Tanyamember
5 posts

Posted:
Hi everyone. My marching team have just had the highlight of our proposed NZ Champs routine canned due to fire regulations at an indoor venue (teams have done fire clubs at indoor venues previously). We were hoping to use a short twirling stick.Anyway, do attachable flags give a good effect? Or should we just forget the idea and come up with something new? Cheers! TARN

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
Pairs of colourful, long, thin, triangular flag strips attached to either staff or poi look grouse house! Zunni poi i fink is the name for it..The flapping sound is really sweet - you are rewarded more if you are a faster twirler!On the downside, having two flags per end for staff *does* create significantly more drag than fire! and it's easier to tangle your poi - especially with moves involving butterflies or gerbils."'Tis but a flesh wound!"-The Black Knight

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Hi Tarn.That must have been preety annoying to deal with. When did you find out?Flags certainly look different to a plain baton, I've got some for my large firestaff and it does make it look better when practicing.It also creates a lot of drag on the staff, so be prepared for a more sluggish feel and responce to what you may be used to.Malcolm (the guy who runs this site) has some nice tails/flags designed for non-fire twirling.Have a look in the Shop at the top of this page...Sorry to hear about the fire getting cancelled frown------------------Charles (AKA INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggle.co.nz/fire/fire.html

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Tanyamember
5 posts

Posted:
Thanks for your comments Bender.Charles - we were advised by the national committe on Wednesday that we had permission to do it, so we thought 'wicked, we can do an amazing routine!' and then today, some woman (I won't mention the words we want to use) from the local area said fire regulations at the venue won't allow it. It would have been better if they just said so from the start - we can understand the regulations thing but why tell us one thing just to tell us another two days later. Aargh!Anyway, enough said. I've seen the baton with the comet tails and that sounds really good so might have to go for that one - will have to catch up with you to see how they work. Will u b there on Mon?Malcolm - UV light fittings has given us another idea - cheers for that. smile