ItsAllTearsBRONZE Member
57 posts

Posted:
yay ive just about got the BTB weave and im happy but my face hurts alot lol the amount of times i hit my self is countless! but it only took me 7mins to learn from not knowing at all!! which im proud of! biggrin have to show off to Jak now!! you know who you are! biggrin hehehehe ubbrollsmile anyone wanna gimme tips to make it perfect?! i keep hitting my legs after swapping sides about 3 times but other than that i think i got it! woo go me! ubblol

~* so, my love, your laughter is finally turning to tears, and you're begging for more, though the end is getting near *~

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Take steps forward while doing it, so that your back is facing more towards the side the poi are currently on.

IE - If the poi are on your right side, step forward with your right foot and turn your body slightly to the left.

Doing this will insure cleaner planes and less leg smacking.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

FacelessjokerBRONZE Member
enthusiast
249 posts

Posted:
I kind of act like im skiing when i do btb weaves. I bend by legs down and sideways a bit to avoid hitting my knees and my back twists away from my poi. Thats without stepping but stepping is good too. Especially if you have skewif balance. I know i do hehe.

Ariadmember
66 posts

Posted:
move your hands farther from your back, and not so close as the infront weave.
I think it even looks better, but I never saw myself doing it so i cant tell S:

meepSILVER Member
344 posts

Posted:
for me, the thing that helped was keeping my arms high behind my back smile

Good luck!

"But what would you do with a brain if you had one?"

Dorothy Gale

ItsAllTearsBRONZE Member
57 posts

Posted:
cheers for the tips guys! iCoN your stepping thing is sure to help me, i keep hitting my legs dammit! ubbrollsmile

~* so, my love, your laughter is finally turning to tears, and you're begging for more, though the end is getting near *~

OXTOBRONZE Member
5 posts

Posted:
here some tips about btb weave : Try not to bend a lot and make smooth moves.If you have to bend then try when doing btb weave to bend in front and when doing btb reverse weave to bend back!keep practising!!!

ChaosQueenGOLD Member
10 posts

Posted:
Now that you can do the BTB weave...you can try doing BTB weave with doubles...It's a wonderful effect...

Happy Twirling!

*With Love and Light*

misscorinthianSILVER Member
old hand
784 posts

Posted:
......and then you can learn forwards btb weave- you'll get bruises on the back of your head to match the ones on the front biggrin

XLenX

Devoted although mostly absent owner of the 1, the original... Asena

Bernie_FlameSILVER Member
Poi junkie
75 posts

Posted:
Hi, Just seen your thread and as I had the same problem, I thought I'd give you some advice which helped me. When you come back from your left and cross to do the circle on your right with your right hand it helps to give it a good flick. Also what helps in the early stages is if you drop you weight onto your back leg & drop your right shoulder low and left shoulder forward (twisting) abit when doing this. Once you get it pratise every day- It gets easier, hope this helps.

man who go bed with itchy bum wake up with smelly finger!

pixiejesterGOLD Member
57 posts

Posted:
I want to learn the btb weave, could anyone give me any advice on how to get started? I can do a normal weave. Do you have to spin reverse circles? Is it easier doing a btb butterfly into a btb weave? Can anyone help please

It could be worse - we could all have normal jobs.

If nobodies perfect, then I'm nobody.

kashGOLD Member
Dangerous cynic
166 posts

Posted:
Pixie, I would start by learning a backwards weave and take it from there.
To do a backwards weave your split time backwards circles need to be effortless, and you need to remember to reverse the sequence (under, over, out), as the poi breaks the plane to cross in front of you it should scoop up. Then try one hand at a time doing figure 8s behind your back, focusing on planes and go from there.

pixiejesterGOLD Member
57 posts

Posted:
Thanks, Kash, I'll try that!

kashGOLD Member
Dangerous cynic
166 posts

Posted:
 Written by: misscorinthian

......and then you can learn forwards btb weave- you'll get bruises on the back of your head to match the ones on the front biggrin

I always hit my front (on the way back), caught myself right in the throat the other day, that was quite unpleasant.

pixiejesterGOLD Member
57 posts

Posted:
I can just about do a figure of 8 with both hands, but I keep smacking the left side of my head with my right poi. I dont even though if Im doing it right as I've got no one to pratice with. And I've got the idea of a btb butterfly, keep hitting my legs though. But I start with them behind my back and swing them up.

GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
I can do btb butterly ok going underhand but cant get overhand btb butterfly. (hope that makes sense)

Before I try and get btb weave should I make sure I can do btb butterly spinning both ways?

I have tried btb weave for quite a while and still cannot grasp it frown

K__BRONZE Member
...join us...
184 posts

Posted:
I learnt btb weave before doing btb butterfly, so you don't necessarily need btb butterfly first. Reverse btb weave is way easier than forwards - so when the poi are btb they're going in the same direction as for normal reverse weave.

The way I learnt btb weave was in a series of steps, where I got the hang of each step properly before going on to the next one:
1) practise each hand separately, alternately spinning one circle normally and one on your other side btb
2) practise each hand separately, spinning 2 beats on one side and the other beat on the other side btb. Make sure you can do 2 beats btb as well.
3) now for both hands! spin in split time and practise figures of 8 btb. So each poi goes btb for one beat and comes back straight away.
4) once that's comfortable, it's just a case of forcing one hand to stay btb for a second beat.

Keeping the poi in plane is pretty important cos otherwise it quickly goes pear-shaped and you get whacked. All the separate hands practice should help with this.

I found watching this video really helpful cos when I got outside, I knew what I was meant to be aiming for and I could kind of feel it when I started getting the rhythm right.

Good luck smile

pixiejesterGOLD Member
57 posts

Posted:
So you spin circles at your sides first, then two circles on one side then the other side btb. (reverse?) then do figures of 8 btb (with one hand at a time?) then just go for it. Is that right?

K__BRONZE Member
...join us...
184 posts

Posted:
Yeah that's the order I used to work up to btb weave. Personally I found getting comfortable with each step made the next one easier. Course everyone's different, so sorry if it's doesn't help you much!

The figures of 8 are with both hands. Spin both poi in split time, send your right hand poi btb and then your left hand poi btb immediately, and then bring both back to their normal sides after they've each done one circle btb. Obviously you can do it starting with your left hand, and it's probably a good idea to get comfortable starting with either hand.

You know when you first started learning poi, before you could do 3bt weave, you did crossovers - each poi does one circle on the opposite side of the body? These figures of 8 are just like that but behind the back.

Let us know how you get on smile

Pogo69SILVER Member
there's no charge for awesomeness... or attractiveness
3,764 posts

Posted:
that's pretty much how I learned a regular 3bt, k... and kinda like I've been approaching btb too (thx ry, for tips - it seems to be working for pip)... haven't really been practising it though I should... just sick of whacking myself in the shoulder...

--pogo (pat) [forever and always]

pixiejesterGOLD Member
57 posts

Posted:
well I managed to do reverse circles on either side btb, I'm gonna keep practising that a bit more, I kept smacking the backs of my legs. Thanx for the help K, I'll let you know how I get on with it.

meltingBRONZE Member
journeyman
76 posts

Posted:
when you start fowards weave then go to btb weave you hit your self in the face try backwards wearve then btb backwards wearve on you wont het your face it will hit your legs but you can move them

are you gonna drink that?