FloosoushooSILVER Member
38 posts

Posted:
hey guys, wave

been trying to work out how to change direction n stuff by using wraps (i think that's what ya do...???) but dont know where to begin.

searched thru it all etc, but it's all too technical n advanced, just need the basics... like what exactly am i trying to wrap them around.

its probably a real dumb question...
so please dont hesitate to respond! ubbloco

cheers, rei

they mostly come at night, mostly.

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Well - the clue's in the name really smile

You just wrap one (or both...) of the poi around an arm or leg (or neck, waist, ear etc) and then it bounces off your appendage and when it's un-wrapped it's spinning the other way! Ta-da!

Alternatives to wraps to change directions are stalls which are when you stop one (or both) poi spinning, nice and quickly and then start it in the other direction.

Check out some of the videos in the Videos section of the board - most have wraps and stalls in them!

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

FloosoushooSILVER Member
38 posts

Posted:
hey, thanks smile

i've got it so i can change direction of one poi when swinging in front by using other arm, but get them to di it together in sync or async, is there a way to do that??

they mostly come at night, mostly.

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Yep yep - you can do it any which way you want - it's just all down to timing and practice smile

You can wrap both at the same time, one just after another - one a few beats in between then the other - Just play and see what you come up with, and how many different places you can wrap it on - Current number I believe is 78 wink

If you're doing simulaeneous wraps (i.e. both at the same time) you often need to turn your wrists back on themselves to ensure they both wrap....

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
you have two options.

1) click 'free lessons' at the top of the page, then poi, then wraps.

2) alternatively check out the 15 billions threads on the topic of wraps in the appropriately name 'poi moves' section of the board.

3) take off your clothes. put some green underpants on your head, wrap yourself in sticky tape, and hop down the street.

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

joulzenlightened
187 posts

Posted:
meh i never understood any of the stuff they tell me in the wraps section of this site, stick with the vids
n the wraps.. ude be surprised how many wraps u can do. but the brst way ull learn is by screwing around and try to understand what u do smile) weavesmiley

it must be green