Perceptionmember
5 posts

Posted:
Um, new to this whole thing of staff-twirling, but sort of sick of practising using a broomstick. Looking to buy a staff, but not sure what length/weight etc is best? I'm not very tall myself (154cm) - and are aluminium staff easier to use than the ones with dowelling in them? Help! confused

BethMiss Whippy
1,262 posts

Posted:
Do a search for 'Staff length' or 'which staff to get' something like that, as this has been talked about a lot recently.

Basically aluminium staffs are a lot lighter than wooden ones and are easier for throws and quick spinning. If you're comfortable using a broomstick and like the length of it then try to get a staff as close as possible to that (or get one custom made) and then when you progress more, look into different lengths and weights.

Hope this helps. peace

Aim high and you'll know your limits, aim low and you'll never know how high you could have climbed.

Big AndyBRONZE Member
186 posts

Posted:
Staff dimensions are 100% personal preference.

I'm still a newb to staff, but i've figured out that I prefer heavier 1" wooden staffs over the light aluminum ones. You might feel the same, or might prefer the lighter aluminum staves. There's no right or wrong as to length either, however, length will determine what kind of moves you can do. My personal opinion is that you should start with something about as tall as your sternum. Then, as you learn some more moves and start to develop a stylistic preference, you can decide if you want to go longer or shorter with your next staff.

Get a broomstick or something and play around with the length. Start long and cut it down and see where it feels best. Then from there you can determine if you want to stick with light, skinny staves, or maybe get something beefier.

In other words, there is no "best," you just have to figure it out for yourself.

"We can't stop here! This is bat country!"

"Welcome to the U-S-A,
We'll treat you right, unless you're black or gay, or Cherokeeeeee!!"

-Brian Griffin from "Family Guy" (the dog)

GraYmember
10 posts

Posted:
I like to be able to be able to hold the staff straight out in front of me and have it clear my chest by a few inches. If you can do that everything is pretty open to you.

Weight: It all depends on your style and/or what tricks you're trying to do. I like a staff that's even all the way down so I have maximum flexibility. Many of the martial arts crowd prefer a staff that's heavy in the middle (the "toothpick" design) for stability and greater speed on the ends. If you do a lot of wrapping or other long-spin moves, weighted ends would be better as they create more momentum.

darkpoetBRONZE Member
Irish
525 posts

Posted:
my staff comes up to my shoulder but yeah its made out of wood...not too light but its not like the 5ft iron pipe i used to train with
for most people a heavy staff would be for things like contact so the staff can have enough momentum to continue on its own, and yes ive got hella lot of bruises from that pipe...but on the positive side my arms are ripped now...and andy i dont know if you got a chance to play with the wooden staff i had but i could help you make one if youd like...methinks ive gotten it down.finally

Jesus saves sinners and redeems them for cash and
prizes

Co-Founder of Keepers of Light

Educate yourself about the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

flamingfrogmember
19 posts

Posted:
My staff is nipple-height (that's right, nipple)
This is sweet as it is long enough to have heaps of room to play with and not set your hands/neck/hair on fire doing contact stuff/throws, but short enough to easily pass under your legs or arms.
I have an aluminium staff (most people i have talked to go for one about the width of their thumb), with doweling right up through the middle of it to increase the weight (for more control) and strength (for whacking people, i mean, for when i drop it!)

A paradise found is a paradise lost
-E.O. Wilson

My father had a profound influence on me. He was a lunatic
-Spike Milligan

Big AndyBRONZE Member
186 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Originally posted by Dark Poet
...and andy i dont know if you got a chance to play with the wooden staff i had but i could help you make one if youd like...methinks ive gotten it down.finally

When i get the money together, we'll do it! Might be a while though, lol. I'm still on the ole job hunt spank

Is yours 1" diameter? Or is it .75"? Seemed a decent weight when i twirled it, but I was a little inebriated, so my assessment may have been altered somewhat.

"We can't stop here! This is bat country!"

"Welcome to the U-S-A,
We'll treat you right, unless you're black or gay, or Cherokeeeeee!!"

-Brian Griffin from "Family Guy" (the dog)

_Poiboy_PLATINUM Member
bastard child of satan
1,113 posts

Posted:
how old are you? i'm 13 and I'm taller than you (1.70 meters).
I use a 130 cm staff (including the edges).

Perceptionmember
5 posts

Posted:
Yeah um I'm 21... Don't feel bad - LOTS of people are taller than me!