Ariadmember
66 posts

Posted:
For a long time I'm searching for a staff that is acctualy good for what I'm doing.

I'm coming from the martial arts stuff, and I'm staying there, so the staff I'm looking for is not what I mainly see the juglers using. I don't want it to have kevlar or serius decorations.

I saw some vids of people doing the exact things that I do, and this is what they are using:

https://www.gforcegear.com/details.asp?ID...=&ShowMe=30

I'm not sure if this is the exact one, but it is very similar and I believe it's the same kind.

I know that this staff is good for me, but I have no way to be sure, I live in Israel and the only way I'm going to get this is with my friend that will go to USA in a week.

What is your opinion about this staff? does it worth it?

Do you know any good forums I should ask in?

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
i'll see if i can help you select a bo

it'll change direction and plane very easily, which is exactly what you want for martial arts stuff, and exactly what you don't want for contact or spinning.

but why are you asking here if you want it for martial arts stuff rather than for twirling?

on a final note - Martial arty people i've known who use bo & jo staffs have generally used white oak or red oak staffs, which personally i think are prettier and also less likely to bend than that staff, although it's hard to tell because it doesn't state what it's made out of... chromed aluminium? solid? funny core? hmm it looks suspicious to me and i don't trust it.

These guys have a very silly looking site, but do high quality equipment at a very low price - battle orders

i believe Coleman has a bo from them that he's very happy with.

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
the truthsayer monkey hath spoken.

my bo is 6ft long and tapered so i don't use it to spin with.

not least cos its a stick and i don't really pick up sticks.
or twirl them come to that.

my friend harry has a bo.
its sweet.

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Isn't there really two types of staff for martial arts? One which is solid and doesn't bend, and another which is bendy and classed as a flexible weapon. (silly names like bo / jo / beatin' stick nonwithstanding)

Maybe tapered ones are of the bendy variety... But really, who can tell?

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

Ariadmember
66 posts

Posted:
I am looking for a staff I could spin, similar to the tricks on this website.

Xaeda is using a similar staff (it looks like it)

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Nope!

The grip looks similar, but it's probably actually thin rubber with green aluminium tape underneath or somesuch. Then the silver bits to the side are tube aluminium (probably) and in the advanced vids where you see the whole staff, there are black blobs on the end. This is kevlar wick that has been burned. (I'm guessing) It certainly isn't tapered.

All in all, Xaeda is spinning a firestaff, not a martial arts staff.

Yes you could do all the moves with a martial arts staff. But they would a) Take you longer to learn, b) Be out of plane.

(But then Xaeda is too sometimes... tongue )

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
It's very true that fire staffs look poo if you're not using fire.

extra weight on the ends helps a little bit with spinning, and a lot with contact.
however i often choose to use straight poles without end weight, purely for the clean slightly martial-arty look. You sound a little like thats the kind of look you're going for too.

i reckun a non-tapered bo staff would work just fine
a wooden dowel stuck snugly inside an aluminium\steel tube is similar but shiny ubblove
that staff you're looking at would probably be ok, but not worth the money IMHO

Even when you buy staffs, you'll usually want to add the grip yourself. i've never seen a staff for sale wih a really nice grip on it (due to manufacturing costs probably). You really should have a nice grip, unless you have a blister fetish.

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

DutSILVER Member
lurker
380 posts

Posted:
now if that bo were tapered in the other direction... (fatter on ends. mwahahaha)

anyone seen one of those for sale? Basically a giant tapered devil stick? search time, i guess. wink

-- dut