Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > Does any one know of any firebreathing competition

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
Puck Dallasmember
23 posts

Posted:
I have been firebreathing in Texas for three years. I have freinds who go to burningman and firedance and they seem to be of the opinion that I might be one of the best firebreathers on the south coast posisbly on a national level. I was wondering if any one knows of a competition so that I may have the chance to put this theory of there's to a test.

Have you seen the new yahoo comercial with the fire eater of 6 years who does firebreathing for the commercial. If your going to claim to be a professional at least use the right terminolgy for what your doing sheesh. She appears to me to still be very affraid of fire breathing. sorry my recent rant .

musashiistarring Skippy the green llama
1,148 posts

Posted:
put it to rest, man..You hear of sword swallowing competitions? Light bulb eating competitions? Compete compete compete..everyone _has_ to be the best at something rolleyes

First intention, then enlightenment..
Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

arsnHow do you change this thing???
1,903 posts

Posted:
I'm the best "Wearer of Underpants on my head" and there ain't nobody going to take my title away from me... well maybe dentrassi... rolleyes

Quote:

Originally posted by Puck Dallas

She appears to me to still be very affraid of fire breathing.

You lose fear of the fire... you get lazy...

You get lazy... you make mistakes...

You make mistakes with fire breathing... you die... don't be lazy...

With that comment of yours of her being affraid of fire, it makes me think you have no respect for the flame, and/or fuel... READ THIS...

I can't hear you... I have a banana in my ear.

"You mean I'll have to use my brain?... but I use staff!!!" ~ ben-ja-men

Puck Dallasmember
23 posts

Posted:
I am not normaly the competive type a freind recomended me to ask so sorry you have to be so shitty about it and have a bad attitude. As for the yahoo deal there is a large diff. between fear and respect. I completely respect it. But most firebreathers know better than to ever turn away from there animal. It is a worse situation to turn away than to just stop spraying. Try doing a 360 or a 180 horizontal sustain and you find out how possible it is to make turning away dangerous when you watch it follow you. The fire stops when you stop spraying fluid not when you turn away. That has a higher probablity for an accident to happen. Ask some one in the know and they will most likely agree. Fear isn't the important part of playing with fire respect is.

ataxiaSILVER Member
172 posts

Posted:
I don't know much about firebreathing, however to me a competition seems like a pretty silly concept. How far will you push yourself?
Competition will push people beyond their limit, and that's surely gotta be dangerous.

Geez, I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

1,148 posts

Posted:
/* runs in, snatches the underpants off arsn's head */

"No one can beat the Worlds best head underpant snatcher!!"

/* runs away */

Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
Quote:

I'm the best "Wearer of Underpants on my head" and there ain't nobody going to take my title away from me... well maybe dentrassi...

grrrr! *shakes fist* anyway, you only won that last world championship title because you took steroids! cheating bastard...*grumble grumble*

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

Puck Dallasmember
23 posts

Posted:
On one level I agree with you. Honestly the only challenge a good fire performer needs is themself. It is also nice though to be able to see styles of other people at your ...level for lack of better words right now. It doesn't make it any better just different. It also helps others to progress being able to see example of the art form in its true use. For the past 2 years I have watched others emulate the tricks I have developed. I would just like to be able to make freinds and have a freindly competition. Hell look at x games. They aren't all shitty with one another. Most of them become freinds. I run into a large number of people who really have the wrong attitude about playing with fire. I have to admit it is fun to watch them be shitty at first until they see what someone has to offer and then all the sudden they want to be your best freind. I love playing with fire as much for my personal life lessons and progression as much as watching peoples faces.

I wouldn't be studying to become a true pyrotechnician if I didn't have a great love and respect for it. I don't know many that would make that commitment.
EDITED_BY: Puck Dallas (1083081448)

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
also, compared to playing with poi or staff, breathing really doesnt require nearly as much skill or practice.

there so much less that you can do with it ... for a competition, im sure after a few breaths your going to get a bit bored watching....

id rather be respected for my spinning abilities than breathing abilities any day. hell, how many drunk dickheads have you seen at parties who firebreath - compare that to how many can do a smooth basic 3 bt weave.. weavesmiley

Puck Dallasmember
23 posts

Posted:
That just shows how much you don't really know. It is yes the most dangrous fire art and many people seeing the levels of other performers who really have no clue about firebreathing would agree. To be honest it requires just as much or more just because of the possibility of hurting one's self. A fire blower is easy to pick out from a firebreather if you have ever seen a real firebreather. A fireblower tends to stand in one place dance very little and have alot of fuel they don't burn off. There is alot you can do with it that most don't experiment to find mostly due to fear or lack of creativity. It is harder to do it just because there isn't some easy place to rummage through and find tricks of the trade. I have over 26 tricks. The basics are sustains, fireballs, and donuts. There are angles, sustained turns, walking forward wile breathing a sustained fireball and contact play.. After that comes the harder stuff. Which most never find or are not capable of teaching. Not to forget prop work like cigarettes, juggling,acrobatics, sphere work, and matches. The are lip tricks, how to keep the fuel toward the front of your mouth, how to get the best burn or usage of the fuel used and even the size range from 5 feet to 15 feet.

Most of the people I have run into cann't do a sustain or doesn't know that it is possible.

Do you know how many poi people I have seen do it in altered states with alcohol and much harder drugs. Come on lets get real.
EDITED_BY: Puck Dallas (1083055778)

Dragon7GOLD Member
addict
625 posts

Posted:
3bt weave???

From what iv seen of you photos Den i woulndnt call you a profesional fire breather. No offence, but from what i know and have seen of puk, i can vouch, "he is the f@ KING man!"

Quote:

breathing really doesnt require nearly as much skill or practice

I disagree, i can do 6bt btb turning weave wraps and i concider blowing 8ft "volcano's" way harder and 8' is nothing compaired to what these guys are doing.

Unfortunatly for me, i developed a "problem", i can no longer breath properly and have had to retire my breathing AGAIN. Not a nice feeling just trying to breath normally. frown

To each their own i say, just because he wants to push himself and find comradary in it, dosn't make him an ego manic...just different...and we all have the right to be ourselves. devil

Puck Dallasmember
23 posts

Posted:
Thanks I take it we may have met at an event? I appreciate your kind words.

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:

well i hope i vaguely know what i am talking about - ive been fire breathing for 2 years.

tani - only photo i have of me breathing, taken with a dodge digital camera after ive been breathing for 2 months - photo was taken half a second too late in any case. i never got around to getting a decent photo.

but am gradually phasiing it out of my life cos i know too many people who have screwed up.

i dance around, trace /contact all over, fireeat, i play up to the audience, and make it look infinitely more dramatic than it is, walking while breathing etc. once i could control my breath, the rest came pretty naturally.

my im just abnormal - but ive spent way more time trying to work out juggling/poi/staff tricks that breathing. for shear showmanship, the firebreath looks great sure, but from the technical perspective ive found spinning more challenging

maybe its because ive worked on my spinning skills so much recently ive forgotten how much time it took to learn to breath....

id rather see a competition on all round firearts skills rather than just breathing. if someone has a breath during the performance - thats up to them.

Quote:

To each their own i say, just because he wants to push himself and find comradary in it, dosn't make him an ego manic...just different...and we all have the right to be ourselves

absolutely. couldnt agree more. i dont beleive i even implyed that. sorry if thats how it came across. full respect for performing - it something i love doing and talking about.

hopefully we can agree to disagree on this one. biggrin

apart from that, welcome to HoP!

EDITED_BY: Dentrassi (1083057502)

Puck Dallasmember
23 posts

Posted:
Your are being a snob and I don't normaly waiste my time with people like that. Being a professional means being respectful to others and treating them with the courtesy you expect. I play with poi and and can do most of the tricks and have started getting into all the wrap work. So what I also don't limit myself to one form either. I can play with every fire toy I have come into contact with. Honestly fire devil sticks are harder than poi. There is alot of intricate tricks and there are people who are always devoloping new tricks and sharing. It isn't normaly the same with firebreathing. I wish I had it as easy as just being a poi person but I don't. I am a fireperformer which means not limiting my possibilities and I am a professional. I have treated you with respect up to this point.
EDITED_BY: Puck Dallas (1083057395)

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
my apologies. didnt mean to say like that. post revised.

Puck Dallasmember
23 posts

Posted:
ahh nice change that had a much more professional tone the second time around. Look I would like to see a competition that would allow all of us a chance to test our mettle and have comradery but I only asked about one thing. That doesn't mean you should jump down my throat.

I did make a crack about a job that I would have loved to of gotten. I am also right because alot of people who have seen me play said the same thing to me before I even saw it. She calls herself a fire eater but she doesn't do one thing that is actualy fire eating. She was probably just an actor anyways. SO it would be no wonder she would turn away in fear.
EDITED_BY: Puck Dallas (1083057949)

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
cool. didnt mean to jump down your throat.

besides, id normally buy you a drink before id get that close... beerchug

Puck Dallasmember
23 posts

Posted:
It's kewl I was trying not to let it get to me. That is all apart of doing what we do. You probably felt like you were checking a newbies nuts just because I don't have many post's on this board. Becareful though because that can put off alot of people even on a performance side. It isn't like I came up in the middle of your performance and started bothering you about stuff. and asking if I could play. Stepping on toes is very easy to do and most of us don't respect anyone we don't know or haven't seen out in a circle. I also think that some people could use to learn a little more discretion with their....angst. Because honestly you don't know who you are talking to. Normaly though with in a short period of time and being respectful it isn't hard to figure out who is kewl and who isn't.

I have taught multiple students and shared a decent amount of knowledge with others. I am wanting to get all the dallas people talking and networking together to create a community so that there can be the comradere and yet have "healthy" competition. Because it helps to have people that challenge you to learn. That was how I started out. With a bunch of people that where very green and we where told what we could and couldn't do with it and sorta proved our teacher wrong. A teacher can learn just as much from a student as a student can from a teacher. It is a trade that many are narow sighted about to.

If you look at my first post I didn't claim to be the best man. I actualy have freinds that told me that recently and it is a pretty scarry idea for me. I sadly don't get out of texas much but would happily travel for any event given the chance and money. Just because I am good doesn't mean I am rich...yet. wink

SO does anyone know of anything. I would like to meet every performer out there and go to all the events but it is hard for me to do so on a very limited budget.
EDITED_BY: Puck Dallas (1083063316)

1,148 posts

Posted:
lol, if someone slaps your nuts it's because you laid them on the table. I'd suggest that you host a competition if you wish to see what kind of talent the southeast really has, but it's hard to say how many old skoolers would come out for a competition.

Ars Pyronomica

Puck Dallasmember
23 posts

Posted:
I would beg to differ. My post is completely humble. You guys bristled up like cats. As for old schoolers the more the merrier. I don't know many so that would be kewl. Honestly I would like to meet some brazilian and islander firebreathers. I think that would be awesome. I like people who are serious about there art. I am a three year veteran as an acting professional which yes there are people that have done it for longer but it is quality vs. quanity and I started out being taught by someone that had been doing it for 15 years. He taught me the basics though there is alot I found on my own. It is handy to have been a choral student and swimmer and start out in a network of people you can bounce new ideas off of.

TO be honest who gave you the right to pick on a newbie. If anything those of you that are more experienced should work on guiding those that are new and not misstreating them because you don't know them. What if I had come up to you during or after a performance of yours would you be civil or just another one of those assholes. May be you should consider that next time. Especialy if they are 6' 3" and pierced and tattoo. It just might be me. Because then after you see what I can do I wont talk to you about sh** if you where rude and uncool.
EDITED_BY: Puck Dallas (1083081944)

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
am tempted to respond to a few things you mentioned... but ill leave it.

all ill say is that guys around here are a bit touch about firebreathing cos theres a few people on here who have been damaged pretty bad. also its been discussed many time before.

cheers. weavesmiley

PukSILVER Member
Sweet talented nutter
2,615 posts

Posted:
Can you please keep my name out of this ?.

that shrewd and knavish sprite

Called Robin Good Fellow ; are you not he that is frighten of the maidens of the villagery - fairy

I am the merry wander of the night -puk

MedusaSILVER Member
veteran
1,433 posts

Posted:
This is going to come across as offensive any way I say it...which I don't mean it to be...so if it is taken the wrong way I apologise....

You say that your post was humble which it may have seemed to you but as with all things that are written people read them in a different way to what you write it.

The tone that you may have tried to express with your words may not have come across that way to the reader.

Misinterpretations happen all the time don't be too harsh on anyone in here we mean no harm.

A lot of firies in this place have had bad experiences and that is why in general fire eating and breathing is not really talked about that much except in horror stories.

arsnHow do you change this thing???
1,903 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Originally posted by Dentrassi
am tempted to respond to a few things you mentioned... but ill leave it.

But I won't...

Quote:

What if I had come up to you during or after a performance of yours would you be civil or just another one of those assholes. May be you should consider that next time. Especialy if they are 6' 3" and pierced and tattoo. It just might be me.

Now I don't care if you come up to me wearing a ski mask and ballet shoes... The way you look will not change the way I act around you.

Quote:

Because then after you see what I can do I wont talk to you about sh** if you where rude and uncool.

And after I see what you can do, I'll be right next to you telling you not what to do... ie fire breath. Do a search, you'll find that every thread or information on fire breathing has turnned into something that tells everyone about what the fuel is doing to you, how to kill a lung quicker than a 12 step program, and stories of "how fire breathing ruined my life vol 3.1"...

Quote:

My post is completely humble. You guys bristled up like cats.

I personally would have said a female Koala (if their young are in danger they will strike whoever or whatever it is that is attacking their young and will no stop until at least one of them is dead)... but I found that the way you first posted was quite an ego based post eg.

Quote:

I have freinds who go to burningman and firedance and they seem to be of the opinion that I might be one of the best firebreathers on the south coast posisbly on a national level.

Now, I know that this is something your friends have told you, but to start a thread so head strong, your just lining yourself up to be shot down.

Quote:

Originally posted by musashii
if someone slaps your nuts it's because you laid them on the table.

Stay away from tables...

Quote:

I have taught multiple students and shared a decent amount of knowledge with others.

Did you teach them by spraying fuel... or spraying water???

Quote:

And finally posted by Puck Dallas
Your are being a snob and I don't normaly waiste my time with people like that.

And he was beinging a snob because he was voicing he's veiws??? So in that case I'm being a snob to right...

I can't hear you... I have a banana in my ear.

"You mean I'll have to use my brain?... but I use staff!!!" ~ ben-ja-men

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Now I don't care if you come up to me wearing a ski mask and ballet shoes...

ill have to remember that next time i come to visit you arsn ubblol

1,148 posts

Posted:
I don't think I could have put it any better myself, arsn. It doesn't really matter to me what you look like, or what you can do, I'll base my opinion on who you are..

Ars Pyronomica

Puck Dallasmember
23 posts

Posted:
Now that I have had a chance to sleep let me take another stab at this. Ihave been doing firebreathing and many of the other fire arts for the past three years. I do it because I have a love for it and have also decided to pursue becoming a pyrotechnician. I am aware of many of the flaws of each of the fuels I have done test burns with or generaly played with.

I could name off all the fluids have experimented with but I would rather not do it in a place where a kid or newbie might decide to take the list and try them all out.

As for teaching I start them out with alcohol! first so that there lips and tongues go numb(do not try it at home kids that was a joke and it is very dangerous to play with alcohol with drinking and spinning or fire breathing I don't not recomend it)..... they start breathing air first and working on their lips. Then after explaining in further details what they are trying to do we move on to water. After which point we talk some more. Then normaly I will have them do a couple of quick bursts(fuel: P) with pauses between each breath. normaly there is safety equipment close by and I prefer to have at least one safety at hand. many time I will show them also what they are trying to acheive by breathing and allowing them to watch. then we move on to basic sustain work. There is alot more but it is alot to explain but I think you get the idea. I treat it like a apprentice ship.

Good it shouldn't but in texas I have run into alot of people who are not very professional to anyone when you first aproach them. Then again alot of them do it for the girls or crowed recognition or whatever floats there boat if you know what I mean. It just felt like that all over again and it really tends to get on my nerves. yeah a freind of mine today also reminded me that alot of people on forums look for those misinterpretations just to flame people.

As for getting hurt it is very easy to do. Every performer takes that risk each time you step out to play with fire. the worst accidents tend to happen out of fear, mistakes, ego, using volatile fuels, and wind changes. I am not saying that is what happend to these other people. I have seen alot of firebreathers that have no right to be out in a crowd because they are a danger to a crowd and themself. If you play with fire you are going to get burned. That is a part of our life.
EDITED_BY: Puck Dallas (1083136268)

1,148 posts

Posted:
I think now that you've had a little more time to look around you may see as well that people on this board aren't like that. Not much in the way of egos or attitudes, however everyone's a comedian, and dedicated to the art. And I don't think I've ever heard anyone say how good they are, or how good others may think they are(in being on this board for mebbe 2 yrs now). You'll probrably find some of the peeps from texas on here, all the ones I've met or talked to are good ppl, not like the people you've described. I guess I've been lucky, almost every fire freek I've met in person was cool as hell and I was sorry to see em go.

Ars Pyronomica

Puck Dallasmember
23 posts

Posted:
it's kewl I was on the old board before they switched it over. I just got back on line recently. I know that alot of people on tis board are serious thats why it sucked to get flamed like that. here just for you guys I have a pic for yah. It is a hand contact fireball. https://web2.airmail.net/jedyer/fire/hand2.jpg
This is just one ofthe tricks I have in my list.

1,148 posts

Posted:
eh, why not start a definitive list of tricks thread? I'd love to hear of something new. I've got a few partner tricks I can throw on it as well, just never seem to have the time. Have done that trick before, nice trick to light fire sculptures(whenever we wick them up once in a blue moon frown ).

Ars Pyronomica

Puck Dallasmember
23 posts

Posted:
Mostly for the same reason it's not discussed much on home of poi. I have done it on other sites before like totem which no longer seems to be around. I will consider it though.

I wouldn't mind talking with you on a private level but I prefer not to do it in public at this time.
EDITED_BY: Puck Dallas (1083139410)

Page: