Forums > Social Chat > be careful of your local laws....

Login/Join to Participate

I am Schwabemember
25 posts

Posted:
seems here in green bay wisconsin...the laws on fire usage are....very...tight...after talking to a lieutant, he was required to actually refer a report to juevenile services...he aksed me to post the letter I wrote to him apologzing though, so......(((Lieutenant Wilson,I would like to apologize for my poor attitude, and the lack of respect I had shown on the day when we first met. I would like to take back my actions and replace them with more appropriate signs of my acknowledgement for your concern. I know that I came off as a delinquent youth with no respect for those who not only have the power to command, but are both kind enough and willing enough to look out and offer an insightful glance at the dangers of something foolish I did. The results of a depressing day at my school, problems with my chain of friends, and the sudden surprise of our meeting when I simply wanted to be alone and relax didn’t at all help my poor attitude. I should say that after hearing more information, verified information, from an official source such as an actual fireman, it did sink in. It struck me off at the moment as repeating what I had already read, even if by my reading all I had done was look at the words. I am asking you not to judge me from just one day. Every person reflects attitudes differently, and my attitude on the surface was built up from that day, and not the meeting with you itself. I appreciate the time you have taken from your day to speak with me very much about the stupidity of something I had not taken seriously. After speaking with you I talked more with my parents and had a conversation with my brother, who also advised me of how dangerous what I was doing was, and also reckless of my surroundings. I believe there has been a large misunderstanding last we met. I never meant to come across as rude but rather frustrated with the moment and preceding of my day. Presented with the real presence of prosecution for a phase of risk taking and thrill seeking, I am now more than willing to prevent and discourage myself or anyone else from ever trying these sorts of things. After speaking with you I now understand the reasons for the ordinances and the importance that they hold. I know the act itself may have been interesting once or twice, but with serious consideration, it is not worth the health risks, the risk to the surroundings, the risk of jail, or the risk of those around. It seems simply stupid. I’m glad you were able to present this to me before anything damaging could happened. I hope you understand that I never had any bad intentions. I was simply trying out a new idea that looked interesting and exciting. After taking a step back, getting input from people close to me, and letting a professional source inform me, I see that it is a very dangerous practice that should only be done by professionals and not curious teenagers. I hope that you can understand my resolution and accept my apology. Sincerely,Eric J. Schwalbe )))

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Nice letter, well worded. However, it sounds like the mass part of your problem with this Lieutenant was more attitudinal than fire ordinance breaking.It also sounds to me that he saw your age as something to be concerned about. I may be wrong but this was not solely about fire but a mix of many things.I will agree, most areas have very strict fire regulations. This is why glowey things are so good, and with so many great LED products on the market, it is even better.I still and will always recommend going to your local fire marshall (your local fire department chief or captain will be able to refer you) BEFORE you light up. Give them all the info they want. Be polite, articulate and knowledgable (that means knowing your stuff cold so you don't fumble with papers to find answers) and you will get a clear and concise yes or no as to whether you can do fire. This helps to build a strong and honest raport, which will be your greatest alie when doing the fire arts and help to possibly avoid altercations in the future.I also have to add here that many of the younger set on here needs to realize that, while this is cool and definately an exursion of your independence, there are stricter regulations over you guys. I don't know a single fire authority who will let someone under 16 light up with approval. Nor do I know one who will look the other way when catching a kid doing fire. As much as you want to be adults, you are not yet and this is a reality you will have to face. I also need to point out that if your parents are supplying you with the fire materials, they can also get in trouble under "Endangering the Welfare of a Child" which carries a fine and possible jail time.For you younger ones the consequences of your actions reach far beyond your bodily health.Sorry you had to go through this the hard way. Hope things smoothe out for you.------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK