Forums > Beginner Staff Moves > Me? Gig? Proper PERFORMANCE?!

Login/Join to Participate

roarfireSILVER Member
comfortably numb
2,676 posts

Posted:
There is a 'Live in the park' thing happening on Friday 19th Nov, and I know one person who firetwirls staff, we're not close or anything, but we know that each other firetwirl. He came up to me and asked if I was planning on going to this gig to twirl (was planning to go to the gig anyway) but I mentioned liability, safety etc. He rang the local council and they said we're allowed to do it.

We were just planning on lighting up randomly but now apparently we're part of the show! Like getting properly introduced as the headlining band is setting up! I'm so excited, I've never twirled publicly before...The most people I've performed to is like just a few friends at some parties I have.

I'm worried, because I only know a few moves. (behind the body, under one leg, palm spin, side to side thing) the rest are just random figure 8s and one handed spins but I don't think that's enough...

I don't know the guys ability either. It's going to be really weird twirling with a stranger almost.

Feel free to add any good words and inspiring lines to help me out! Heh, thanks

.All things are beautiful if we take the time to look.

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
hey,

well done on getting the gig. im sure there are plenty of people that will give you much more experienced advice than me as i havent been at this long.

one thing i did find though is that when im nervous i completly lose the ability to nail moves i dont have down solid. So now when i start, i start real simple until i warm up.

Dont worry bout impressing people. its on fire!!!!

Smile!!!! Dont forget to smile.

I've read alot here about performing. The Busking threads are the ones i find most helpful. Theres some great words in them from people in the know. Try a durbs on it and have a look....

well done and the very best of luck

Love is the law.

mo-sephenthusiast
523 posts

Posted:
Yeah, my advice would be don't run off and study new moves - you'll end up with lots of things that you can only just do, and feel that it's a boring routine unless you do them. Or at least, that's what happens to me. Spend time practising what you can do, getting relaxed and fluid, think about beginnings and endings, sequences of moves that go well together, and how to present to an audience.

Good luck! biggrin

monkeys ate my brain

roarfireSILVER Member
comfortably numb
2,676 posts

Posted:
I just believe, well to me, it tends to get a bit repetitive and I certainly don't want to bore anyone by continuously putting it under my leg etc. One thing I tend to usually do is leaving the behind the body til later, because the few family members/friends seem to always go 'oooo' when I do that. I don't know what it's called. Behind the lower back then up behind the neck, like a big circle. Behind the body is the assumption that it's called. Lol.

Presenting myself to an audience? How do you mean? As in, not spinning naked? That's okay...I always spin with clothes on so I don't have to worry about that.

I just don't want to bore them...-sigh-

thanks guys

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
you probably know loads more than your giving yourslf credit for.

spin nice and slow for a while and study the figure of eight. Its got so much variation that for an audience (especially a non firey spinning audience) that it looks like your doing completly different moves.

Height, distance from the body, position of arm, wrist, fingers. They can all have a dramatic effect on the rythym of the spinning. This counts for alot in my book.

Last week i sat hypnotised by Faberge as she lit up a staff for the very first time. I sat hypnotised for about 10 minutes and all she did was figure of eights around her body. It was so smooth and had a really nice flow.

Think about how your body is positioned. Are you steady on your feet, relaxed, having fun? if you are, chances are your presentation is much nicer than it would be otherwise. Some poses look cool no?

and remember

there is no staff....

Love is the law.

roarfireSILVER Member
comfortably numb
2,676 posts

Posted:
There is no staff?

I tend to move heaps when I spin, be it pacing up and down, or just shuffling around with my feet....hopefully that will add effect too.

Also..I need to master the art of 'fireballing/burn offs' whatever you call it. I can flick it up horizontally but it mustn't be quick enough because I don't get the fireball effect....Hmm
EDITED_BY: xabandonedx (1100603736)

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Written by: xabandonedx

There is no staff?

I tend to move heaps when I spin, be it pacing up and down, or just shuffling around with my feet....hopefully that will add effect too.

"There is no spoon"

the matrix smile

You'll do great....

Love is the law.

roarfireSILVER Member
comfortably numb
2,676 posts

Posted:
Post deleted by roarfire

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
You a girl!!!!

*Jees*

forget everything i said above

wiggle.

ubblol

Love is the law.

roarfireSILVER Member
comfortably numb
2,676 posts

Posted:
Yep, i'm a girl

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
nice pics.

love the evil bunny one

Love is the law.

roarfireSILVER Member
comfortably numb
2,676 posts

Posted:
Yeah, donnie darko is the best.

You've got some good ones too. smile

Phellanmember
74 posts

Posted:
I'd say don't worry a huge amount by the crowd-- a lot of people if they have never seen fire performances before are in aw about even the most easy of moves. Even a performance that's poor by your standards is bound to impress some people (most people seem to be impressed by the fire alone. . ). Not that I'm suggesting be sloppy wink Just don't worry so much about it.

Mo-seph and Ado-p are right, just relax and do it slowly and with flow, even the most simple and basic moves can be absolutely amazing with flow (and since you're a girl, some wriggling/hip movement/dance can entrance the crowd wink One of our ladies can just do 2-3 moves and put us all to shame cause she can DANCE!). If you've got some flow going it'll be all fine.

Just remember, since the crowd isn't liable to have seen it before you should be all fine smile So long as you don't burn anything down everyone will love you. hehe. Even if you feel repetative, people still think it's *Very* cool.

roarfireSILVER Member
comfortably numb
2,676 posts

Posted:
Yeah, I highly doubt many people would have seen it. I know I'd be in awe if I saw any form of fire playing.... Hopefully, it will be okay! Thanks everyone.

roarfireSILVER Member
comfortably numb
2,676 posts

Posted:
Oh dear, it's tonight! I'm so nervous! frown

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Good luck hug

Getting to the other side smile

thorFlaming Lesbian
181 posts

Posted:
yes good luck indeed! =]

oh, and if you can't impress them with your list of moves, just go big on the fire. add a dozen feet of wicking to your staff and really freak the fire marshall out ;]

Lights dancing off my skin as chains wrap round it.
Pain is in a little box and I'm so glad I found it.