tenticleenthusiast
275 posts

Posted:
Well, having been sacked within 4 hours of starting a job because of inappropriate attire (shirt, jeans and trainers, despite the fact the jeans were dark grey, had no visible stitching, studs, patches, labels, rips and were not made from denim, and the trainers were dark grey and brown), i wish to pose the following question:

If beauty is only skin deep, then clothing is even shallower. Discuss.

Particularly as the firm's receptionist was inappropriatly dressed for anything except maybe the beach. During Mardi Gras.

--ben

devkevSILVER Member
discoverer of phat and poigling
292 posts

Posted:
what was the job....

and did you speak your mind to them censored

its all about the fun fun fun fun and more fun...

tenticleenthusiast
275 posts

Posted:
Generating graphs and stuff from those market research survey things you always get with electronic goods, with questions like 'tick all the interests you have' (never seen one with a box for poi), and 'which newspaper do you read?'.
And i diddn't say anything, I just laughed and deleted all the stuff i'd done in the morning...

--ben

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
Were you told what to wear before showing up for your first day of work? What were your coworkers (those on a similar level as you) wearing? What sort of attire did you notice when you interviewed with them?

One random question, I thought "jeans" were only made from denim. If they were made of other material, then they are called pants.

Dr_MollyPooh-Bah
2,354 posts

Posted:
eek
if he'd turned up in his pants they really would have had a problem!

(ah the joys of different dialects)

but yes, I thought jeans that weren't made of denim weren't jeans anyway

devkevSILVER Member
discoverer of phat and poigling
292 posts

Posted:
sue them for miss informatiopn and burn there factory to the ground.... round up the masses and head hunt there leader... EMAIL ALL THE NEWSPAPERS... censored RANT RANT RANT ubbloco

or sit back, chill and spend your new found spare time doing poi....weavesmiley

You probably wernt ment to be there and something amazing will turn up next week which you would have missed if they did not sack you .... you will see.... bye

its all about the fun fun fun fun and more fun...

tenticleenthusiast
275 posts

Posted:
I got the job with an agency, and they said 'look neat and tidy' when i asked... and everyone else in the office (except the guy who sacked me) was female and wearing normal jumper and trousers or skirt so i can't really compare.

The first pair of the trousers i got came from Next and said Next Jeans on the label, and were made from twill, but cut in a jeans pattern... four big pockets and a little one, double stitched seams and reinforced belt loops, etc., and they were so much more comfortable than normal trousers i got a friend to make me some more in other fabrics from a pattern called 'jeans 2, narrow leg', so i call them jeans. And so did the guy doing the sacking (who hadn't even ironed the shirt he was in).

--ben

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
If you were not told what to wear, and if you turned up neat and tidy, if you weren't rude and this boss didn't give you a chance to wear something different the next day, you may be able to bring them up for unfair dismissal.

I'm not saying you should sue them, but you might be able to get the job back and at least you would keep your reputation with the agency.

Getting to the other side smile

tenticleenthusiast
275 posts

Posted:
No loss of reputation with the agency, as i was back there within half an hour saying 'i've just been sacked for wearing this. can you believe it?' which they couldn't... and i can't do anthing about unfair dismissal because at any time you can ask a temp not to return for no reason at all because the agency employs temps, rather than the company, so i haven't actually been dismissed. if you see what i mean. but then i'd rather not work there now anyway.

But anyway, why should it matter *what* i was wearing anyway? I don't think i could have managed to look any smarter without wearing a jacket and tie, and as i've got a short body and broad shoulders, jacket and tie makes me looks ridiculous, like a dwarf bouncer on stilts... I could even understand it if it was customer-facing rather than computer-facing, or if i'd had on a shirt with 'white supremacy' or 'f*** you' or even 'guinness' printed on it, but i didn't... A few years ago i had a similar job, except there were clients coming into the office all the time, and no one would have batted an eyelid if i'd come in in a velvet shirt with lace sleeves, leather trousers and spike heel boots. (except one of the girls there, cos we'd have probably been wearing the same outfit...)
I've got a mate who spends about £500 a month on clothes, which get worn a few times and then given away or stuck in a cupboard... I mean, what's the point?

--ben

caz86Twister Fire Starter ridin on a tratter
156 posts

Posted:
Sue the bastards!!

Caz

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Christ, I didn't realise that about temp staff. That's awful. I thought all workers, temps or not, were entitled to basic rights.

Oh well, I suppose everything happens for a reason, so maybe the next job will be perfect for you (and they'll let you wear jeans and a t-shirt to work) biggrin

Getting to the other side smile

FabergGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
My job has some f*cked up dress codes.

We have a business dress policy for most of the year.

But then we have a major annual deadline period in May & June, and another very busy period at year end, i.e. right now. During these busy periods everyone is expected to put in extra hours, sometimes even weekends.

To keep everyone happy, they decided some years back that we would be more comfortable doing overtime in jeans and sweats and so for these periods we can turn up for work looking like anything from Marilyn Manson to Har Mar Superstar, but for the rest of the year it's formal business dress.....

doesn't really make sense to me confused

fair play to you though for deleting all the work you'd done that morning, nice move! wink

My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely smile

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Pictures lisa in a power suit ubblol

Strange the way the rules can vary.

I work in corporate envoirnment. Nine to Five, Five days a week.

No one except the front end sales people wear suits. Everyone is allowed wear whatever they want. Within reson of course. In saying that, there are guys in here wear shorts. Other guys wearing army combats (one of them is our accountant). Girls are most certainly getting away with the most. Last week the HR director was walking around wearing a skirt so short you could see her stocking tops. Incredible.

this includes my director and the vice president of the complany (honestly, he strolls around in wooly jumpers and jeans looking like a total farmer).

My compliments to you on the way you dealt with the situation T&B.

Love is the law.

FabergGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
Written by: ado-p

Pictures lisa in a power suit ubblol

ubblol

it's a dark blue pinstriped 2 piece ubblol

My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely smile

PrometheusDiamond In The Rough
459 posts

Posted:
I've dealt with some pretty stupid dress codes, and I have yet to fully understand peoples obsession with them.

I realize that if you deal with the public, they are going to judge you on your appearance. But that is a social condition that needs to change. I also realize that some jobs do require a certain kind of attire to actually do the job well.

For example, police officers wear uniforms because they need to be easily and quickly identifiable. Fireman or construction workers wear special clothes for safety reasons. In these cases, a dress code is understandable.
But if you're an accountant, and you perform your job perfectly, who cares what you're wearing? Whether you're wearing a suit & tie or a Grateful Dead t-shirt, you're still going to do the job well. In fact, I found that when we had to switch from primarily wearing jeans and t-shirts to dress clothes, we we more uncomfortable and less productive. The dress clothes were distracting to us. And we never even dealt with the public. On top of that, we were graphic designers, which meant it was our job to be creative, and stifling creativity by enforcing dress codes is gimpy at best.

The public is the reason we were forced to go out and buy a whole new wardrobe (which I couldn't afford) and wear clothes (that I didn't like) so I could somehow impress customers (that I never see). It was ludicrous.

I can demonstrate how stupid the public is. I did a lot of experiements in college on psychology. We performed one where my fellow student (dressed in a full suit) walked into the middle of an intersection, and directed traffic. People for the most part obeyed his commands. When I attempted to do the same (dressed in 80's rocker gear), I was ignored, yelled at, honked at, cussed out, and nearly run over. And I was the one with formal training in traffic directing.

Conclusion 1: People will judge you by what you wear. frown
Conclusion 2: People are stoopid. mad2

cool

Dance like it hurts; Love like you need money; Work like someone is watching.

Never criticize someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, when you DO criticize them, you are a mile away, and you have their shoes.

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
Written by: Prometheus

I did a lot of experiements in college on psychology.

that sounds like a whole lot of fun ubbloco
EDITED_BY: MiG (1102697048)

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

tenticleenthusiast
275 posts

Posted:
Written by: Prometheus

We performed one where my fellow student (dressed in a full suit) walked into the middle of an intersection...

ubblol Might have to try that one...

got a new job for monday, and this one just says 'As smart as possible, particularly on your first day. No denim, sportswear, labels, branding or low cut tops.' Sounds easy enough. dont think i own anything with branding or labels, and certainly nothing low cut...

--ben

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
normally on the first day, i wear a white shirt, black pants, and a belt. plus, normally, a nice shiny pair of docs, hair brushed and what not. and a tie folded up in my pocket. works pretty well, normally.

"master"
--FSA

--Rougie

ParafinfairySILVER Member
old hand
845 posts

Posted:
Aren't you supposed to wear a tie round your neck???!!!

Slicing the Loaf as we speak.

I need it..... Trust me!

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
normally. but overdressing is a bad thing, or so they say.

remember the 5 S plan and you'll do well.

shirt, shower, sh*t, shave, shoes.

"master"
--FSA

--Rougie

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
Not in that order I'd hope wink

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
why not? if you wear your shirt in the shower, it gets a wash ubblol

thats why i get dressed in the morning, then have my shower ubbloco

"master"
--FSA

--Rougie

tenticleenthusiast
275 posts

Posted:
naturally. should be shower sh*t on shirt, shave shoes, shimmy.

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
Man that sucks big time.
Screw them. If they're going to be so pedantic about something so minor they're not the sort of company worth your time.

Here's to finding some place that values the sort of thing you can do for them.

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

Bretchenthusiast
247 posts

Posted:
When I worked for the government I had a uniform provided... V. nice...... then changed dept's, and could wear what I want.. now this was a VAT inspector type thing...ooooops sorry.. I do repent... and most people (customers) I met would never have put me down as a VAT man... that made me V. happy.bounce

I've also had the misfortune of working for McTwats (twice), I had to shave off my beard and take out ALL facial piercings or no job ... I was really desperate for money and travelling round Oz had no money whatsoever. Now, they had hair nets... and if I was a sikh where they're not allowed to shave, they wouldn't be able to tell me that.... and they said it was for hygiene reasons with is censored

Personally I hate the whole impression thang-danlge, if I wanted life insurance and it was between a suit or a hippily dressed mess... I'd go for the mess. ubblol

I used to be indecisive, but I'm not so sure now.....

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
"fashion will not last. style will remain for eternity"

thems the breaks tenticle

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley