Forums > Social Chat > What/Who made you to start poi?

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
VixenSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,276 posts

Posted:
I think the topic name pretty much says it all..... my experience was last year at reading festival.... i saw 2 girls spinning poi randomly and asked them about it... they wrote the HOP website address on my arm..... and then i was hooked! (if your out there let me know who you are, id love to thank you!!!)

tHeReS gOoD aNd EvIl iN EaCh InDiViDuAl fIrE, iDeNtIfIeS nEeDs AnD fEeDs OuR dEsIrEs.

kermitoverlord and maggot king
171 posts

Posted:
venturer camp 3 years ago, first one ever and a mate of mine got me hooked and patiently tought me the starters for it. thanks michelle

welcome back to kermits mad land.

wont you join my teaparty.

ParafinfairySILVER Member
old hand
845 posts

Posted:
Guildford Festival!!! Steve and Keith and Keren. Then found out about the Guildford meets. Bit like Durbs really!!

Slicing the Loaf as we speak.

I need it..... Trust me!

MandSILVER Member
Keeper of the Spitfire
2,317 posts

Posted:
Mine was a beautiful experience.

We'd had a party half way up a mountain in the Alps, when I worked there.
There was a guy called Mowgli, who came to visit and work for a few weeks. We were all sat round the fire, and without saying anything he walked away, sorted his chains out, and came back to the fire to light them.

I remember sitting there and being mesmerised. The only other light was that of our fire and the starlight. The only other noise was the big claps of thunder from a distant storm.
It was a truly beautiful night. peace

Then, when I was working in the Ardeche in France this year, Mowgli and some friends came back to visit.
We didn't reconise each other until someone told him I was a fire spinner, and we got chatting again.
So, the wicks and the fuel came out, and we all spun.
He's still one of the best fire spinners I've ever met.
weavesmiley

Lets steal a spaceship and head for the sun, and shoot the stars with a lemonade ray gun.

SpitFireGOLD Member
Mand's Girl....and The Not So Shy One
2,723 posts

Posted:
I saw TanTien (spelling) when they were TanTien perform at a pagan festival, and was awe struck. I didn't get a chance to talk to any of them, but the performance made a deep impression on me.

As chance woul dhave it, not long after, a friend took me to a "fire party" and people were spinning. I thought, "Coool!"

The second weekend I went, one of them stuck a pair of practie poi in my hand and said, "Right. If you're going to come out to our Saturday get togethers, you're going to at least try it. You don't have to like doing it, but you have to try it...it'll give you greater appreciation for what we do."

I tried it, and was hooked, absolutely hooked.

Solitude sometimes speaks to you, and you should listen.

MadMetsstranger
16 posts

Posted:
Coool!

I saw one of my classmates swinging his pois while we had a schooltrip to Paris. I bought a set of my own 3 days later and started practicing. He pointed me to this site lateron. I'm not sure if he's an actual member though... confused

griffinfeminine tiddly pom
505 posts

Posted:
in misty spring, i was out walking two dogs with my brother, and started to spin the leads. he said i should i should do poi, so i made a pair with tennis balls and strings, and then searched on google....

in state of metamorphosis

lakersnewbie
2 posts

Posted:
a friend on the beach at sunrise

I enjoy Poi.

BzraelBRONZE Member
45 posts

Posted:

I went to an opening of a beach volley tournament since with a friend of mine, who had friends who spun/juggled. Someone asked me what I was doing there so I lied and said I did poi and was with the juggling group - I was worried they might tell me the place was invite only. anyway, ended up trying it out there.

TrillianBRONZE Member
Llamas are larger than frogs.
319 posts

Posted:
Same party as Lyra.

"I know a good deal more than a boiled carrot."
"Fire!" "Where?" "Nowhere, I was just illustrating the misuse of free speech."

ElannaSILVER Member
Where ignorance is bliss, 'tis folly to be wise.
2,293 posts

Posted:
I believe I was introduced to poi/glowstringing at Shoujocon 2003. Rymel was spinning at the dance they hold Saturday night and I was like "Oooooooh, cool!". He gave me the url for HoP and gs.c, and well, here I am! smile

Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?

Pies Jesu Domine *whack*
Dona eis requiem *whack*

Come join us and chat - we're bored! irc.newnet.net #homeofpoi

majikenthusiast
231 posts

Posted:
When I was about 12 my sister started doing circus at school she learnt juggling and fire staff. I dabbled with it a little bit but never seriously until a hitchhiker left four brand new sets of fire poi in a friends car. He couldn't find the guy so he gave me a set. From then I was hooked I was about 13 so it must have been about 1998. 6 years later I'm still addicted. ubbloveweavesmileyubblove

Live, love, laugh and dance!

Gayle......!SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,444 posts

Posted:
Glastonbury 04 was mine - sat at the stone circle on the weds or thurs night with the drums players and some people spinning. There was one girl who was really good and told off another guy for burning her chains. There was also a young lad (i think he was young - for all i know he might have been 30 or something) who was really amazing. He just got up and joined in - he was also spinning a staff.

The next day it was off down the circus field to purchase a pair of glow poi and since then i have bought fabric poi and also got my two best friends and my mother hooked.

Gayle.....!

meepSILVER Member
344 posts

Posted:
I was at an internet meet and someone brought along her poi. they were amazing, but i never thought I'd have the dexterity to do it. Then a friend got into it and i picked up her poi and smacked myself about 3 months ago. 3 weeks later i went to juggling club for the first time and picked up a pair of mouse poi. That was it for me.

But it was Dott who got me started in the firt place hug to her for that.

We lost touch, but wonderfully, i found her again last week (the net is a wonderful place!)

biggrin

"But what would you do with a brain if you had one?"

Dorothy Gale

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
i was in thailand last year, was sitting on a beach at a beach party type thing and a few people just got up and started doing it, it looked fantastic ubbideaand moment i got home i went and bought some flag poi strted practising like hell and been hooked ever since, keep on spinning!!!!! weavesmiley

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

Aleksjourneyman
64 posts

Posted:
Best friend spent summer in Hoga in indonisia doing her dissatation and one of the girls there did poi. She missed poi and she got me into poi so she had someone to practise with this March i started getting better

Look at me twirl my pretty rainbow poi in my rainbowhat with my rainbow earings and my rainbow top etc.....

Sparklygreenfire*Green Spirit*
201 posts

Posted:
Green gathering 02. I'd already tried staff and as I used to do majorettes, that was easy enuf(for basic spinning anyway)!! I'd been sat watching all these ppl spin to a mass group of drummers for bout an hour...totally hypnotised! When I saw some for sale, I grabbed em and played with em all night...It was great fun!! I got my first fire poi about a month later!! biggrin biggrin biggrin

Are you a robot...or an alien?

Kombi guyBRONZE Member
HOP OM
225 posts

Posted:
I was at a party about 8 yrs ago and saw a girl twirling fire poi. I was totally blown away. The next day she helped me design my first set of poi and that was that. Totally addicted.
Since then fire has and still is taking me on an awesome journey from running a small buisness called Burning Statements to now being full time at HOP central. If I ever see that girl again I will have to thank her for introducing me to this art that we love so much. smile weavesmiley juggle ubbloco

wouacGOLD Member
Poi-tato
183 posts

Posted:
aboot two years back a couple of my friends were putting on a show at variety night at our school and told me to be a spotter for them that introduced me to fire staff poi and juggling which was pretty cool so i picked up the staff learnt the basics that night then picked up poi couple days later and have bin doing both since, so cheers to the art of fire beerchug

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potato's.

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Glastonbury 2003 sparkly poi Thursday dawn break (or friday confused)

I'm a late starter but an early developer ubbangel

Let's relight this forum ubblove

StaelynBRONZE Member
63 posts

Posted:
I actually have to still learn how to spin, so if anyone is from CT, greater Hartford area, I would love to meet you.

My obsession however, started about 3 years ago when i graduated high school. I was part of this group that got together for a weekend each month to play D&D. I ended up having the bigest crush on one of the guys who helped run the games. At the end of the year i invited him to come visit me during the summer in CT for my anual summer bash. He did and he broaut his Poi, and did a huge show for all of my friends, (fire breathing, contact, spinning, just about everything). We ended up dating for a while, and he started to teach me some contact. later on after we broke up i fell in love with this guy Anthony, It was watching him spin Poi that atracted me at first. So i am hooked for good, and desprately want to learn.
weavesmiley ubblove

Dance, Dance, Dance!

"Time flys like an arrow, fruit flys like a bananna."

evolsoulxjourneyman
60 posts

Posted:
a friend and i saw it online, however outside cairns australia, there was a small town up some mountain, with a bunch of outdoor shop things, and one had a booth with poi, and this cool raver chick, and she showed me stuff, and it was cool.

BOMBS TERRORIST AIRPORT AIRPLANE HOSTAGE ALLAH JIHAD SUICIDE BOMB HIJACK

have you tested the patriot act recently?

pengwinoBRONZE Member
suitable for vegetarians
300 posts

Posted:
My friend Yoda went on about poi and showed me some stuff in his bedroom with his (unlit) fire poi. Most impressed but also forgot about it. Two years later I learnt the weave with some tail poi, and somehow it took until another year later to realise they were the same thing (idiot!). Got re-excited again, learnt some more moves from Yoda then did Michal's fantastic courses in London last year.
All credit to Yoda though, who also first told me about HoP smile

I love reading everyone's stories here, and wish that mine was a bit more romantic!!! ubblol

I like that someone mentioned the Arts Factory - that place is poi mad! Think you are probably the odd one out in a group if you don't spin!! (almost)

animals who are not penguins can only wish they were

LurchBRONZE Member
old hand
929 posts

Posted:
Armoured Raven had me hooked and determined to learn CJ until I found out she spins poi. So obviously I made the switch wink got the HoP link and taught myself everything I know off the videos on here. I've probably watched them a million times picking out moves and practicing until I could do them every which way and blindfolded.

Thanks for teaching me guys! hug weavesmiley peace

#homeofpoi -- irc.newnet.net Come talk to us we're bored frown

Warning: Please Do Not Jump On The Seals

GoodSILVER Member
55 posts

Posted:
I first saw Poi in Wanaka, New Zealand, this gorgeous Maori woman named Sonata was spinning outside Radio Wanda. Then, I decided at Burning Man last year that I NEED to learn, and as coincidence has it (!) There was an ad in our local paper a week later about free poi spinning in the park- That's how I met my great friend Heather, also a bellydancer. Ah, she makes me feel so...graceful! Now I teach anyone who wishes!

take the schneak-tip

dutch fireSILVER Member
25 posts

Posted:
Last summer I met Irish Saby, who gave me love and fire poi. I'm Dutch and living in the north of Holland (far away from the big city's) so I never saw anyone spinning. I was very impressed and started practicing with tennisballs. I've never seen Saby anytime since, but I really want to do a show with him! So Seb if you read this: Come to Holland you lazy basterd! =P

To be free, happy and crazy..

RuneBRONZE Member
9 posts

Posted:
I picked up a set of glow poi at a party at Featherstone Castle and became addicted to them. That was 2 years ago, then earlier this year after spinning them on fire at the same place I decided to get more serious about learning move so spent time researching and practising.

Kitty - Feel free to talk to me on messengers:

AIM: Rune Amgine
MSN: kirstin(at)kryptworks(dot)co.uk
Yahoo!: BloodSoakedRagdoll

Fueroaddict
465 posts

Posted:
I know this group called omnia et Kaos and they did an act at a veneu called Elf Fantasy and I was hooked.

Here are some pics of them at that show:

https://www.omnia-neocelt.com/gallery/?di...fireshow_180604

Hmm, there's gotta be something round and shiny, I can play with

FruleinFireotographer on Hiatus
284 posts

Posted:
[Old link] hug (Ado-p too, though he is twirling staff)

"I see," said the blind man.

The Real Fryed FishGod's illgitament son
1,489 posts

Posted:
My friend Lamont spins fire poir at a local club, and after seeing him, it just hooked me........

You can't avoid pain by fencing yourself from it.
Some times you need the help of others more than anything else
But you have to let them close enough to help......
People want to be needed, I found that out too

efes spinnernewbie
15 posts

Posted:
spent a week in newquay a couple of years ago an saw sum lads spinning fire on the beach, i was tottaly mesmorised by them an had to go fynd out what they were doing......

To each der own as with all in life.

Page: