is doing the weave and then like a domino effect everyone turns into a rev. weave or something else.can you imagine like 100 people coming together to make one picture together.

anyone got a light?

Kinudin (Soul Fyre)veteran
1,325 posts

Posted:
Poz, sounds good. All done with Fire Poi too *drool* (That'd be cheeper I guess... cuz glowsticks are $3.50 for two X 20 is $70 and that's only one stick on a string)Kinudin

KaeKaeKEIKImember
4 posts

Posted:
"word" to mai poi boi-------------------kaekae--KEIKI-alwayZ member...-~*KaeKae*~- LuVs YoU!!!mai poi boi gonna beat ur @$$

-kaekae--KEIKI-alwayZ member...-~*KaeKae*~- LuVs YoU!!!mai poi boi gonna beat ur @$$