Page: ......
AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
does anyone have any tips or advice or anything to share about dying dreadlocks?

I've had mine for quite a few years, and, well, umm, redface I'm going a bit grey umm, and I'd actually like to dye that out.... but it's been soooooooooooo long since I've dyed my hair, and have never died dreadies, so... ubbloco any tips?

(sorry to the mods if this is in the wrong spot...)

ubbrollsmile

OrangeBoboSILVER Member
veteran
1,389 posts

Posted:
I'll get my next set, probably in a couple of years... I want my hair to gggrrroooowww right now!

wie weit, wie weit noch?
fragst mich, wo wir gewesen sind...
du fehlst hier

GothFrogetteBRONZE Member
grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
 Written by: .:* Moon Pixie *:.

Quote:

Most likely you will get a big knotty doormat of a hairstyle.

Should I be taking offence of that wink hehe...yeah I let mine dread on there own...(with gentle persuasion wink ) they could deffinately use some maintenance though... very messy round the roots as they're starting to grow out a little... If you want neat straight even dreads, go to the hair dresser, or profetional dreadlock maker smile

...But my hair dreaded on it's own quite nicely... They are knobley and twisty and all different lengths and sizes, but I quite like the organic look of them. I love getting all creative with them and putting wraps and beads, bells, rings and shells and stuff in them... peace

so glad i am not the only one who used this way to dread. i personaly think they look better. (although mine oare only a year and a hlaf old)

i was them like anyone would, love Lush products as i find that shop shampoo drys out the scalp far too much. As for Dying, be very very very carful if using bleach as some of the dreads may end up being shorter than before redface i lost a couple of inches off some frown so no more bleach for me.luckily they are on the top so look as though they were meant to be like that. biggrin i usualy use directions for colour though. and yes having sponges on your head sure does mean that its costs a pretty penny or two.

Life's too short to worry about where you put your marshmallows

_Aimée_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
Its been four months eek
Where does the time go?

I stopped using the wax in late december. It just pissed me off how sticky and horrible it made my hair, no matter how little I used.
And as soon as I stopped using it? Hey presto things started to move alot quicker!

I don't really do much to them besides knot the roots up (had forgotten how quickly my hairs grows!). There are a few fluffy bits, but finding it hard to thread them back into the dread as most of them are rock hard!

Mum is still offering money to comb them out for me ubblol

I go through stages of really missing 'normal' hair...brought on mostly by looking at pictures of myself from last summer with blonde sun-bleached long wavy locks...
I rememeber at the beginning I spent more time playing with my sisters beautiful blonde hair than I did with my own!

But they are wonderful dreads which have improved so much and they are lovely and bumpy and mishap and all differant shapes and sizes and I am proud to have them biggrin

(pssst..any body else get strangers staring at their hair? The underground is the best for it..I want to get a little plastic cockcroach and stick it poking out of my hair...)

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Aimée

(pssst..any body else get strangers staring at their hair? The underground is the best for it..I want to get a little plastic cockcroach and stick it poking out of my hair...)

ubblol that would be funy, and yes i too get looks, i was helping a friend move house and all the little chav oiks where shouting "hippie" etc.

grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
i get it all the time although not sure if its just the dreads. lol

usual questions that get asked are "do you have anything living in there?" and "is it true you can't wash them and they smell like Pee?!!"

off topic but honestly rolleyes some people... my grandad still threatens to cut them off to make my grandma a new mop head ubblol

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Aimée

all the time - my dreads are now past my bum, people want to touch them and can't help but be fascinated ny them... smile

~Leah~GOLD Member
addict
584 posts

Posted:
love to see a photo of your dreadlings Ade!

Never hold your farts in! They travel up your spine, go into your brain and that's where shitty idea's come from.

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
check out my gallery for a pic of them - I think it was taken a year or so ago...every summer they go through a growth spurt and get longer and longer.

I have one - and only one - dread that I can stretch to the back of my kneecap biggrin

my dreads are more than 15 years old

ubbrollsmile

~Leah~GOLD Member
addict
584 posts

Posted:
15 years, that's fantastic!! I think mine are about 10 months!!!!!!!!

Never hold your farts in! They travel up your spine, go into your brain and that's where shitty idea's come from.

7,193 posts

Posted:
mine are only 6 months old frown i go a long way to go

~Leah~GOLD Member
addict
584 posts

Posted:
I thought about getting extensions put on at some stage. Has anyone got them?

7,193 posts

Posted:
i just had to un-comb one of my dreadlings, i'm splitting it into smaller dreadlins as it hasn't taken.

only took me 20 mins to undo it so it wasn't that good a dread frown

leah, personally i cant see the point in extensions, why have some other persons hair woven in?

the one ting i have found is, use elastic hair bands and wash your hair every day (using shampoo 3 times a week) and your dreadlings soon conform and behave biggrin ubblol

burningoftheclaveySILVER Member
lurking like a ninja with no camouflage..
926 posts

Posted:
mine are 9 months old now i love them so much! i had planned to dye them if/when i got bored of the colour but i think i might just wrap them with different colours of wool instead, easier, less damaging quick to remove.... although thats not to say ill never dye my dreads.... hmmmm...

i like swapping beads with people too and getting beads from other people... theyre like community dreads a few people helped make them and others have given me things to put in them....ace!

has anyone ever taken another persons dread and dreaded it into their hair? how would this work?

on spam robots - "Burn the robot! Melt him down, and then we can make lots and lots of money from his shiiiny juices!"

Owned by Brenn smile

7,193 posts

Posted:
ubblol most people give me random sized bolts for my dreadlin

~Leah~GOLD Member
addict
584 posts

Posted:
I don't know anyone else around here with dreadies to play with. frown

7,193 posts

Posted:
same here leah, unless i go to a free party then it's more a case of swaping fleas rather than beads ubblol

926 posts

Posted:
mmm fleas....taste especially good with sweet chilli sauce biggrin

ill send you both dread beads! ive started making them..no one else had the pleasure of receiving them yet and test how durable they are ..PM me an address if you want....:) ubbrollsmile

on spam robots - "Burn the robot! Melt him down, and then we can make lots and lots of money from his shiiiny juices!"

Owned by Brenn smile

7,193 posts

Posted:
 Written by: burningoftheclavey

mmm fleas....taste especially good with sweet chilli sauce biggrin

ill send you both dread beads! ive started making them..no one else had the pleasure of receiving them yet and test how durable they are ..PM me an address if you want....:) ubbrollsmile

PM-side wink

Adya MiriyanaGOLD Member
*slou?
6,554 posts

Posted:
hey leah - i'm sure you could add some felt dread extensions! i played with them a bit last year and they turned out well smile pretty cheap to make yourself if you're a bit artsy! hug

~Leah~GOLD Member
addict
584 posts

Posted:
hey that sounds great, felt dreadies. What's the secret to that I wonder??? umm Oh and new beads, how wonderful. I'd love to model your new dreadie beads! At the moment I have multi coloured wool wraped around some dreadies. I had some left over wool because I'm learning how to knit at the moment, knitting my wonderful square blankie, so what else was I to do!!!!! biggrin

926 posts

Posted:
cool cool! PM me an address ill get some sent out to ya! biggrin oh yeah and are they chunky non chunky etc etc?

is that the quite thick kinda wool? ive been looking about for leftover bits in wool shops as i dont knit myself but noone seems to do them...hmmmm

Owned by Brenn smile

grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
i went abit gar gar and cut my dreads... not all off but they have now gone from the middle of my back to just above my shoulders, a heck of alot easier to cut than normal un dready hair

~Leah~GOLD Member
addict
584 posts

Posted:
ha ha, that's for sure. What did the inside of the dreadlings look like when you cut them?

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Felt dreadies are really easy to make and can be in so many colurs and sizes.

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

7,193 posts

Posted:
bounce i got me beads on saturday biggrin thank you soooo much burningoftheclavey hug i love them and the little "extra" you put in with the beads wink

926 posts

Posted:
nice one man, thought you might appreciate that! hug

i randomly made that eye one as it was just the other ones i made normally, i liked it so much i made one for myself....! *ponders* maybe theres a market for it...hmmm biggrin

Owned by Brenn smile

TinklePantsGOLD Member
Clique Infiltrator, Cunning Linguist and Master Debator
4,219 posts

Posted:
just about to do my roots lol It needs it after three months, now I have multicolor dreads where the black dye just wont come out - even with bleach! I put in a coppery colour last time, but tonight i'm going for a burgundy red - Red Night by schwarzkopf LIFE! yay last time though, I flicked red splodges everywhere. not so good with red as it looked like there'd been a murrderr lol

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

~Leah~GOLD Member
addict
584 posts

Posted:
ubblol

grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
 Written by: ~Leah~

ha ha, that's for sure. What did the inside of the dreadlings look like when you cut them?

odd! and multi coloured fromt he huge amounts of dye that had been put on the over the years, did panick as quite a bit of hair came out in the wash... as it would... but they are looking rather nice. the only thing i can think of that looks the same as the cut inside of a drea is when you cut off all the hair on a barbie and your left with stubbly sticky up bits, its like a little brush and feels really nice. they are now part of several birds nests as i put them out in the garden with the rest of the nesting material and they are gone ubblol

926 posts

Posted:
ive gotten into the habit of rubbing the tips against my face (and sticking them through my lip ring....rolleyes)...feels wicked! ubblol

Owned by Brenn smile

Page: ......