FireflyeBRONZE Member
82 posts

Posted:
I went to the crossroads website and found some information on this but it seems like a lot of work. I have a 5ft. aluminum pole about 1 inch in diameter. Is there an easier way to consruct my own staff using what I've already got?

I'm fixing a hole where the rain gets in to stop my mind from wandering....

Devilstick_RussellBRONZE Member
I like devilstick...
196 posts

Posted:
By the sounds of things you've already got a staff just use a bit of electrical tape to mark the middle and your done. (Everyones gonna hate me for saying that because they prob all have special ways of making them. But to start out a pole really is all you need). Fancieness could be added like pretty patterns or bike innertube hand grip what ever floats your boat.

Does this site actually exist? Or am i talking to all my other personalities?

Raven_WolfeRunSILVER Member
journeyman
91 posts

Posted:
Since you're using aluminum as a staff remember it's going to get hot quick. One of the guys in my troop uses one and it's gotta be put down after a few minutes to cool. Assuming you've already got the wicking, try wrapping the shaft in leather starting and ending about a foot from the wicks. Tape down the edges of the leather also, since white gas (or whatever you use) likes to run. Electrical tape's a good idea, too. It makes a good marker, if you can find it use the white kind, or white duct tape, that way you see it easier in the dark when you're twirling and such.

May the flame on your balls not be too hot

nativeSILVER Member
sleeping with angels
508 posts

Posted:
take tenis racket grips and rap the center
bye cotton cloth fold it in half about 4 inch wide wrap the ends and secure the raps with hose clamps
hell that was my first fire staff

SLEEP WITH ANGELS muckieha

FireflyeBRONZE Member
82 posts

Posted:
Thanks, I'll try those suggestions and see what I can make of it.

FireflyeBRONZE Member
82 posts

Posted:
By the way, is there an easier way to make the wicking for a staff? After watching the staff lessons on this site I realized that I really need to get started because I already know how to do a lot of those moves since I teach flags at a local high school. I can't help it, I'm impatient and lazy, what a terrrible combination!

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
I've always just used kevlar wicking purchased off this site (or other similar ones) for the wicks on my staff. There is no way I could make this farbic. I know people have also used towels (while they work for a few burns, little bits of the towel will start to fly off the staff after just a few burns, so you will have to continually re-attach new towels). People have also had similar success using old jeans as with towels if you are absolutely anxious and can't wait for a package to arrive in the mail.

journeyman
91 posts

Posted:
it's worth having a bit of patience to use real wicking. Like spritie said, you get fabric bits flying everywhere. i have a friend of mine that tried that and he's got a pretty good scar from it.

FireflyeBRONZE Member
82 posts

Posted:
About how much kevlar should I use on each end? Right now I'm waiting on some for my poi, but I've been using towels so I know exactly what you're talking about. Just the other night I had just gotten done spinning and a little piece of towel fell right onto the top of my foot, hurt like hell! The next day I ordered some kevlar!

journeyman
91 posts

Posted:
Gooood idea. as far as how much to use, as much as you use to wrap your poi should be enough, so about an inch thick.

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
I'd guess I have 2-3 feet of kevlar wicking on my staff...it all depends on how long you want it to burn and how large you want the fire to be. This is less than I use for each of my poi (those are made from 4 feet of wicking each). I use 1/8 inch thick wicking and this is what I would recommend (it comes thinner as well). I've got 2 inch on my poi, and for my staff I use 4 inch wide. If you want a long staff (I'm on the shorter side, so mine is only 4 ft. long) you might consider putting together a 4 inch wick roll next to a 2 inch or use a 2inch and a 3 inch just for balance.

FireflyeBRONZE Member
82 posts

Posted:
Well my staff is 5 ft. long so maybe 2-3 ft. would do the trick. I just ordered about 10 ft. of wicking for my poi (5 ft. for each wick) do you think that's too much, because if so then I can use what's left over for my staff.

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
5ft. of wicking on each poi will make for a rather large poi (in my opinion). Of course, I'm only 5'4" so huge doesnt' exactly fit my style. 4ft. of the 2inch stuff will make more or less a cube shaped wick which I like (5ft of the 2.5inch stuff will as well). The only thing I would really be concerned about is the weight. The bigger the wick, the more fuel it can absorb and the heavier it will be.

FireflyeBRONZE Member
82 posts

Posted:
Well, I ordered 2.5 inch stuff and I'm only 5'3" so maybe I will end up with some extra. So you're in Galveston huh? Any other fire bugs up there G-town?

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
Not that I know of frown I am a very active part of the Houston crowd though, and I'm fairly certain you've just discovered our list as well, so...welcome!

As far as attaching the dowel rod to your staff, you could just slide it inside the aluminum. Since you plan on using it for fire, I wouldn't put the plastic stoppers on the end as you would for a flag. I might consider drilling the screw that holds the wicking on your staff into the wooden dowel rod after it goes through the aluminum.

FireflyeBRONZE Member
82 posts

Posted:
Yeah that's what I've been told by the so-very-helpful Houston group. I'll be moving up to Nacogdoches in August which is only 2 hours away from Houston. That kinda makes the move a lil more interesting smile