smittymember
104 posts

Posted:
well the doc says i have tendonitis in one shoulder and the other was parshly dislocated.he says i am out of twirling for 3 weeks. and since i have been twirling for about a month, will that bring my twirling down heaps? and is there anything i can do to help keep up my twirling while i'm out?

emptysetmember
98 posts

Posted:
how did u get all this tendinitis? was it from swinging?

Its all in good, clean, light producing fun.

smittymember
104 posts

Posted:
i have been rockclimbing for about 2 years before i started twirling so that might of been an influence, but no sudden impact, just gradual over the years i think

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
3 weeks is nothing...until the other night, I hadn't picked up my stix for about 6 months!! All I can recommend you do is perhaps work on your other hand/arm. My left hand is generally very uncooperative and I would love to isolate it and train it into submission! I'm very undisciplined though...even if I say to myself "i'm only gonna spin with my left hand tonight" I can't help myself; the right hand comes out and dominates the scene.Sieze the opportunity smileokay, so I re-read your post and actually paid attention...I see that both your shoulders are out of action. poor bugger. I now suggest you ignore the above!Re; tendonitis. I've found that I actually get a form of tendonitis in my (right) thumb area when I twirl a lot. any ideas on how to prevent this, aside from changing the way I hold the staves (not going to happen!)?flash.

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

smittymember
104 posts

Posted:
thing is i am still a newb, if i have only been going 4 weeks, 3 weeks is going to kill me. think of how many years uve been twirling, its kinda like that 4 me, there are tablets u can take to help, anti inflametery stuff, might help ya, docter told me to take them, might help ya, mabey notbest of luck

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
be positive smitty. 3 weeks is nothing compared to the future you'll have with twirling. I admire your passion though. Perhaps you can use this break to search out some suitable tunes for your impending routines?! You asked before about difficult tricks; maybe you can map out a 'kata' - a fire dance containing your highest ideals in terms of mood, length of time, music, tricks and transitions. Really take the time to think about it, then when you repair, you can set out to perfecting it. Also, may sound wanky, but if you take this time as a positive, objective break in your spinning, maybe that positive energy will flow throughout your body and aid in the strengthening of your shoulders...?I think I'd rather not use anti-inflamms. Maybe I'll put some arnica or tiger balm on it and tape it up. hmmm.just thoughts.flash

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?

smittymember
104 posts

Posted:
about this partPerhaps you can use this break to search out some suitable tunes for your impending routines?!i dont have a routen, i just twirl and twirl and twirl, i try new treick, try to perfect them and move on, how do i get started on a routene? sorry to ask but are u able to expand on ur last message, about the routene. its intreaging and might be for the bestthanks heaps flash fire

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
well, what's your style, irrespective of your current ability? are you like the warrior on that vid, are you a acid-eating spun out elf, are you more fluid and smooth and see spinning as a tribal, spiritual thing or are you a show-off (nothing wrong with that!) planning to wow onlookers? Do you get off on people being impressed by what you do, or are you in it 99% for yourself?After determining your style, think about the music. listen to the chosen piece and visualise yourself with your staff. at peaks in the music, think of a poignant trick - high toss, very fast hand to hand figure 8 etc. Don't worry if you can't do it now, because one day you'll do it with ease. during the intro or lows in the music, find a suitable trick. I always start with a helicopter in front of my body - it gets me into the flow and rthym. then go from there.each to their own though, eh? I love it because of its uniqueness.

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?

smittymember
104 posts

Posted:
i try not to be specific in my twirling, i figure the more the meryer, i love to go fast, but then sometimes slow, etc, and i have tricks loike rolling from one arms to the other behind the head, and through the legs, jump the stick, basicaly so my routene cant be specific, it can but i aint. i guess i'll have to dind a song first and work from there, so for the fast tempo i can spin fast, and for the slower my slower tricks. sounds like a plan, i am now on a mission of 3 weeks to find a mad song for me to twirl to!

FrenzieBRONZE Member
515 posts

Posted:
I too have only been twirling for about 5 weeks now and know how u feel about having the time off! But think of the long run ..... 3 weeks now, or maybe injuring your shoulder so bad u can never twirl again! I have seen many people who horse ride take that same risk with back injuries, only to be told they can never ride again due to the amount of pain they are in. . . .

- Industrial design knows of no article more useful than the milk crate -

smittymember
104 posts

Posted:
its been one day and all i want to to is get out there with my stick and twirl,AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHbut when i cant move my arm past my head i kinda know why i cant, so i'll gradualy get there

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
hey Frenz...do I make myself sound better than I actually am???!!!

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?

FrenzieBRONZE Member
515 posts

Posted:
Fire Flash, i love reading your posts!! You have a way with words that i can only dream of!(no sarcasm noted)

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
I might add this little point.Tendonitis can develop into much more severe dilibitating conditions - some permanent - if you ignore it.Would you rather lose 3 weeks of twirling, or risk losing the rest of your life twirling?Choice is easy for me...and think about it...you've only been twirling for 5 weeks...in the scheme of things that wont really make a big difference now will it?work on your planning....think about the structure of your moves, imagine your twirling...you will be surprised at how much difference visualisation of your planned moves makes...its very very good. Well worth it if you wont be able to twirl any how smile)Seeya,------------------[Josh][Sound beams producing arcs of light]

smittymember
104 posts

Posted:
i agree Frenzie, if u look at my posts flash fire has always given me the answer, more than enough infoand josh, i know, i aint going ot get out there and twirl. i aint the bad to go out and blow it all, its just the temptation is bloody anoying[This message has been edited by smitty (edited 31 January 2001).]

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
FRENZ:: I was talking about my fire spinning, not my literary prowess!! Aha! avoiding the real question...you must think I'm no good with the fire. Go on, gimme some positive affirmation. I'm needy.[This message has been edited by flash fire (edited 31 January 2001).]

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?

smittymember
104 posts

Posted:
ur spining, well what can i say, if you can master a high throw with 3 reveloutions and catch it behind ur back (as said in an earlier post), ur doing something right thats 4 sure, i am having trouble with the one rev through, i can sometimes catch it, about 1 in 30, so 3 would be a real bugger[This message has been edited by smitty (edited 31 January 2001).]

FrenzieBRONZE Member
515 posts

Posted:
Nah Fire flash u suck :P hehehe, thats why i always stop and watch when u start twirling smile *grin*You have inspired me heaps!!i was worried the other day, surrounded by you and alderaangrrl!!!!

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
Frenzie and I got together the other night with some others for a burn. It was great meeting up with other people, sharing tricks and even just spectating. Smitty - are you implying that I'm wordy "more than enough info"????!!! wink I don't want to sound as though I'm being el primo fire goddess, I'm just blathering on, you know. smile

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?

smittymember
104 posts

Posted:
nah mate, not wordy, its a complement, when i enquire, u reply with what i need to know

FrenzieBRONZE Member
515 posts

Posted:
I wish i could be an el-primo fire person :/one day soon though!!!

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
to be sure, to be sure Frenz...just look at the stuff you picked up the other night.In the short time I've known you I've seen you learn several new tricks and your fluidity is ever-improving. You are determined: you set your mind to it and you keep trying until you succeed.You will go far in anything you try in life. Seems to me that determination and persistence are an integral part of your personality.Hooray!

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?

FrenzieBRONZE Member
515 posts

Posted:
I know who im going to get to write my next reference smileFlattery will get you everywhere Fire Flash smile

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Ouch! I know that tendonitis. I knock my left arm out for three months in a fall. I was lucky enough to have my right arm to play with. I think the visualization bit is a great idea. If you're hankering to do something physical that contributes to your poi, work on you legwork while your arms are healing. I so know that frustration, but believe it or not, I was actually grateful in the end cuz I learned all kinds of new stuff I wouldn't have learned if I'd been able-bodied the whole time. DianaPS: It does end.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
How about to keep practice finger twirling, twirling a pencil in a simiar manner between your fingers. Helps them to stay conditioned.I have a web of hairline fractures in my wrist, I have been informed that any impact could shatter it but I look at it this way...I can fall down the stairs as eaily as doing something spinning. As far as follow Dr. order's. Three weeks might set you back from something you love, but you'll pick up again and in the end three weeks is better than permanent forever damage.Anit-inflamatories are great but don't let them sucker you into a feeling of no pain security. They take the swelling and sometimes the pain away but the injury is still there.Heal quickly!------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
If it makes you feel better - I can't actually twirl a staff (its been ages) due to a case of carpel (sp?) tunnel. My pinky and my fourth finger are asleep and numb all the time!=(Hope you get better soon.